PDA

View Full Version : Stray Black Dog

Intangible
03-23-2008, 09:05 AM
Stray black dog, medium sized, medium-length hair.

Found loose in the Strand Ave./ Northern Heights area. He won't let people get near him, just runs away. Tried to catch him, to no avail. The Humane Society couldn't catch him either. He is very skittish.

He is sleeping burrowed in the snow in backyards, trying to escape the cold. He has been seen for about 3 days now.

orchid
03-23-2008, 07:57 PM
i wonder if a live trap for coyotes would work... not sure where to get ahold of one but it might be worth checking into.

kitca
03-23-2008, 11:16 PM
i wonder if you left some food out for him, maybe he will start to trust you enough to be able to catch him. he must be hungry, and have to work so hard just to keep warm.

Intangible
03-24-2008, 09:11 AM
I don't live there, it's a friend who does. She has been leaving food out for him, but he is still very timid, still runs away. She is heartbroken, seeing him out there like that. The live trap thing is a good idea, but the HS only has up to raccoon size. I wonder where you could get bigger ones.

orchid
03-24-2008, 02:41 PM
does gary reid still do the trapping? he's with the trappers association. i know a relative of mine had called on him a while back for a racoon problem. not sure what the number is but i bet the HS would have it.

orchid
03-24-2008, 08:48 PM
you could try vernes hardware...i'm pretty sure i had seen the smaller live traps there, maybe they have large ones.

kitca
03-24-2008, 09:52 PM
im so glad to hear that your friend is feeding him. i know how she must feel. my mom had the most wonderful dog in the world for many years,. she was in the same situation as this dog you at your friends house. she hung out in the area and scaveneged whatever she could. someone fed her, and over time earned her trust. then it was the rescue group... once zoey realized that no one was going to hurt her, she was the sweetest nicest dog.

i hope your friend keeps trying with this poor dog. please let me know, i will help out however i can.

millie
03-24-2008, 11:06 PM
like wise