PDA

View Full Version : Babies Are a "Punishment"

GenX
04-05-2008, 04:21 PM
Barack Obama, explaining why he supports abortion:

“Look, I got two daughters — 9 years old and 6 years old. I am going to teach them first about values and morals, but if they make a mistake, I don’t want them punished with a baby. I don’t want them punished with an STD at age 16, so it doesn’t make sense to not give them information.”

http://bryanscrafford.files.wordpress.com/2007/02/obama.jpg

Need more proof the contemporary Democratic Party has lost its moral foundations?

§ienna
04-05-2008, 08:58 PM
People hear what they WANT to hear. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

snobank
04-05-2008, 09:09 PM
Are you serious in your implication from Obama's statement that you think he considers all babies punishment? If so you have no sense of nuance and are probably not worth debating in a straight forward adult manner.

Or, are you deliberately pulling a likely false generalization from a specific statement in order to score a "debating point" without any regard to greater truth, a facile but common debating trick, and therefore probably not worth debating in a straight forward adult manner?

Just wondering.

Barry Morris
04-05-2008, 10:13 PM
Stop wondering.

Both, alternately.

Wrangler35
04-06-2008, 11:24 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barry Morris</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stop wondering.

Both, alternately. </div></div>

I will second that Observation..and fact!

GenX
04-06-2008, 09:10 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sienna</div><div class="ubbcode-body">People hear what they WANT to hear. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif </div></div>

"I don't want them punished with a baby"

Seems pretty clear.

§ienna
04-07-2008, 07:58 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R W G R</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sienna</div><div class="ubbcode-body">People hear what they WANT to hear. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif </div></div>

"I don't want them punished with a baby"

Seems pretty clear.

</div></div>

It was a VERY bad choice of words, BUT, I still think it's all about perception. I see where you're going with this though.

Barry Morris
04-07-2008, 08:54 AM
He goes anywhere that puts down his opponent, right or wrong.

kuietgrl (got lost)
04-07-2008, 09:56 AM
If a 13 year old gets pregnant because of a mistake, I certainly don't think anyone would call it a "blessing" /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

I don't know if "punishment" is the right word, but I definitely don't see it as something good.

What would YOU call a baby to a 13 year old? Good words escape my mind on that one...

Don't kill me...I hardly venture over here...and I'm staying away /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif

GenX
04-07-2008, 02:10 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barry Morris</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He goes anywhere that puts down his opponent, right or wrong. </div></div>

http://z.about.com/d/pregnancy/1/0/m/X/3/cryingbaby.jpg

GenX
04-07-2008, 02:12 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: *kuietgrl*</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If a 13 year old gets pregnant because of a mistake, I certainly don't think anyone would call it a "blessing" /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

I don't know if "punishment" is the right word, but I definitely don't see it as something good.

What would YOU call a baby to a 13 year old? Good words escape my mind on that one...

Don't kill me...I hardly venture over here...and I'm staying away /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif </div></div>

A baby is a blessing. The circumstances under which it may come into this world may be less than desirable.

But if you consider new life anything less than an unfathomable blessing then I'd question your value system in this instance.

kuietgrl (got lost)
04-07-2008, 04:57 PM
No need to question my value system, thanks /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Personally, I don't think a baby is always a blessing. A miracle, yes. Amazing, yes. But not always a blessing.

GenX
04-07-2008, 05:13 PM
Aren't miraculous and amazing things blessings?

kuietgrl (got lost)
04-07-2008, 05:15 PM
Not always, IMO.

GenX
04-07-2008, 05:16 PM
Can we at least agree Obama's choice of words were very unfortunate?

kuietgrl (got lost)
04-07-2008, 05:17 PM
Agreed. Choice of words wasn't exactly the smartest /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

GenX
04-07-2008, 05:20 PM
And when you're in the public eye 24/7, you better watch every word that comes out of your mouth.

A major vocabulary slip could cost someone their career; such is the age we live in.

kuietgrl (got lost)
04-07-2008, 05:26 PM
Too bad that doesn't apply to Bush /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif

GenX
04-07-2008, 05:28 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: *kuietgrl*</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Too bad that doesn't apply to Bush /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif </div></div>

He has trouble with the language at times, but his morals are in the right place.

The Democrats, on the other hand...

dancingqueen
04-08-2008, 01:19 AM
so, if one person makes a verbal boo-boo it's okay, but if another does it is unforgivable?

Barry Morris
04-08-2008, 08:58 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dancingqueen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so, if one person makes a verbal boo-boo it's okay, but if another does it is unforgivable? </div></div>

When one is prejudiced, yes.

aussie_angel24
04-08-2008, 12:45 PM
I agree his choice of words are not so great but he has great morals and he would make a fare better president than Bush has ever been. I am sure he is very sorry of his choice of words we all make mistakes on our choice of words does that mean we should be punished for it??? I am very sure that he did not mean punishment the way it came out to sound. Yes children are a sweet blessing but for a teen as young as that it can be a very hard thing to deal with especially when the mother is still going through growing herself...never a punishment but sometimes for people not the right time.

Barry Morris
04-08-2008, 12:51 PM
Punishment is a poor word. Consequences may have been what he meant.

dancingqueen
04-08-2008, 01:22 PM
I guess what we're trying to say here is that you shouldn't judge a person (espesialy one under constant spotlight like a candadate for the president of the United States of America) from a mere slip of the tounge, I am sure you would agree RWGR?

GenX
04-08-2008, 06:07 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dancingqueen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess what we're trying to say here is that you shouldn't judge a person (espesialy one under constant spotlight like a candadate for the president of the United States of America) from a mere slip of the tounge, I am sure you would agree RWGR? </div></div>

Then explain your country's obsession with Bush's malapropisms.

GenX
04-08-2008, 06:17 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dancingqueen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so, if one person makes a verbal boo-boo it's okay, but if another does it is unforgivable? </div></div>

If one creates a strawman out of nothing, that is the mistake.

§ienna
04-08-2008, 06:28 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R W G R</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dancingqueen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so, if one person makes a verbal boo-boo it's okay, but if another does it is unforgivable? </div></div>

If one creates a strawman out of nothing, that is the mistake. </div></div>
Interesting analogy.

starterwiz
04-08-2008, 06:38 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R W G R</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dancingqueen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess what we're trying to say here is that you shouldn't judge a person (espesialy one under constant spotlight like a candadate for the president of the United States of America) from a mere slip of the tounge, I am sure you would agree RWGR? </div></div>

Then explain your country's obsession with Bush's malapropisms. </div></div>

As soon as you explain your personal obsession with Canada.
"Remove the plank from your own eye" comes to mind.

dancingqueen
04-08-2008, 10:15 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R W G R</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dancingqueen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess what we're trying to say here is that you shouldn't judge a person (espesialy one under constant spotlight like a candadate for the president of the United States of America) from a mere slip of the tounge, I am sure you would agree RWGR? </div></div>

Then explain your country's obsession with Bush's malapropisms. </div></div>

I cannot speak for my Country. I personaly don't think Mr. Bush is as bad as my brethen seem to think.
Room for improovment, sure, but show me one of God's creatures that is perfect...

dancingqueen
04-08-2008, 10:16 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R W G R</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dancingqueen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so, if one person makes a verbal boo-boo it's okay, but if another does it is unforgivable? </div></div>

If one creates a strawman out of nothing, that is the mistake. </div></div>
I didn't create a straw man, you are the one making a joke out of a man for doing the same thing as another man does whom you seem to respect greatly...

GenX
04-10-2008, 05:16 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> but show me one of God's creatures that is perfect...</div></div>

Where do you want me to send the picture?

Hans
04-10-2008, 05:19 PM
Send it to me first, I always enjoy a good laugh before supper.

GenX
04-10-2008, 05:31 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hans</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Send it to me first, I always enjoy a good laugh before supper. </div></div>

That's the same thing Adi said when she was explained to me why she has you sit at the dinner table naked.

Hans
04-10-2008, 06:01 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R W G R</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hans</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Send it to me first, I always enjoy a good laugh before supper. </div></div>

That's the same thing Adi said when she was explained to me why she has you sit at the dinner table naked. </div></div>

She was explained to you eh?