PDA

View Full Version : better butter recipe

kitca
03-29-2008, 12:35 PM
i went to a speaker this summer. lorna vanderhauge (sp?) talks alot about hormones. anyway, she gave us this recipe for better butter, saying how healthy and good it is for you. i finially tried it, and it is good. you keep it in the fridge and it is spreadable, alittle harder than marg, but still good. and it tastes normal. i dont know if this should be in health and wellness or recipes, so the mods can do what they will. i put it here because i just made it and i am impressed and thought i would share.

Better Butter

Take one pound of butter and blend in a food processor with one cup of organic unrefined seed oil blend. Mix until smooth. Put in a sealed container and refrigerate. This better butter will be ready to spread soft from the refrigerator, and is rich in essential fatty acids.

WHY BUTTER IS BETTER

One of the most healthy whole foods you can include in your diet is butter. "What?!" I can hear many of you saying, "Isn’t butter bad for you? I thought margarine and spreads were better because they’re low in saturated fat and cholesterol?" Be not deceived folks! Butter is truly better than margarine or other vegetable spreads. Despite unjustified warnings about saturated fat from well-meaning, but misinformed, nutritionists, the list of butter’s benefits is impressive indeed:

Vitamins: Butter is a rich source of easily absorbed vitamin A, needed for a wide range of functions in the body, from maintaining good vision, to keeping the endocrine system in top shape. Butter also contains all the other fat-soluble vitamins (E, K, and D).

Minerals: Butter is rich in trace minerals, especially selenium, a powerful antioxidant. Ounce for ounce, butter has more selenium per gram than either whole wheat or garlic. Butter also supplies iodine, needed by the thyroid gland (as well as vitamin A, also needed by the thyroid gland).

Fatty Acids: Butter has appreciable amounts of butyric acid, used by the colon as an energy source. This fatty acid is also a known anti-carcinogen. Lauric acid, a medium chain fatty acid, is a potent antimicrobial and antifungal substance. Butter also contains conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) which gives excellent protection against cancer. Range-fed cows produce especially high levels of CLA as opposed to "stall fed" cattle. It pays, then, to get your butter from a cow that has been fed properly. Butter also has small, but equal, amounts of omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, the so-called essential fatty acids.

Glycospingolipids: These are a special category of fatty acids that protect against gastrointestinal infections, especially in the very young and the elderly. Children, therefore, should not drink skim or lowfat milk. Those that do have higher rates of diarrhea than those that drink whole milk.

Cholesterol: Despite all of the misinformation you may have heard, cholesterol is needed to maintain intestinal health, but is also needed for brain and nervous system development in the young. Again, this emphasizes the need for cholesterol-rich foods for children. Human breast milk is extremely high in saturated fat and cholesterol.
Some of you might be watching your weight and be rather hesitant to add butter into your diet. Have no fear. About 15% of the fatty acids in butter are of the short and medium chain variety which are NOT stored as fat in the body, but are used by the vital organs for energy. (Fats you should watch, though, are all vegetable oils and olive oil.)

03-29-2008, 05:54 PM
thank you
i will be trying this and letting you know /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

heintzman
03-30-2008, 02:10 AM
where do you get unrefined seed oil, and what exactly is it?

binky
03-30-2008, 11:47 AM
right on kitca heres her page and she's always made sense to me.
http://healthyimmunity.com/
you may wanna read issue 22 in her newsletter too.

kitca
03-30-2008, 12:36 PM
corky, she calls for some specially made organic butter too. im taking one step at a time. i use regular butter and regular grapeseed oil. i figure thats alot better than the crap i was using, lol!

i think its hard to get stuff in the soo that she can get in the big city. gotta make do.

yochooch, ill read issue 22 now. thx. yes, i remember reading that. also some information saying how the issue becomes so clouded with morality and sexuality and not the issue of the vacine and pharm.. companies and testing and if it really works etc. very interesting. i was all for the vacine in theory, till i did some research. wow. now i do suppose this belongs in health and wellness, lol.

jaydee
03-30-2008, 07:23 PM
did i hear butter chicken???