PDA

View Full Version : Shaw Phone ...external machine

froggy_doddy
03-30-2008, 02:36 PM
I've had Shaw phone for over a month now. I use an external answering machine and have shaw voicemail turned OFF. (I have to use the external machine to have different mailboxes)

Anyway, my machine will often flash to indicate that I have a new message. When I listen to the message, it's a recorded message saying (something like): If you would like place a call, please hang up..."

I think it does that when people call me, and then hang up after the machine's picked up. This was never a problem before (I got Shaw). It's really annoying.

I'm wondering if anyone else is having the same thing when using an external answering machine?

Killswitch
03-30-2008, 08:43 PM
Yup.... same thing here. I was going to call Shaw and ask them about it but I haven't got around to it yet.

hp2
03-30-2008, 09:49 PM
funny I do not use a external answering machine and had this happen last week.. the second line beeped in and I got that message in myear.

froggy_doddy
03-31-2008, 09:07 AM
Figured it wasn't just me. I DID call shaw and it didn't sound like there's much they can do about it. They should warn people that their phone system doesn't work well with external machines BEFORE they sign up.

I'm hoping that everyone that has this problem calls and complains. I may end up just switching to another company (as much as I don't want to)

Koss
03-31-2008, 10:14 AM
I have the BASIC shaw home phone w/o internal voice mail and I use the external digital voice mail built into my phone without any problems. I have encountered the problem you described once about six weeks ago, but it has been my experience that Shaw phone works with my message recording system without a hitch. It may not be an answering machine problem.

Stingray
03-31-2008, 01:00 PM
I have shaw phone and use an external digital answering machine and it works fine. Shaw is still fairly new at this. Bell had the monopoly for how long? I say, let's give Shaw a chance to tweek out there little problems and give bell a run for their money.

froggy_doddy
04-01-2008, 09:28 PM
I agree with you Stingray. However, they've offered the home phone service for a few years now out west. So a lot of the bugs should be already worked out. In addition to this, when I spoke to the tech, it didn't seem like they were going to address or fix this issue. So that's why I'm not optimistic /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif