PDA

View Full Version : "So this seal walks into a club..."



GenX
03-22-2008, 12:39 PM
"It is time to be ashamed to be a Canadian, because it is again time for the state-sponsored slaughter of 275,000 harp seals on the ice floes of the Gulf of St. Lawrence and the North Atlantic Ocean. As Canadians worldwide parade Canada around as a champion of social and environmental enlightenment, we in turn sit apathetically by while the largest mass slaughter of marine animals occurs on our waters, at the hands of Canadian citizens.

Is this the social and environmental enlightenment Canadians brag of, or are we too ignorant to know what is occurring within our own borders? For those who are unaware, the Department of Fisheries and Oceans asserts that seals are major predators to cod, and in an effort to revitalize the East Coast cod fishery, an annual seal hunt is necessary. However, this declaration ignores nearly all scientific research, which is that cod accounts for only 3 per cent of the dietary intake of harp seals, while the other 97 per cent consists mainly of fish that are predators to cod.

The government is seemingly just trying to pass the blame for its mismanagement of the cod fishery in the first place. After all, the decline of the cod fishery couldn't have had anything to do with the drag trawler fleets that plundered the Grand Banks for decades, could it?"

LINK (http://www.thestar.com/comment/article/349220)

My only argument with this is that she says "It is time to be ashamed to be Canadian". That seems to infer there was a time when one shouldn't be ashamed to be Canadian. Obviously that is wrong.

Barry Morris
03-23-2008, 08:33 AM
So now he's a tree hugger. Obviously only to argue.

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/seal-phoque/faq_e.htm

GenX
03-24-2008, 09:28 AM
Not at all!

Does one need to be a "tree hugger" to know that government involvement in the slaughter of tens of thousands of innocent seals means that government is hypocritical?

I think not.