PDA

View Full Version : Vista Task Manager

KDawg
02-26-2008, 12:29 PM
I have a laptop running Vista Home Premium with 2GB of RAM. When I open the Task Manager, under the Performance tab, I read the following.

Physical Memory
Total 2,037
Cached 1,210
Free 57

At the bottom right of that window reads Physical Memory 47%.
All these readings were with the laptop sitting idle, nothing running (except in the background).

57 free seems awfully low and 47% seems high. Am I reading it correctly? Can these settings be changed for better performance?

filthy
02-26-2008, 04:19 PM
Mine says the same, and the difference is the cached memory is memory that is free to the system but not actually free to you...lol.

Hans
02-26-2008, 04:48 PM
Microsoft's way of putting substance behind claims vista is much better at managing memory versus any other Windows version, is to grab everything you have and turn it into "cache".

The funny thing is, if you look under kernel memory, you will notice more then 50% is paged.

If they would only be so smart as to keep the kernel in memory and cached at all times, unless required to free up memory, I bet it would feel a lot more responsive...

Having a big cache does nothing for you besides slow you down. A low memory system should try to avoid caching at all costs, to free up much needed memory for the applications you actually use.

KDawg
02-26-2008, 07:46 PM
Thanks. So is there any way to free up the memory, or am I stuck with a high cache? Or would it even matter?

General Lee
02-26-2008, 09:53 PM
switch to xp lol

Hans
02-26-2008, 10:13 PM
They claim the cache boosts performance under Vista. Personally, I think it's a way of cheating performance numbers, as you have no way of actually testing that feature.
There's no way to disable that "feature" in Vista, as far as I am aware.

GirlNextDoor
02-27-2008, 03:06 AM
ya turn off drive shadowing and turn down the size of your restore points. i had the same issue. and i have a lot of ram in my desktop. as for the comment about switching back to XP, i spit on XP now that ive been running vista flawlessly on this laptop for 4 months on the same install being used by multiple people and no issues. and to boot something dont work right in this laptop and vista still runs perfectly fine, minus the occasional lockup.

filthy
02-27-2008, 05:10 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Object X</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> as for the comment about switching back to XP, i spit on XP now that ive been running vista flawlessly...for months...</div></div>

ditto

Hans
02-27-2008, 05:47 PM
Just like WHS, runs flawless also. Or so they claim...

filthy
02-27-2008, 05:55 PM
I'm not saying MS claims that Vista runs flawlessly, I am claiming that it does...for me so far.

GirlNextDoor
02-27-2008, 06:02 PM
so far all of the vista issues that ive seen people have usually lie somewhere between the monitor and the chair

Hans
02-27-2008, 09:34 PM
I actually had continuous data corruption on my previous build, until I switched the bios from SATA to IDE mode for my SataII hdd.
I have never figured out why, but I think it might have been a driver related issue. But since the driver came with Vista, you can't put the blame on my end...

filthy
02-28-2008, 01:17 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Object X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so far all of the vista issues that ive seen people have usually lie somewhere between the monitor and the chair </div></div>

hahaha...that was hilarious, and likely true, but I'm guessing Hans knows what he's doing around a PC.

hemi_69
02-28-2008, 10:29 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Object X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so far all of the vista issues that ive seen people have usually lie somewhere between the monitor and the chair </div></div>

Most problems usually are pebkac errors lol

Hans
02-28-2008, 03:50 PM
Vista SP1 has gold status now. Check the review over at Anandtech to see what's new under the hood.

PrairieDog43
02-28-2008, 05:00 PM
I also disabled restore on my laptop. I use Ghost now. Everytime I change a setting, use Ghost.

Vista home-premium has worked flawless for me.

Hans
02-28-2008, 05:54 PM
I used to swear by Ghost, but I now trust Acronis more. Ghost is still a good program, but Acronis has much more functions for home network environments then Ghost has.