PDA

View Full Version : I am at a lose

hp2
04-03-2008, 10:46 PM
Well every week my daughter has a homework bag that has to be completed.. sometimes the teacher will give them a week off.. but not very often and you never know when these week offs are going to come.

Well My daughter is in Grade 1.. (moulding yrs) and I picked her up monday from school like I do every day.. I go through her mail bag before I leave the parking lot cause if there is something I need to address Ill go in.. well SHE had no homework bag on monday.. I asked her oh weird no homework this week.. shes like nope the teacher said its a week off.. SO IM like hummm weird there was home work last week... Usually no homework when close to holidays... SO I then asked her tue and wed again.. again I got the same thing..

SO tonight.. thursday night homeworks do friday morning I said to her.. sure was nice of the teacher to give yous a week off. SHE broke down in tears.. she says Ill bring it home tommorrow.. I did not want to do it cause then I cant color. or play my computer or watch tv.. OR go for snowmachine ride with dad or hang out with dad.. I felt bad but was pissed cause she lied to me

SO tommorrow I have to explain this to the teacher.. AND I really think she should loose some things like recess at school next week for homework not completed ect..

I understand I should of asked the teacher.. BUT I have had a week from hell.. and this has never happened before.. I asked my daughter well Why did you do that.. I got the answer as above and last week the teacher sent home uncompleted work from daytime class routines home as my daughter was being busy body. and had to complete that above her homework package.

I just dont want to displine her badly but fairly she is only in grade one...

Im consider telling the teachers shes to stay in at her recesses complete it.. but thats not a big deal cause shes been in all week with her brother cause he hurt himself. OR tell her shes to go sit infront of the office and complete the homework next week. till its completed.. SHE needs to learn RIght from wrong..

what do yas think?

Strife
04-03-2008, 10:50 PM
I think instead of punishing her, talk to her face to face. Sit her on the couch or on her bed and go down to her level. This will look like to arent talking down to her, but rather to her so she doesnt get intimidated. Let her know that what she did was wrong and that she shouldnt have done it. Compromises can always be made (like homework can be done after daddy time).

Kittie
04-03-2008, 10:50 PM
She should only be doing 20-30 mins of "homework,"
IF that.
Do as much as YOU'D like her to do.. If you feel she has too much.. don't make her do it all. She shouldn't be having THAT much homework, where she can't bond with her dad.. or play with her dog..
Thats ridiculous.

hp2
04-03-2008, 10:53 PM
BUT the whole thing is the whole homework package takes her 15 mins on a one night deal.. we usually do it thursday nights... ITS not that its hrs and hrs or shes not smart enough.. she thought she was going to outsmart mom and got caught..

canadian she nows shes done wrong.. NOW but at first she laughed.. I think thats why I was so peeved..

Macs II
04-03-2008, 10:55 PM
My kids hardly ever get any homework ...go figure

Kittie
04-03-2008, 10:56 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ~~~~~</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BUT the whole thing is the whole homework package takes her 15 mins on a one night deal.. we usually do it thursday nights... ITS not that its hrs and hrs or shes not smart enough.. she thought she was going to outsmart mom and got caught..

canadian she nows shes done wrong.. NOW but at first she laughed.. I think thats why I was so peeved..</div></div>

Hmm.. maybe its something else.. maybe it was something with the teacher or something the teacher said.. or maybe she was just being lazy??! didn't want to do it obviously..
I don't even remember having homework in gr 1.. let alone.. grade 4.. LOL!

let her know, that when she's older.. in highschool, she can't pull these stunts!! that homework has to be done asap...

i'm sure she understands whats right, from wrong and is just testing mom. : )

hp2
04-03-2008, 10:57 PM
the whole thing is in all honesty I think in grade one its wrong.. but its been routine for her since day one.. and her homework is always completed... sooooo I Think im just more pissed that shes lied and thought she could get away with it then actually just telling me she did not want to do it.. and yes in grade one she gets marks on completion of homework

IMHO
04-03-2008, 11:32 PM
Teachers are expected to do so much more these days. They do not seem to haveenough time to teach everything.Perhaps if the ministry of ed. relaxed some of its requirements, teachers could TEACH thus ending the need for excess homework.

The Chronic Liar
04-03-2008, 11:33 PM
I wouldnt make her stay in at recess or anything. Deal with the honesty issue at home. No need to bring the teacher into this

hp2
04-03-2008, 11:40 PM
HOW do I not bring the teacher into it.. shes going to expect this homework tommorrow morning thats still sitting in her desk at school as I type..

SusyQ
04-03-2008, 11:42 PM
Maybe she felt a little ignored while her brother was getting all the attention when he was recouping from his accident. Not saying you did but maybe in her little 6 year old mind she got away with doing a few extra things and liked it and didn't want too commit too her schoolwork because she was having too much fun. Just a thought.

snobank
04-03-2008, 11:42 PM
I don't want to blow my cover, but, I am a retired teacher and principal. In my years of experience 99% of homework was a complete waste of time, especially for younger children. If you didn't "get" something at school, repeating that mistake at home for any length of time just compounded the problem.

Children need school. The also need time to play, to interact with their peers and their parents. Some of you have jobs where you put in your day at work and then have to open your briefcase or computer and continue to work at home, often for no extra pay. You probably resented the time lost from other things. Imagine being a small child who has to spend all day at work (school) and then spend much of the rest of his/her time after school just doing more of it.

There may be some special occasions where some extra work or assignments are required but night after night of always having to work after putting in a full day at school can be very depressing for some children.

Homework is not magic. There is little evidence, if any, to show that homework improves the normal child's academic progress. But, if a child is keenly interested in a subject or topic, any topic, working with supportive encouraging parents can be an enriching experience for the child and the adult. I can't say, however, that I ever saw this happen with a three page list of mathematics problems.

jaydee
04-03-2008, 11:43 PM
YEAH LANDERS IS ON!

Babzz
04-03-2008, 11:44 PM
She is just going to have to face the concequences with the teacher. Maybe a lesson for her.

hp2
04-03-2008, 11:46 PM
LOL thank you for being honest.. its much appreciated.. it does not help the fact me and this teacher butt heads.. but ah thats life.

I just hate the fact that I have to go explain this to her in the moring..as yes this teacher likes to single out kids and IM not the only one that has seen it..

as for her lieing Ill deal with that hear..

snobank
04-03-2008, 11:47 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: moooochi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">YEAH LANDERS IS ON! </div></div>

Moooochi, that's the second time you've said something like this after I've posted something. I really don't get it. Am I complimented or insulted? Please explain?

dancingqueen
04-03-2008, 11:48 PM
I agree with RB, I would also like to add: It sounds like you are more angry at her for lying to you than concerned about the problems lying can create for her in the future. Remember that this is about her honesty, not about you being lied to. You said in your first post that she broke down in tears over this, Obviously she already feels very badly about this.
JMO

jaydee
04-03-2008, 11:50 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Penndragon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: moooochi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">YEAH LANDERS IS ON! </div></div>

Moooochi, that's the second time you've said something like this after I've posted something. I really don't get it. Am I complimented or insulted? Please explain? </div></div>

did you join sit and chillax yet?

hp2
04-03-2008, 11:50 PM
YES she feels badly but if she gets away with it.. she will just lie again IM sure of it.. she knows its not tolerated.. MY daughter is 6 going on 15 if that makes sense... SHE is very very smart...

Kittie
04-03-2008, 11:52 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: moooochi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">YEAH LANDERS IS ON!</div></div>

[censored]. quit saying dumb [censored].
ITS SO ANNOYING.

SusyQ
LOL ~~~~~ yes nip it in the butt now because if you don't she'll try again and again and again. I speak from experience trust me on this one.

SusyQ
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kittie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: moooochi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">YEAH LANDERS IS ON!</div></div>

ITS SO ANNOYING. </div></div> /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif she kills me sometimes.

Kittie
04-03-2008, 11:53 PM
/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif

whys that?

I'm serious. he put's his 2 cents into EVERY thread. its so annoying to read his dumb posts.

dancingqueen
04-03-2008, 11:54 PM
I'm not saying let her got off Scott free, I'm just saying many people tend to take what kids do personaly and will allow their emotions to judge their punishment. just remember why you are punishing her is all.
I also agree with Penndragon on this. I remember when homework was simply work that I did not complete, it was never a daily thing... what does daily homework teach you? that you better be prepared to bring your work home with you because thats what everyone does?

SusyQ
04-03-2008, 11:55 PM
You should see grade 3 its unbelieveable the amount of homework she comes home with.

dancingqueen
04-03-2008, 11:55 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kittie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif

whys that?

I'm serious. he put's his 2 cents into EVERY thread. its so annoying to read his dumb posts. </div></div>

isn't that what a bbs is for? to put your 2 cents in? /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Kittie
04-03-2008, 11:56 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dancingqueen</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kittie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif
whys that?
I'm serious. he put's his 2 cents into EVERY thread. its so annoying to read his dumb posts. </div></div>
isn't that what a bbs is for? to put your 2 cents in? /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif</div></div>

Yes it is.
But, it's nothing RELEVANT to the thread. "YAY LANDERS ON"
or, something about religion in a dog thread. That makes sence.

SusyQ
04-03-2008, 11:57 PM
/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif sorry carry on.

jaydee
04-03-2008, 11:57 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Penndragon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: moooochi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">YEAH LANDERS IS ON! </div></div>

Moooochi, that's the second time you've said something like this after I've posted something. I really don't get it. Am I complimented or insulted? Please explain? </div></div>

ooohhhhhhh but you are Landers, or Flanders or whatever

Babzz
04-04-2008, 12:00 AM
my son is in the 6th grade and never has any. His teacher does not believe in it for the most part.

dancingqueen
04-04-2008, 12:01 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: moooochi</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Penndragon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: moooochi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">YEAH LANDERS IS ON! </div></div>

ooohhhhhhh but you are Landers, or Flanders or whatever </div></div>
you know that's a bannable offence.

jaydee
04-04-2008, 12:02 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dancingqueen</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: moooochi</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Penndragon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: moooochi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">YEAH LANDERS IS ON! </div></div>

ooohhhhhhh but you are Landers, or Flanders or whatever </div></div>
you know that's a bannable offence. </div></div>

what is?? mistaken identity? /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif

jaydee
04-04-2008, 12:03 AM
and just so you know.. its "loss" not "lose" /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif

Kittie
04-04-2008, 12:04 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: moooochi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and just so you know.. its "loss" not "lose" /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif</div></div>
You're one to be correcting spelling!!!!

hp2
04-04-2008, 12:05 AM
LOL thanks MOOOCHI..... I dont care about that.

jaydee
04-04-2008, 12:05 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kittie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: moooochi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and just so you know.. its "loss" not "lose" /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif</div></div>
You're one to be correcting spelling!!!! </div></div>

/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

Macs II
04-04-2008, 12:06 AM
moooocchi cant spell hahhahah

hp2
04-04-2008, 12:06 AM
lol neither can I but I dont give a crap

Kittie
04-04-2008, 12:08 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: moooochi</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kittie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: moooochi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and just so you know.. its "loss" not "lose" /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif</div></div>
You're one to be correcting spelling!!!! </div></div>

/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif</div></div>

Yeah.. You're pretty scary!
Aaaahhh!
/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

Huggy85
04-04-2008, 12:08 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kittie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dancingqueen</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kittie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif
whys that?
isn't that what a bbs is for? to put your 2 cents in? /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif</div></div>

Yes it is.
or, something about religion in a dog thread. That makes sence. </div></div>

Forgive me for this off topic post, but I'm quite surprised mooochi hasn't made any of his "that's hot" posts in here yet. I'm with you Kittie....if you can't add anything intelligent to a serious thread, stay the heck out of it. Just my 2 cents.....

Kittie
04-04-2008, 12:13 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Huggy85</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kittie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dancingqueen</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kittie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif
whys that?

Yes it is.

Forgive me for this off topic post, but I'm quite surprised mooochi hasn't made any of his "that's hot" posts in here yet. I'm with you Kittie....if you can't add anything intelligent to a serious thread, stay the heck out of it. Just my 2 cents.....</div></div>

Yes, thank you!

snobank
04-04-2008, 12:16 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: moooochi</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Penndragon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: moooochi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">YEAH LANDERS IS ON! </div></div>

did you join sit and chillax yet? </div></div>

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. For reasons I don't understand you've replied to my question with an oblique comment that makes no sense to me. It's doesn't strike me as germaine to this thread and since our correspondence seems to be hijacking the thread in an unfair way I suggest we stop.

jaydee
04-04-2008, 12:19 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Huggy85</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kittie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dancingqueen</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kittie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif
whys that?

Yes it is.

Forgive me for this off topic post, but I'm quite surprised mooochi hasn't made any of his "that's hot" posts in here yet. I'm with you Kittie....if you can't add anything intelligent to a serious thread, stay the heck out of it. Just my 2 cents..... </div></div>

i do for the most part.... come on now

Kittie
04-04-2008, 12:20 AM
P<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: moooochi</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Huggy85</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kittie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dancingqueen</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kittie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif
whys that?

Yes it is.

Forgive me for this off topic post, but I'm quite surprised mooochi hasn't made any of his "that's hot" posts in here yet. I'm with you Kittie....if you can't add anything intelligent to a serious thread, stay the heck out of it. Just my 2 cents..... </div></div>

i do for the most part.... come on now</div></div>

No... you don't.

PS. Sorry Squiggles for hijacking.

jaydee
04-04-2008, 12:20 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Penndragon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: moooochi</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Penndragon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: moooochi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">YEAH LANDERS IS ON! </div></div>

did you join sit and chillax yet? </div></div>

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. For reasons I don't understand you've replied to my question with an oblique comment that makes no sense to me. It's doesn't strike me as germaine to this thread and since our correspondence seems to be hijacking the thread in an unfair way I suggest we stop. </div></div>

ok sorry dude must of just been imagining things

Kittie
04-04-2008, 12:21 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: moooochi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ok sorry dude must of just been imagining things</div></div>

Quit the drugs.

Huggy85
04-04-2008, 12:22 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: moooochi</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Huggy85</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kittie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dancingqueen</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kittie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif
whys that?

Yes it is.

i do for the most part.... come on now </div></div>

There's lots of silly threads for one to goof off in; do it there. This one was a very serious matter for someone. I think everyone would just like you to respect the serious threads

jaydee
04-04-2008, 12:22 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kittie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: moooochi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ok sorry dude must of just been imagining things</div></div>

Quit the drugs. </div></div>

oohhhh but i am a pill popper (check my profile)

Koss
04-04-2008, 12:57 AM
After reading this thread I think all of you should have done more English homework. Wow.

oneof3
04-04-2008, 01:02 AM
You actually read this?

**Owens Mommy**
04-04-2008, 06:50 AM
I wouldn't feel too bad about your daughter trying to get out of doing her homework....it's completely normal. Just make sure make it hit home how unacceptable lying is. My son is in grade one and we're going through something similar. We do homework first thing, before he can do anything else. Then it's out of the way and he has the whole rest of the night to play.he doesn't get alot of homework, but he has a dictation list that we practice everyday.

adigirl
04-04-2008, 07:25 AM
Lying is a normal developmental behavior in all of us. As is trying to get out of homework. DQ is spot on when he says not toitake the lying personally. It has nothing to so with you personally. I would make a rule in the house about telling the truth and pair it with a privilege. Everytime the rule is broken the privilege is taken away for a few hours up to 24 hours. Whatever you choose. I would pair the rule with something logical that makes sense to take away in that situation.

For example,

Rule:
Speaking with honesty.

Privilege:
Playing with friends that evening/day

If she breaks the rule and lies, you take away the privilege. Do this EVERYTIME she does it. It is the consistency that will pay off. Lying is a very difficult behavior to tackle and it takes time and consistency to deal with it.

Be sure you do not harp on it daily (not that I think you do!!!). It should be dealt with in the moment (neutral tone, neutral body language - just be matter-of-factish), consequence should be implented right away and everyone moves on with their lives.

Punishment is not the answer. Consequences are.

I would also talk to the teacher and see if anything has changed at school. Perhaps she is feeling stress. The teachers are trying to cram a lot of work in during the last term (thanks to the dumbarse ministry). You have to explore where the behavior is coming from and target those things that are driving that behavior. SusyQ may be right and perhaps she is feeling a little neglected at home because of the attention her brother is getting. Another thing that needs a solution.

Good luck!!

Xzavia
04-04-2008, 07:34 AM
Too bad the old princepal wasn't there anymore. Nothing against the one we've got now, he's just different from her is all. She was great for dealing with situations like these, during the day she's personally work with the children one on one (when they were sitting outside the office). She'd give them tasks to complete and in the process get to the bottom of whatever was bothering the child. (Kids just seem to open up to her and in no time at alll she was getting to the bottom of the situation).

I'd definately go to the school and talk to them though, find out if anything has changed that's bothering her. Has anything changed at home? Other than her brother's boo-boo?

Or maybe the princepal will surprise you, I've never had to consult with him over something of this sort so I don't know what he'd do. Other times I've ask his advice on situations he was quite fair and helped us get through it.

Most times I've been there when kids are outside the boss's office doing work they seem to see it as more of a social hour than "crunch" time. They manage to strike up some kind of conversation with anyone and everyone walking by...l'il buggers! LOL...

metal_gods
04-04-2008, 08:36 AM
Ground her for a year. That will teach her to lie to you.

metal_gods
04-04-2008, 08:38 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kittie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: moooochi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">YEAH LANDERS IS ON!</div></div>

ITS SO ANNOYING. </div></div>

just as dumb as him msging me on facebook telling me how awesome I am. Which is all true.

Kittie
04-04-2008, 08:57 AM
LOL

Chaotic Chick
04-04-2008, 09:16 AM
Okay, with so much off topic stuff it was difficult to read this thread but I think that I got the gist of it. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Squiggles' (it is easier to type and to read than ~~~~~~ lol) daughter has lied about not having any homework to do. Am I close? /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I went through this with two of my kiddies before. My son is the most recent one who was lying about homework. I went through his backpack after he told me he had no homework for 3 days in a row. Voila! There was three days' worth of homework! I was furious. We tell the kids how important homework is all the time. We also have a rule about lying (as should every parent of course lol). So we discussed it and he had to finish all of his homework that weekend and it was to be reviewed by us. We also spoke to his teacher and told her this was what we were doing. Now, the kids have to show us their agenda from school the minute they come home. They do their homework as soon as they walk in the house. As for the lying, there is a rule board posted in our house and lying is a big no-no. If one of our children lies, they do not watch tv, play with the computers or their video games for the entire day/evening.

Lying in young children is usually to get out of trouble but in the long run, we usually find out. Especially when it comes to school related things. My children know that it is better to tell the truth and face what will happen than to lie. There should be consequences and they should fit the behaviour if at all possible. In my house, we do not punish, we direct the children, and encourage them to do what is right. Since we started posting rules, such as no lying, things have been easier. No one can say, "I didn't know!" when it is posted in black marker on a big piece of poster board. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif

Super Gram
04-04-2008, 10:05 AM
If you want some advise from an old mother.......My son tried lying once. I handled the problem. Then I sent him to the teacher by himself to explain why his homework is not done.

I always told my kids you lie to me you get punished. You tell the truth and no punishment.........just maybe a talking to.

It's funny because my sons ...son lied to him and boy was he mad lol

A*lil*Loopy
04-04-2008, 11:44 AM
I agree with CC, too much off topic.

My son used to hide his homework sometimes and I went easy on him....don't make my mistake. He ended up (not everyone does) as a bit of a procrastinator by Grade 8. Otherwise a terrific kid but no desire to do homework and a sly way of avoiding. Things have changed now, but it took a long time for him to get his work ethic rolling.

Talk to the teacher, do your explaining with your daughter, don't let her away with it. She does need to understand the consequences of lying and how it would have been so much easier and no need to cry if she had just done it in the first place. Doing 15 minutes of homework rather than feeling badly, lying to Mom and getting into trouble, etc is a good thing. She needs to know that those little lies add up and you get caught.

I am glad she fessed up, but nip it in the bud now and with any luck, she'll get a good understanding of it for later.

I like your method Super Gram, the truth is always the best way for the kids to deal with things. Lying leads to so much more trouble in the end.