PDA

View Full Version : Copy Protection

Ultra54
03-12-2008, 01:42 PM
Brian Wardell from Stardock Entertainment's take on copy protection.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So even though Galactic Civilizations II sold 300,000 copies making 8 digits in revenue on a budget of less than $1 million, it's still largely off the radar. I practically have to agree to mow editors lawns to get coverage. And you should see Jeff Green's (Games for Windows) yard. I still can't find my hedge trimmers.

Another game that has been off the radar until recently was Sins of a Solar Empire. With a small budget, it has already sold about 200,000 copies in the first month of release. It's the highest rated PC game of 2008 and probably the best selling 2008 PC title. Neither of these titles have CD copy protection.

Wardell also talked about why they don't feel putting copy protection on their games in in their best interest:

The reason why we don't put copy protection on our games isn't because we're nice guys. We do it because the people who actually buy games don't like to mess with it. Our customers make the rules, not the pirates. Pirates don't count. We know our customers could pirate our games if they want but choose to support our efforts. So we return the favor - we make the games they want and deliver them how they want it. This is also known as operating like every other industry outside the PC game industry.

</div></div>
For the record I proudly bought and paid for Sins of a Solar Empire and Gal Civ 2

filthy
03-12-2008, 02:37 PM
For the record I proudly purchased many games this year already, and many years before, although I have played many games I have not purchased. Don't want to be a pirate, but I can't afford to buy every game out there that I want to play.

Recently purchased games;

God of War: Chains of Olympus (PSP)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii)
Turning Point: Fall of Liberty (PC)
Crysis: Special Edition (PC)
Rock Band (XBOX 360)
Guitar Hero III (PC)
Guitar Hero II (XBOX 360)
Unreal Tournament 3 (PC)
Heavenly Sword (PS3)
Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (NDS)
Ninja Gaiden Sigma (PS3)

p.s. God of War: Chains of Olympus is the BEST hand held game I've ever played.

Ultra54
03-13-2008, 02:51 AM
I have spent thousands in games I bet. I try to buy them all if they are good.

B.David
03-14-2008, 09:57 PM
I eventually want to own all my games legally, but in the beginning, I'll burn them and wait for prices to get to a range I prefer ($20-$35 new) and purchase them at that time.

Since I very recently got interested in SingStar, I actually bought SingStar Amped yesterday, and plan to buy more when I can afford it, even though I already have a couple burned ones from the series.

As for 360... kinda been burning a LOT this week, some with no intention of purchasing as I don't see myself spending much time with them after eventually finishing them once.

Strife
03-19-2008, 11:44 AM
With more and more games comming out with less than stellar replay value, its not surprising that most decide to mod their consoles to play burnt games and download cracked games for PC. Not only that but the prices than some companies want for their games is rediculous. Thats my take on it.

Ultra54
03-19-2008, 11:49 AM
I disagree. A game is a game like a movie is a movie. Replay value isn't something to really put a price on, more like a bonus. It costs alot to make a game and publish it and I won't deny that people have to make money to survive. There isn't too many game makers making a killing and if they do, they deserve it.

DeleteAccout
03-19-2008, 05:54 PM
I did a little research, and once I start my job, I'll be building my system with the DVD Drive flashed with Kreon needed to rip / burn 360 titles. This 360 has been a pain the the arse, so Im just going to go the route Link did .... Soft Mods.

I gave up trying to deal with this crap. Im buying an elite. Too many issues with these old systems