PDA

View Full Version : Vista SP1 is out

Hans
03-19-2008, 02:25 PM
As the title says, it's finally out for both 32 and 64 bit Vista.

General Lee
03-19-2008, 03:06 PM
whats the big deal about it?

filthy
03-19-2008, 03:36 PM
If you read the release notes...LOTS!!!

Many fixes, improvements and optimizations...

oneof3
03-19-2008, 10:31 PM
Haha. Really.....

binky
03-20-2008, 06:17 PM
BIG MISTAKE do a complete backup before trying it, if it prompts you to restore - do the restore. It seriously crashed my machine

filthy
03-20-2008, 06:39 PM
Worked for me on the Beta. I uninstalled it and just finished backing up all my data before I try the finished one.

You should always back up your sh*t before doing anything serious.

Hans
03-21-2008, 12:23 PM
Wont even install on mine, bah. Oh well, I don't really use Vista anyways.

Chako
03-21-2008, 07:07 PM
Installed it with no issues.

filthy
03-21-2008, 07:43 PM
Ditto

binky
03-21-2008, 08:26 PM
from what i've read at pc magazine no big loss

filthy
03-21-2008, 11:29 PM
haha...tons of good fixes, doesn't anyone ever read release notes or just skim read a short article and adopt that opinion as their own?

Chako
03-22-2008, 08:03 AM
I will say though, the longer I use Vista, the less I like it. Not anything that I can point my finger on...well...user controls and its constant incessant nagging when I decide to take full control of my computer (in reality, a false hope as Vista is designed to safely cocoon me in gossamer shackles).

Hmm...that pretty much sums it up. I think XP was the height of Windows development. Vista has certain things in it that royally tick me off at times. I run XP on both my laptops. Vista on the desktop. So far, Vista’s likeability is still in a quandary with me. However, SP 1 did install with no issues (unlike another update that crashed my computer to a state of having to reinstall the OS a month after jumping on board the vista express..er….milk run.

binky
03-22-2008, 09:57 AM
how could i have an opinion about it when it didnt install?
I'm sure microsoft included a ton of wonderfull fixes in sp1 it would be nice however if it put the drivers back the way it found them. Unfortunately for me I dont have the time nor patience anymore so for now I'm going as far as turning off automatic updates so no more vista crud gets gummed up in here lol.

filthy
03-22-2008, 12:26 PM
You tried installing it, but it failed, if you had the beta SP1 and didn't remove it...that would have done it. As for turning off automatic updates, you might as well go back to XP as you'll probably get malware by not staying up to date.

And Chako, are you talking about the UAC? Turn it off, I have had that annoying feature turned off since I had Vista.

I am probably biased because I am a gamer, and Vista offers the best gaming experience.

binky
03-22-2008, 12:45 PM
nah there's a setting to let me know what updates there are without downloading any.

Andre
03-23-2008, 12:28 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hans</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wont even install on mine, bah. Oh well, I don't really use Vista anyways. </div></div>

This might be why
InformationWeek SP1 (http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/showArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=M00OEHVBWZIY0QSNDLSCK HA?articleID=206905001)

Chako
03-23-2008, 08:10 AM
Andre, I would say that is a good reason why some are having a lot of troubles and others aren't. I have the Nforce 680i chipset. The same chipset that will prevent me from upgrading to the new 45nm Intel quad cores due to a hardware compatibility issue even though it said full support on the box.

Got to love electronics.

As for the nagging, turn it off and watch Vista nag you more for a long time in the start bar. I haven't really looked at eliminating this extra "Vista" feature. I have gotten quite used to absentmindedly turning the bubble off without a glance or a skip in my actions.

binky
03-23-2008, 10:21 AM
hp support

Priestly K: Welcome to HP Total Care for Pavilion desktops. My name is Priestly. How may I assist you today?
ed : hi oh itsa about vista sp1
Priestly K: Hi Ed, how are you doing today?
Priestly K: OKay.
ed : i noticed on your driver update page realtek and the gma 950 update
ed : but there wasnt any other updates regarding intel 945g
Priestly K: May I know what is the exact issue you are facing with the computer?
ed : I tried to install sp1 on it a couple days ago and it crashed the computer severely
Priestly K: What is the issue you are facing after installing SP1?
ed : I cant give you specifics because windows couldnt start and couldn't be fixed automatically on restart
ed : its fine now as i was able to get to a restore point prior to instalation
Priestly K: Okay.
ed : Upon reading more about problems encountered microsoft says that chipset intel 945G express wont work with sp1 as well as reltek drivers versions....... and intels gma graphic wont work untill updated
Priestly K: Exactly. This is a know issue with SP1 and SP1 have also issue with Nvidia.
ed : you have updates available for realtek and the graphics core but nothing for the chipset am I missing something?
Priestly K: No, currently there is no update released by the manufacturer(realtek and Intel).
ed : ok so I cant get sp1 for now?
Priestly K: Yes, there are some known issues with SP1 and some drivers.
Priestly K: Please open a new Internet Explorer web page and copy paste the link provided below in the address bar.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948481

NOTE: The URL above will take you to a non HP website. HP does not control and is not responsible for information outside of the HP website.
Priestly K: The above steps is only for audio driver.
ed : I understand but you DO have updates for realtek and the graphics core though that apparently work my question is, is there no update or something for the issue with chipset 945 yet?
Priestly K: Ed, these updates are released before the SP1 releasing and there is no chipset driver update released as we have shipped the computer with the latest version. Once the driver is released, it will be installed through HP update or can check in hp web page software and driver downloads.
ed : ok thank you for the info and have a good day
Priestly K: It's great pleasure to assist an understanding person like you.
Priestly K: I apologize for the inconvenience caused.
Priestly K: Is there any thing else I can assist you with HP Computers now?
ed : no problem no thanx I'm sure I'll chat with you again seeya
Priestly K: If you have any issue with HP computer, please get back to us. We are more than happy to assist you.
Priestly K: Thank you for contacting HP Total Care Real-Time chat support. If you need further assistance, please contact us again at: http://www.hp.com/support/chat. Chat support is available 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week.
Priestly K: Bye, take care.

Hans
03-23-2008, 11:56 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Andre</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hans</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wont even install on mine, bah. Oh well, I don't really use Vista anyways. </div></div>

This might be why
InformationWeek SP1 (http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/showArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=M00OEHVBWZIY0QSNDLSCK HA?articleID=206905001) </div></div>

Nope, P35 chipset. It does it's thing for close to an hour, reboots, and then tells me the installation was not succesful and gives me some kind of error code that does not really tell me anything. (In the KB that is linked to that error code)

Maybe I try the one from windows update, see if that one does the trick.

Hans
03-23-2008, 12:03 PM
Cancel that, not available on Windows update until mid April...

filthy
03-23-2008, 12:45 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hans</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cancel that, not available on Windows update until mid April... </div></div>

I got my SP1 update from Windows Update on all 3 of my Vista computers over the last two days...not sure where you got that information.

Hans
03-23-2008, 08:22 PM
I don't know how you did that then, because it's not listed on windows update. It does not show up when you do an update check using Microsoft Update.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/sp1.mspx

In mid-April, SP1 will automatically download and install on Windows Vista–based PCs that have automatic updating turned on. This is the easiest and most convenient way to update a Windows Vista–based PC, and we strongly encourage using this method. You can, however, download and install Windows Vista SP1 manually from the Microsoft Download Center.

Chako
03-23-2008, 08:49 PM
Hmmmm...

Once I read it on here, I went to my control panel, clicked on Windows Update, and presto, it was ready to upload and install.

You are correct, it was not automatically downloaded and ready to install via the usual route.

Chako
03-23-2008, 10:22 PM
Just found this news article. Looks like a lot of angry customers. Er...what else is new.

Angry Vista users vent over SP1 driver issues (http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=windows&articleId=9070578&taxonomyId=125&intsrc=kc_top)

binky
03-23-2008, 11:07 PM
yeah surprise surprise according to microsoft I shoudn't have even been offered sp1 thru windows update I had 3 strikes against me with the chipset,graphics and audio

filthy
03-24-2008, 02:17 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chako</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hmmmm...Once I read it on here, I went to my control panel, clicked on Windows Update, and presto, it was ready to upload and install.

You are correct, it was not automatically downloaded and ready to install via the usual route.</div></div>

Your answer makes no sense. You did get it through windows update, because the only other alternative was to download it yourself manually from a Microsoft site. There are different settings for Windows Update, mine is to notify me, but not automatically install or download.

Chako
03-24-2008, 03:07 AM
My answer makes sense. I had to go look for it. It did not notify me, nor did it automatically download it. I did use the updater, however, I had to manually look for it on their server.

binky
03-24-2008, 07:23 AM
"nor did it automatically download it"
windows update was supposed to recognise machines with 'problematic' drivers and delay downloading the thing according to ms technet

filthy
03-24-2008, 01:08 PM
That's probly why all 3 of my Vista machines did it automatically, they are all legit and there are no conflicts.

Chako
03-24-2008, 02:18 PM
My copy is legit if that is what you are insinuating. Furthermore, I can obviously run it with no issues as I have downloaded it, and installed it with no problems.

filthy
03-24-2008, 03:06 PM
I am not insinuating anything, I have not paid for everything I have ever used on PC's. This is all just a discussion, an exchange of ideas and comments.

SP1 is obviously rolling out in full swing, but will take time to get to everyone. I clicked Windows update and it was there on my gaming desktop as it have it set to not download or install automatically, but on my wife's laptop it's automatic and SP1 installed automatically.