PDA

View Full Version : Not Good News for our Resident Chicken Littles

GenX
04-05-2008, 04:43 PM
"Lloyd's of London warned yesterday that an absence last year of natural disasters or man-made accidents was putting pressure on firms to reduce premiums in 2008."

LINK (http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2008/apr/04/insurance.insurance)

http://www.wikinomics.com/blog/uploads/disney-chicken-little-sky-falling.jpg

Barry Morris
04-05-2008, 07:02 PM
"But he said the market had cut its exposure to such areas after problems with Enron, WorldCom and numerous technology companies."

Oh THAT'S why claims are lower!!!

GenX
04-05-2008, 08:29 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barry Morris</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"But he said the market had cut its exposure to such areas after problems with Enron, WorldCom and numerous technology companies."

Oh THAT'S why claims are lower!!!
</div></div>

/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif

A scientist you are not!

Barry Morris
04-05-2008, 10:14 PM
So that's why the States is so screwed up.

They think you have to be a scientist to understand economics.

GenX
04-06-2008, 09:08 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So that's why the States is so screwed up. </div></div>

And they also use "are" when the sentence is of a plural nature.

Huggy85
04-06-2008, 09:56 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R W G R</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So that's why the States is so screwed up. </div></div>

And they also use "are" when the sentence is of a plural nature. </div></div>

The United States is one country, singular is correct. Woe is the American education system.

GenX
04-06-2008, 09:58 PM
"States" is plural, unless used in the following fashion: United States of America, which denotes a proper noun.

An American educates a Canadian, part 1,553,023

Huggy85
04-06-2008, 10:02 PM
So in answer to your question Françoise, the United States can be singular or can be plural, depending on what you want to say about them. However, normally if you’re talking about the country, use the singular verb.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/radio/specials/1535_questionanswer/page51.shtml

You couldn't educate anyone anything if your life depended on it, Speedy

http://www.better-english.com/grammar/sinplu.htm

Take the above quiz, it might help you with you grammar.

GenX
04-06-2008, 10:04 PM
There's a reason you guys have been the epitome of mediocre for so long!!

It's not that you're dumb...it's just that you're not very smart.

Two cheers to Canadian mediocrity! May you forever wallow in your insignificant status! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/high5.gif

Barry Morris
04-07-2008, 08:57 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Huggy85</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R W G R</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So that's why the States is so screwed up. </div></div>

And they also use "are" when the sentence is of a plural nature. </div></div>

The United States is one country, singular is correct. Woe is the American education system. </div></div>

Singular is indeed correct. You can't tell Speedy anything.

GenX
04-07-2008, 02:08 PM
Yes, "United States" is singular. However, he only used the word "States", which is hardly singular.

Today's educational cost...FREE! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Barry Morris
04-07-2008, 03:30 PM
Indeed it is, because anyone except you would recognize it as a short form of the singular entity, the United States of America.

Today's educational cost...??? Ask your teachers for a refund!!!

GenX
04-07-2008, 03:43 PM
Oh, now we have to be mind readers to understand Canadians' abuse of the language.

Interesting.

Barry Morris
04-07-2008, 04:04 PM
Ah, dear Speedy, have you forgotten that I am an Englishman?? And as I told some South Carolina friends of mine, "I'm an Englishman. The language is English. If I say that's the way it is, THAT'S THE WAY IT IS!!" /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

GenX
04-07-2008, 04:06 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I say that's the way it is, THAT'S THE WAY IT IS!!" </div></div>

<span style='font-size: 16pt'>Sola Scriptura defined beautifully!!!</span>

Wonderful job, Barry!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/high5.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/high5.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/purpbanana.gif

The Berean
04-07-2008, 06:47 PM
I thought this was the political forum??

I love catholic defintions of evangelical truths their so wacked.

KDawg
04-07-2008, 07:29 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barry Morris</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So that's why the States is so screwed up.

They think you have to be a scientist to understand economics. </div></div>

Barry capitalized the word "States," therefore it's a pronoun in reference to one country - singular.

That is all.

starterwiz
04-07-2008, 09:14 PM
I was wondering why Speedy's jokes don't get moved to the joke forum...'til I realized....They Aren't Funny!

GenX
04-08-2008, 06:04 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KDawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barry Morris</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So that's why the States is so screwed up.

They think you have to be a scientist to understand economics. </div></div>

Barry capitalized the word "States," therefore it's a pronoun in reference to one country - singular.

That is all. </div></div>

Really?

"States" couldn't mean Montana, Nevada, and Utah?

Wallow in your mediocrity, drunken country! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif

GenX
04-08-2008, 06:20 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ConKat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought this was the political forum??

I love catholic defintions of evangelical truths their so wacked. </div></div>

At times you have little "truth"...you make it up as you go.

That is why, just as I typed this, another Protestant church has started up.

starterwiz
04-08-2008, 06:23 PM
"States" could also mean "place where an idiot lives" which would be singular. It really depends on the context.

dancingqueen
04-08-2008, 10:18 PM
*cough*cough*hijacked*cough*cough*

starterwiz
04-09-2008, 12:25 AM
How can Speedy hijack his own thread, you ask?
If we are talking about "States" of confusion, disarray, recession, or egotism, then it would be plural.

Barry Morris
04-09-2008, 08:22 AM
And in that context, would not be capitalized. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

starterwiz
04-09-2008, 08:50 AM
The Cap makes them feel more impo'tant LOL.

GenX
04-10-2008, 05:22 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barry Morris</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And in that context, would not be capitalized. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>

Isn't it nice to see Slugger end every post with a smiley face or two? /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Never underestimate the power of being heavily medicated!

Barry Morris
04-10-2008, 05:25 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R W G R</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barry Morris</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And in that context, would not be capitalized. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>

Isn't it nice to see Slugger end every post with a smiley face or two? /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Never underestimate the power of being heavily medicated! </div></div>

Thank you.

GenX
04-10-2008, 05:32 PM
No, thank modern pharmaceuticals!

/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif