PDA

View Full Version : Shaw

kuietgrl (got lost)
03-01-2008, 11:36 AM
Ok I have Shaw internet and about every hour ALL day EVERY day...my internet shuts off and I have to reset my modem and router and hope it comes back on. What the heck could the issue be? Is it something on my end? Or is Shaw really that crappy?

binky
03-01-2008, 12:04 PM
i bet your router is funky try changing it. I have a wired one you can try for a while.

Chrylon
03-01-2008, 12:11 PM
what is the manufacturer of your modem? if it's Terayon(or similar spelling) contact Shaw and have them replace your modem with a Motorola modem. if not try a different router or connecting the modem directly to your computer.

kuietgrl (got lost)
03-01-2008, 12:17 PM
It is a Motorola modem. And all of my crap is wired together, nothing is wireless...someone from Shaw is supposed to come out and look at the connection tomorrow morning. I'm just getting really frustrated. We've only had this service for a couple months. Even if I unhook my router, it still happens.

Strife
03-01-2008, 01:03 PM
Then its most likely your modem or the inside wiring. I had this same problem a few years back and it turned out to be the wiring. What could be going on is that your modem is not achieving a strong enough signal from Shaw and constantly disconnecting. I am sure the Shaw guy will figure it out.

hemi_69
03-01-2008, 02:49 PM
so if you're using a router, do you have more than one computer?

kuietgrl (got lost)
03-01-2008, 03:23 PM
No the router is to connect the xbox to the computer.

hemi_69
03-01-2008, 03:47 PM
is the xbox online?

kuietgrl (got lost)
03-01-2008, 03:48 PM
Nope. Just connects to the computer to watch movies.

hemi_69
03-01-2008, 03:49 PM
does it ever loose connection to the computer?

kuietgrl (got lost)
03-01-2008, 03:49 PM
The xbox? Only when the computer shuts off lol

hemi_69
03-01-2008, 03:54 PM
kk, then I would deffenitly say it's either a bad modem or a bad connection, not the computer itself and you have already determined it isn't the router.
do you have cable through shaw? if so check channels 2 and 3 and see if they are fuzzy

kuietgrl (got lost)
03-01-2008, 03:59 PM
No TV service lol Just some nice old rabbit ears /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif

The Shaw guy is supposed to come tomorrow between 8 and 10 am and I've already called them multiple times to complain and they're willing to credit my account because I basically have no internet lol It cuts off every few minutes and will stay off for a very long time unless I disconnect and reconnect all the little plugs in the back of the modem.

With my luck, the guy will come and say there's no problem /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/computer.gif

Still better than Bell, though lol

hemi_69
03-01-2008, 05:25 PM
sounds like it is deffenitly their issue, I'm sure they'll get you fixed up tomorrow

lotsagifts
03-26-2008, 06:58 PM
I am having the same problem. After complaining over and over and over and over again, I got a free month of service, yippee, if only the service didn't suck. They told me it was "a signal problem". Now after several service calls, I am finally supposed to have it fixed and a "maintenance" call will now be made to do work at the pole outside.