PDA

View Full Version : Anti-gay stance hits YouTube

adigirl
03-10-2008, 09:01 PM
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2008/03/10/dnt.ok.lawmaker.anti.gay.kwtv

/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif

sage
03-10-2008, 09:43 PM
I think I watched about 1 minute of it and found an interesting video below of cars spinning around on icy roads.
/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wavey.gif

adigirl
03-10-2008, 09:49 PM
She is in the wrong. Period.

sage
03-10-2008, 09:56 PM
Oh defintely agreed. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

KDawg
03-10-2008, 10:03 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adigirl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">She is in the wrong. Period. </div></div>

How so?

adigirl
03-10-2008, 10:07 PM
It is not appropriate in her leadership position to say that.

03-10-2008, 10:14 PM
Hey, in Canada she would be up in front of a Human Rights Commission, and possibly charged with a hate crime. Canada is way ahead of the USA when it comes to restricting freedom of speech.

adigirl
03-10-2008, 10:16 PM
Talk like that leads to hate crimes. You know, grade 8 kids killing other grade 8 kids. They get the wrong messages.

binky
03-10-2008, 10:20 PM
do you mean politically correct?? If she represents her constituents then so be it they vote for her

KDawg
03-10-2008, 10:22 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adigirl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is not appropriate in her leadership position to say that. </div></div>

Why not?

What I heard in the video is that she thinks gays and lesbians should be allowed to live as they wish, but that she believes it's immoral.

Aside from the belief by some that we should be bowing at the altar of political correctness, what's wrong with that?

BTW, this was a speech she was invited to give.

adigirl
03-10-2008, 10:24 PM
Tell that to the dead gay kids who's murderers got the message she is spewing.

adigirl
03-10-2008, 10:25 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KDawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adigirl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is not appropriate in her leadership position to say that. </div></div>

Why not?

What I heard in the video is that she thinks gays and lesbians should be allowed to live as they wish, but that she believes it's immoral.

Aside from the belief by some that we should be bowing at the altar of political correctness, what's wrong with that?

BTW, this was a speech she was invited to give. </div></div>

"Gays are worse then terrorists" That is the problem

Westender 3
03-10-2008, 11:11 PM
Life is so much easier when you make reality conform to your beliefs instead of the other way around.

dancingqueen
03-11-2008, 01:16 AM
I know in Canada (not sure if it is any different in other countries) people in positions of influence and power are discouraged against publicly voicing personal opinions like Judges and such, I think a person in her position should also be discouraged against saying such things no matter what the opinions are, however I do also think she does have the right to free speech. The way I see it is that she is voicing her opinion and stating it as such, she is not trying to claim anything as fact so, I don't see it as anything causing more harm since the people that take her "side" are likely people that already shared the same experience. she does not seem to be trying to convince anyone, although I would have to see one of her videos to make an accurate judgent on that..
just my two measly cents /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

adigirl
03-11-2008, 09:35 AM
So would your answers be any different if a person in power said "Jews are worse than Terrorists" or "Blacks are worse than terrorists"?

dancingqueen
03-12-2008, 12:28 AM
yes, it is just an opinion, she is entitled to that opinion. It is when she begins to allow this opinion to effect the way she does her job, then it is a problem.

adigirl
03-12-2008, 08:18 AM
I respect your view. For me, I think she is way in the wrong. When you are in a position of power like that, or with other jobs in free countries, you have to censor what you say. That is just reality. What she is spewing is hate and that is just not acceptable in my opinion in her position. It is bad enough we have idiots for leaders (Bushie-poo for one) and leaders that set bad examples with affairs and illegal dealings. We do not need one that spews this kind of hatred. I am thinking in terms of my children. I would hate for them to hear that kind of BS. I don't want them to be raised to judge, fear and reject others due to skin color, religion or whether they are straight, gay or bisexual.

03-12-2008, 08:36 AM
See, here is my problem with many of these kinds of questions.

If and when I enter these discussions to say something like, "The gay lifestyle is morally wrong.." there is a chorus like response saying, "Who are you to say what is right nad wrong? Who are you to judge? No one can tell what is right or wrong for some one else."

Yet, in that very response, you are admitting that there IS suvch a thing as right and wrong, and are judging the matter just as ferociously.

SO, the basic question is "Is there such a thing as absolute right and wrong?"

Until you have agreement on THAT question, you're all over the place on this one.

Obviously this lady on Youtube has taken a moral stand, and she will pay the price for her courage.

adigirl
03-12-2008, 09:27 AM
The sky IS blue.

Barry Morris
03-12-2008, 10:05 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adigirl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The sky IS blue. </div></div>

Not a very useful response.

adigirl
03-12-2008, 06:16 PM
How's this,

I believe in right and wrong. She is wrong.

03-12-2008, 06:22 PM
Where do you get your sense of right and wrong? Who are you to say whether she is right or wrong?

Hans
03-12-2008, 06:36 PM
Who are you to ask whether someone is right or wrong? Knife cuts both ways. In my opinion, you are all wrong.

KDawg
03-12-2008, 08:18 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adigirl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I respect your view. For me, I think she is way in the wrong...... I am thinking in terms of my children. I would hate for them to hear that kind of BS. I don't want them to be raised to judge, fear and reject others due to skin color, religion or whether they are straight, gay or bisexual. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adigirl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How's this,

I believe in right and wrong. She is wrong. </div></div>

Who are you to judge? You can't just leave people to live their own lives, can you?

adigirl
03-12-2008, 08:37 PM
Not in this case. How's the glass house Kdawg?

Barry Morris
03-12-2008, 08:38 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aydeloof</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where do you get your sense of right and wrong? Who are you to say whether she is right or wrong? </div></div>

???

KDawg
03-12-2008, 08:49 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adigirl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not in this case. </div></div>

So then you believe there are absolute truths.

adigirl
03-12-2008, 08:51 PM
I believe that the message that, gays are worse then terrorists, is what makes 8 graders fear and respond with violence.

Hans
03-12-2008, 08:51 PM
Millions of people around the world believe in religion, which is basically a believe in an absolute truth. Odd eh?

Chakra
03-12-2008, 10:52 PM
Just more hate and judgement coming from a Christian. Some immoral people just can't be happy unless they are proping themselves up higher then others, even when things are of absolutely no concern to them.

What these Christians are doing is the absolute opposite of love and compassion. Anybody that has true empathy for their fellow human beings would know on a spiritual level to never attack and judge like this.

A truly spiritual person would never, NEVER speak like this woman. This is hatred masked in the guise of false morals. All you Christians who actually agree with this women, need to step back and look at the roots of compassion, caring and what it means to be a truly "good" person.

Barry Morris
03-13-2008, 02:44 AM
In other words, you are judging her.

"Anybody that has true empathy for their fellow human beings would know on a spiritual level to never attack and judge like this."

03-13-2008, 08:43 AM
The dogma of tolerance (intolerance in disguise). The wonderful postmodern way of self-contradiction.

To disagree with me is to hate me. Hating me is not yet a deed; merely a thought, therefore there are now thought crimes, and if you express those thoughts, you are villified and in Canada, charged and fined. It's not okay to hate the homosexual lifestyle, but it is quite okay to hate those who express concern about it.

The thought police have truly arrived.

Is it morally wrong to hate an action or a lifestyle?
Is it wrong to express that hatred?

It is interesting how this kind of politically correct anti-freedom of speech almost feels like a religion.

KDawg
03-13-2008, 09:00 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aydeloof</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is interesting how this kind of politically correct anti-freedom of speech almost feels like a religion.
</div></div>

Or a police state.

adigirl
03-13-2008, 09:38 AM
The rest of her speech is an opinion that she can say. The part I have the problem with is her statement that "Gays are worse than Terrorists". WTF is that all about? That is dangerous talk from a person who is in a postion of power and who is suppose to be a role model. It is this kind of talk that contributes to the violence against minorities. It teaches people that being gay is so horrible that you should fear for your life.

She can think that gay life is immoral and she can talk about it all she wants. I personally do not believe in the BS myself. It is the one statement she made that was way out of line. Next thing you know Bush will listen to her as proof that America is at risk from gays. Then he'll find their clubs and homes and bomb them.

Hans
03-13-2008, 10:15 AM
She should not have used these peoples' sickness against them.

adigirl
03-13-2008, 11:01 AM
I know where you sleep.

MaO3
03-13-2008, 11:22 AM
I agree with you adi, I think that her opinion is her own, but when she voices it in that manner it becomes a problem.

To compare Gays to terrorists to me is way beyond acceptable.

I don't give a flying fig what she thinks about the gay lifestyle but to to say what she did in her position, I feel is wrong.

Chakra
03-13-2008, 02:54 PM
To attack under the guise of religion is a lot different then freedom of speech. She is adopting a stance based on propaganda(christianity), and taking that as a morally higher stance or some spiritual stance. Which to me, is very wrong.

If she was a truly spiritual person, she wouldn't be attacking in the first place. Spiritual people, do not attack, they love unconditionally like a good parent.

If she was making an argument based on fact, that's totally different, but she is not. She is redistributing hateful dogma.

Barry Morris
03-13-2008, 05:24 PM
Chakra, you just re-worded what you said before. My response again must be:

"In other words, you are judging her.

"Anybody that has true empathy for their fellow human beings would know on a spiritual level to never attack and judge like this."

By the way, I DO believe calling gays terrorists is over the top.

Question: Is a person who attacks another's beliefs a terrorist? Not actions, mind you, beliefs.

GenX
03-15-2008, 11:28 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adigirl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know where you sleep. </div></div>

A park bench, knowing Canada.

dancingqueen
03-15-2008, 08:48 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adigirl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The rest of her speech is an opinion that she can say. The part I have the problem with is her statement that "Gays are worse than Terrorists". WTF is that all about? That is dangerous talk from a person who is in a postion of power and who is suppose to be a role model. It is this kind of talk that contributes to the violence against minorities. It teaches people that being gay is so horrible that you should fear for your life.

She can think that gay life is immoral and she can talk about it all she wants. I personally do not believe in the BS myself. It is the one statement she made that was way out of line. Next thing you know Bush will listen to her as proof that America is at risk from gays. Then he'll find their clubs and homes and bomb them.
</div></div>

so what I am getting is freedom of speech onl applies to some people?

Hans
03-16-2008, 10:42 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R W G R</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adigirl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know where you sleep. </div></div>

A park bench, knowing Canada. </div></div>

I would not want to take your bed away RWGR.

adigirl
03-19-2008, 10:09 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dancingqueen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

so what I am getting is freedom of speech onl applies to some people? </div></div>

R u ok with a child molester who is out of jail preaching n parks about the benefits of having intercourse with a child?

dancingqueen
03-19-2008, 12:48 PM
I never said I was okay with it, but it is most certanly within their rights, untill it begins to interfere with the rights of others.