PDA

View Full Version : DO NOT GET SHAW PHONE

froggy_doddy
04-03-2008, 11:04 AM
Well, I've had Shaw phone for over a month now. I LOVE Shaw and HATE Bell. Having said that, there are too many problems with Shaw phone at this time. The whole phone system is down as I write this. Looks like it's down for the whole Sault area (according to tech support). Seems like it's one thing after the next.

I'm sure many of you will say that it's been working without a hitch for them. I'm happy for you. However, I've also had friends that aren't impressed with it.

My recommendation after using it for a while:

Stay away from Shaw phone (for now)

kuietgrl (got lost)
04-03-2008, 11:06 AM
Even with any problems, I would never go back to Bell /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wavey.gif

froggy_doddy
04-03-2008, 11:08 AM
I agree with you. Going back to bell would be NUTS!

I'll be looking into the other Voip providers.

GirlNextDoor
04-03-2008, 11:14 AM
wow what a crybaby, one little outtage and your ready to jump ship. Voip is absolute crap. Bell has had what, 80 years or so monopoly on phone communication. I can guarantee that the phone systems werent perfect when they came out. Other than todays outage, my phone service has been perfect. The customer service has been top notch and its much much cheaper than bell ever was. only way id go back to bell is if they promised me 72 virgins.

froggy_doddy
04-03-2008, 11:21 AM
Object X, Did you even read my post???

a) I said "there are too many problems with Shaw phone at this time" and "Seems like it's one thing after the next." ...That would indicate that i've had other issues on top of today's outage. I'm not the only one either (that has had issues).

b) I agree that things will be better with time, hence my comment:
Stay away from Shaw phone (FOR NOW) ...see how I wrote FOR NOW?

c) I called it: "I'm sure many of you will say that it's been working without a hitch for them." ...my point is that although you've had no problems, I and people I know have had a few annoying issues.

d) I agree that Shaw customer is great, hence: "I LOVE Shaw and HATE Bell."

By the way, this is the second time in a month that my phone has been completely down.

So, what exactly is your point?

ps. If you do get Shaw phone, you better make sure you have a cell phone as a back up. (I'm not just saying that due to today's outage)

GirlNextDoor
04-03-2008, 11:36 AM
So far all i have seen from you is trivial *****ing about the shaw phone service, and I have shaw phone service and ive been more than happy with it. My point is why are you trying hinder future service for another phone provider and loosen bell's grip on the phone communication market by threads like this, i can almost guarantee that this isnt the only place you have been *****ing about it. Today is the first problem we have had so far. im willing to stick it out through the bugs. Shaw phone has been here for a little while now and you expect pefection out of it.

froggy_doddy
04-03-2008, 11:45 AM
It's funny that you said that, cause as you were writing this, I was posting the same thing on SooToday /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I must admit, good call!

Shaw has had their phone system going out west for a while now. Many of the bugs should be worked out by now. Today is NOT the first problem that I have had - and yes, I do expect near perfection out of my phone service. I think you'll agree when you go to dial "911" and you get no dial tone, or better yet, a recording that states that there are no lines available.

I'll say it again, I love Shaw and really hoped that their phone service was going to be good. It's just not the case (at this time)

lynys
04-03-2008, 12:38 PM
How can a company possibly work out the bugs, if they have no customers?

So what if it is down for now? I will survive. Being away from Bell makes it all worthwhile to me.

Strife
04-03-2008, 12:43 PM
Even though their phone system has been out west, there is no way to tell what bugs may lay ahead. Shaw had to build an infrastructure to service this part of the country. That means the possibility of new equipment that could turn faulty and god knows what other types of scenario's. You think Windows XP was perfect right out of the gate? Oh but it was in beta testing for years and there were a ton of man hours spent on making it, so it must be perfect. Nothing is perfect the first go around and I am sure it will take Shaw a year to file out all the kinks.

froggy_doddy
04-03-2008, 01:14 PM
Ok, this is my last post in this thread because all I do is keep repeating myself.

My recommmendation after it it for a while:

Stay away from Shaw phone (for now)

Your recommendation after using it for a while:

Get Shaw phone, it's not all that reliable, but they'll work out the bugs eventually. Till then, good luck.

Cheers

Strife
04-03-2008, 01:21 PM
Actually I have never used Shaw phone. I have called people who have Shaw phone and havent noticed any difference. As for reliability, this has been the first time I have heard of Shaw phone going down city wide and it was only a few hours at that. Bell normally takes atleast a day to get things done.

H.E. Pennypacker
04-03-2008, 01:29 PM
well, i will have to say you're recommendation sucks. Just because you had problems doesn't mean EVERYONE DOES, therefore I don't understand why you're telling people to stay away?! It's workin' great for the majority of us, as the thread seems to prove.

Never going back to BELL!

froggy_doddy
04-03-2008, 01:34 PM
Dang, it's hard not to reply. Instead of repeating myself, I'll just copy and paste my replies from my previous posts. Here goes:

"a) I said "there are too many problems with Shaw phone at this time" and "Seems like it's one thing after the next." ...That would indicate that i've had other issues on top of today's outage. I'm not the only one either (that has had issues)."

" By the way, this is the second time in a month that my phone has been completely down. "

"I'm sure many of you will say that it's been working without a hitch for them. I'm happy for you. However, I've also had friends that aren't impressed with it. "

But I will add this:

Issues so far...

-310-shaw works half the time.
-instances where I am told that there are "no lines available" when trying to make a long distance call
-problems between shaw and my answering machine (which wasn't a problem before)
-Problems with 611
-Unable to make ANY outgoing calls (this has happened twice in a month now)
-phone connection cut during a conversation

Some issues are bad, some are just simple annoyances. But overall, it makes for a frustrating experience.

If you haven't had ANY problems, I'm happy for you. I wish I could say the same.

kuietgrl (got lost)
04-03-2008, 01:39 PM
My line echos and sounds like crap with every call. The folks on the other end can't hear it, though. Plus, it's given me grief when calling long distance...saying I didn't push 1 first and stuff. And it wouldn't let me call Bell about my last bill /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif 310-BELL was blocked, for some reason /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif haha

But I'm still happier than I ever was with Bell!

H.E. Pennypacker
04-03-2008, 01:41 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheGUY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dang, it's hard not to reply. Instead of repeating myself, I'll just copy and paste my replies from my previous posts. Here goes:

"a) I said "there are too many problems with Shaw phone at this time" and "Seems like it's one thing after the next." ...That would indicate that i've had other issues on top of today's outage. I'm not the only one either (that has had issues)."

" By the way, this is the second time in a month that my phone has been completely down. "

"I'm sure many of you will say that it's been working without a hitch for them. I'm happy for you. However, I've also had friends that aren't impressed with it. "

But I will add this:

Issues so far...

-310-shaw works half the time.
-instances where I am told that there are "no lines available" when trying to make a long distance call
-problems between shaw and my answering machine (which wasn't a problem before)
-Problems with 611
-Unable to make ANY outgoing calls (this has happened twice in a month now)
-phone connection cut during a conversation

Some issues are bad, some are just simple annoyances. But overall, it makes for a frustrating experience.

If you haven't had ANY problems, I'm happy for you. I wish I could say the same.

</div></div>

still doesn't answer why you're telling people to stay away?? you're part of the minority.

froggy_doddy
04-03-2008, 01:42 PM
kiuietgrl, I agree with you 100%.

froggy_doddy
04-03-2008, 01:45 PM
Am I part of the minority? Many of my friends have had similar complains as well.

Oh well, get Shaw phone and try it for a while. Either everything will be fine, or you'll have some of the issues I'm having. Whatever.

Oh and the reason I'm posting is because I'm frustrated and Shaw is unable to help. So I'm getting the word out about my experiences.

kuietgrl (got lost)
04-03-2008, 01:46 PM
Oh, and my phone beeps periodically like I'm pushing buttons /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif I know I'm not, because it happens on my corded (?) phone when I'm nowhere near the buttons /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

And it's not my phone...we've switched them out a couple times to check it.

Anywho, TheGUY, I agree with you and I see what you're trying to say. There are a few issues with Shaw phone right now. I'm still happy I switched and the few problems I'm having are nothing compared to what I went through with Bell.

If little issues like these would bug someone...don't switch to Shaw YET. I'm sure they'll fix the problems in time. But if you really don't like Bell, it's worth it 100%.

froggy_doddy
04-03-2008, 01:47 PM
Exactly!

H.E. Pennypacker
04-03-2008, 01:59 PM
ya but the majority aren't facing these "little problems"

and i've had shaw phone since feb 19 no problems thanks

kuietgrl (got lost)
04-03-2008, 02:17 PM
Who said you were guaranteed to have problems? I sure didn't. But it's a definite possibility.

Not everything is black and white. There are grey areas /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

froggy_doddy
04-03-2008, 02:19 PM
Good for you Art, wish I could say the same

rmkryan
04-03-2008, 02:35 PM
I haven't had any issues yet...

tired-n-cranky
04-03-2008, 02:35 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Art Vandelay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ya but the majority aren't facing these "little problems"

and i've had shaw phone since feb 19 no problems thanks
</div></div>

Ohhhh wow, 1.5 months. Such a long time! Come back after 1 year, or 5 years, and see if you have the same positive attitude.

People need to realize there are alternatives to Bell for plain landline service.

H.E. Pennypacker
04-03-2008, 02:44 PM
oh i was just waiting for you to comment, mr negativity.

filthy
04-03-2008, 03:19 PM
Sounds like some of you have been so jaded by Bell that I could give you a banana with a wire as a phone and you'd think it was better....lol

oneof3
04-03-2008, 03:27 PM
I'll take the banana and split...ya, I know

kuietgrl (got lost)
04-03-2008, 03:33 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Filthy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like some of you have been so jaded by Bell that I could give you a banana with a wire as a phone and you'd think it was better....lol </div></div>

Let's just say, I would have cancelled and not had ANY phone service...that's how mad at them I was. However, I was pregnant and hubby worked all day so I needed it in case I went into labor.

Koss
04-03-2008, 03:45 PM
And it wouldn't let me call Bell about my last bill /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif 310-BELL was blocked, for some reason /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif haha

310-bell is not blcked. That's a number that Bell has made availble on their network to contact them. As you are no longer on their network 310-bell does not exist as a valid number there. You can still call Bell using the (800) number. However, 310-SHAW does work on the Shaw network.

Barry Morris
04-03-2008, 03:53 PM
When Shaw has been in business as long as Bell, then they'll do better.

How could they help it???

kuietgrl (got lost)
04-03-2008, 03:56 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Koss</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> And it wouldn't let me call Bell about my last bill /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif 310-BELL was blocked, for some reason /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif haha

310-bell is not blcked. That's a number that Bell has made availble on their network to contact them. As you are no longer on their network 310-bell does not exist as a valid number there. You can still call Bell using the (800) number. However, 310-SHAW does work on the Shaw network. </div></div>

Actually, it did work after the 10th time I tried /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Koss
04-03-2008, 04:05 PM
Huh. I just tried 310-shaw from my bell line at work and it when through too. I stand corrected.

GirlNextDoor
04-03-2008, 05:01 PM
Mine is back up and running, they were even kind enough to call us(bell would have never done anyting like that) to make sure the line was good, and reset my voicemail password. I fail to see why one would slander shaw service for some minor bugs.

GirlNextDoor
04-03-2008, 05:02 PM
310 BELL works just fine from my shaw phone.

403_forbidden
04-03-2008, 05:27 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NeTDaWg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">People need to realize there are alternatives to Bell for plain landline service. </div></div>

EXACTLY; people in SSM seem to think that BELL and Shaw are the only Internet and voice providers in the world.

I didn't go with Shaw phone as I thought they were too new to the voice service game and there are bound to be problems (it seems from the posts there are). I actually switched to YAK for a phone service provider and so far they are good. I didn't have to sign any contract so I can jump ship anytime if I don't like their service. So yea I am also not with BELL or Shaw for phone service.

Strife
04-03-2008, 05:31 PM
Well considering we are on a BBS owned by Vianet, I am sure the majority know that there are many alternatives to Shaw and Bell.

tired-n-cranky
04-03-2008, 09:20 PM
I for one am going to be switching to Teksavvy for home phone. Works out to be about $12.00 /month cheaper than the same service from Bell, and it is not VoIP, but uses the normal copper line. (And no non-educated people had better jump on saying that Shaw isn't VoIP, because it is!!!).

No more calling India, I would rather deal with people in Chatham any day of the year.

Andre
04-03-2008, 09:39 PM
Called TekSavvy on monday and switched. Only saving about $5/month, but 5 bucks is 5 bucks.

403_forbidden
04-03-2008, 10:56 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NeTDaWg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">(And no non-educated people had better jump on saying that Shaw isn't VoIP, because it is!!!).</div></div>

I actually, had shaw call me one day promoting their phone service. I mentioned that is was basically VOIP and that I wanted to wait for a few years until it matured and they got the kinks worked out of their new infastructure in town. The sales person said that their phone system is not VOIP. I laughed and told him I wasn't interested.

V Code
04-04-2008, 12:22 AM
nut shaw phone is not VOIP. VOIP is the term for running a pone service over your internet connection ( which is unsecure). When you have a system like SHAW you have dedicated servers which keep your phone information away from the internet and secure from prying ears, unlike a VOIP connection where packets can be sniffed out.

tired-n-cranky
04-04-2008, 07:12 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: '67 L-79</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nut shaw phone is not VOIP. VOIP is the term for running a pone service over your internet connection ( which is unsecure). When you have a system like SHAW you have dedicated servers which keep your phone information away from the internet and secure from prying ears, unlike a VOIP connection where packets can be sniffed out. </div></div>

LOL!!! VoIP by definition has nothing to do with the internet. VoIP is Voice Over IP, which can be any network, public OR private. Shaw's voice network is private, yes, but it is STILL VOIP!

403_forbidden
04-04-2008, 07:42 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: '67 L-79</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nut shaw phone is not VOIP. VOIP is the term for running a pone service over your internet connection ( which is unsecure). When you have a system like SHAW you have dedicated servers which keep your phone information away from the internet and secure from prying ears, unlike a VOIP connection where packets can be sniffed out. </div></div>

Okay '67 L-79 not sure if you really called me a nut or if it is a typo, but if Shaw is not VOIP (which it is), than what is it?Please educate me /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

Shaw uses IP on a seperate network from it's Internet service to service it's phone customers. So the digital phone (Voice) is on a IP network; Voice + IP = VOIP (who's the nut now?).

jaydee
04-04-2008, 07:53 PM
so im guessing its not worth it to start up with shaw phone?

Shawn
04-04-2008, 08:21 PM
Well there are still alternatives if you guys give up on Bell and Shaw... Vianet offers Vtone local phone service for $12.50/month for customers with internet service and $17.50 for those without. In the last 2 and a half years of working here the longest outage I can remember was 1/2 an hour or so and in the 2 and a 1/2 years I only remember 2 or 3 outages. Vianet had the entire phone system running on redundant equipment and fiber optics.

Shawn
04-04-2008, 08:29 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NeTDaWg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: '67 L-79</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nut shaw phone is not VOIP. VOIP is the term for running a pone service over your internet connection ( which is unsecure). When you have a system like SHAW you have dedicated servers which keep your phone information away from the internet and secure from prying ears, unlike a VOIP connection where packets can be sniffed out. </div></div>

LOL!!! VoIP by definition has nothing to do with the internet. VoIP is Voice Over IP, which can be any network, public OR private. Shaw's voice network is private, yes, but it is STILL VOIP! </div></div>

Ya, if you look at the box even that the shaw phone comes in it has an EMAC, CMAC, MTA MAC and USB MAC. Now if their system was not VOIP then I could see just the USB mac being there.. but the other macs are for the other side to connect to... usually if you have mac's you have ip addresses thus making it a voip network.

Really the only difference between Shaw's network and any VOIP provider is that with Shaw you don't need internet... but when you do want internet you have to still tack on that extra price for net... on top of the $40... Vtone from Vianet is 12.50 + say 37.95 for cable internet = about $50... still a little cheaper than the $80 for cable and phone from Shaw and just as reliable or even more than Shaw or well even bell... since we have not had any multiple hour outages going back as far as I can remember...

DoubleXL
04-04-2008, 11:27 PM
Shaw has 24/7 phone support. If I have a problem they have always sent me someone the next day. All my charges go onto one bill. Once when Bell was giving me balls, I called Shaw, and since I still had my modem Shaw hooked me back up within minutes while on the phone, no questions asked. I have personally not had any issues with my digital phone, TV, or Internet that were not corrected promptly, and efficiently...Issues are not something I find occur often. Shaw also allows flexibility on payment. I can pay online through my bank, through their website, over the phone, using an ATM etc. In the past when cash was not as available as it is to me now, I have had my bill go as high a $400+ without Shaw batting an eye. Maybe I am an isolated case. I will have to say Thumbs up, for Shaw providing some competition.

I have had a few friends that had V-Tone. They never had any real complaints with it either.

Bell truly is the evil of them all. So, I wouldn't say "DO NOT GET SHAW PHONE", I would say "AVOID BELL AND CHOOSE ONE OF THE OTHERS".

jaydee
04-05-2008, 08:36 PM
is it really that worth it. we are in Bell's preferred customers by now im sure (we've been with them from the get go) and they give us cheaper rates i think so why switch when your already based with a good phone company? like shaw is ok for internet but bell is ok for phone

Strife
04-05-2008, 08:55 PM
It all depends on your needs. If you want all the features plus unlimited long distance to the US and Canada, then Shaw is the way to go.

jaydee
04-05-2008, 08:59 PM
Macs likes bell too so /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif

Strife
04-05-2008, 09:02 PM
Ofcourse Macs likes Bell.

dancingqueen
04-08-2008, 09:11 AM
Bell wouldn't be so bad if they at least kissed you good night or took you out for dinner every now and then...

hemi_69
04-08-2008, 09:27 AM
or at least didnt pull your hair so hard all the time wile they were doing it

Andre
04-08-2008, 09:55 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hemi_69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">or at least didnt pull your hair so hard all the time wile they were doing it </div></div>
I don't have much hair so they always grab me by the ears.
I hate that! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

dancingqueen
04-08-2008, 12:38 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hemi_69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">or at least didnt pull your hair so hard all the time wile they were doing it </div></div>

really?? see they don't pull hard enough.... /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif