PDA

View Full Version : Radeon HD3850 AGP

Killswitch
02-19-2008, 06:52 PM
No Sir, it's not a typo.

It looks like gamers with an older system can still chug along if they don't have the cash to perform a complete make over.

http://www.powercolor.com/Global/products_features.asp?ProductID=1730

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/02/14/agp-nth-coming

Cruel_Intentions
02-19-2008, 09:12 PM
kind of half to wonder how much it costs and how well it performs versus it's PCI-E counterpart. I would think it would be severly bandwidth limited. Could possibly be cheaper to purchase a new motherboard that has PCI-E and a lower end graphics card that will out perform this combination for a cheaper price

Killswitch
02-20-2008, 12:04 AM
Well if you buy a new mobo you might as well also pick up new RAM and a CPU. Grabbing this card for around $200 and squeaking by may be worth it to some people, depending on exactly what they plan on playing and/or using it for.

I'm starting to think that the maximum bandwidth available in PCIe and AGP slots, although vastly different, is mostly there for peak times during use. We saw how the 2900pro and 1950pro was pretty much at par with their equals. I guess the only way to truely know is wait for a better comparative review, or buy that Asrock mobo from Hans (which is a great piece by the way.... wish I still had mine to tinker with /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif ) and buy the PCIe and AGP versions of the 3850 to test on an equal field.

Dig out yer wallet! lol

filthy
02-20-2008, 05:44 PM
I believe the price makes this go from a nice upgrade to hard to justify.

Karl
02-20-2008, 05:48 PM
AGP is not worth the price for it, it is suggested to upgrade to PCI-E.

Killswitch
02-20-2008, 07:28 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GRB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AGP is not worth the price for it, it is suggested to upgrade to PCI-E. </div></div>
For hardcore gaming yeah...... but for mild gaming and multimedia stuff it's good if your older AGP system is working perfectly. There are some decent 939 and 775 AGP boards out there that some people are wanting to get there money out of still.

Spending $200 on a video card, then another $500+ for mobo, cpu and ram may not be worth it or feasible for some people.

Cruel_Intentions
02-20-2008, 09:30 PM
For a LGA775 AGP board it wouldn't nearly be that expensive. Most people can use the same processor and ram on a $60 motherboard

filthy
02-20-2008, 10:30 PM
The Asrock dual 939 or 775 board makes this card ideal. Solid motherboard.