PDA

View Full Version : End of Vista next year or so

Hans
04-06-2008, 02:10 PM
Corp.(MSFT.O: Quote, Profile, Research) co-founder Bill Gates said on Friday he expected the new version of Windows operating software, code-named Windows 7, to be released "sometime in the next year or so."

The software giant has been aiming to issue more regular updates of the operating system software that powers the majority of the world's personal computers. Nevertheless, Gates' comments suggested that a successor to the Vista program might be released sooner than was generally expected.

http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSN0430179020080404

I guess those Vista sales figures are not what was expected eh?

filthy
04-06-2008, 03:38 PM
Vista has been out for sometime now....so your saying nobody uses XP? Vista is awesome with DirectX 10 gaming, XP can't even compete.

XP though is still a very functional OS, and many still use it because the techtarded have finally earned how to use it and are scared of Vista, just as they were scared of XP when they knew 98.

A new windows will mean Vista wil be in full swing and the most used OS, and most not wanting to upgrade to Windows 7, and MS will stop supporting and patching XP.

I think your title should say the end of XP...

Strife
04-06-2008, 04:21 PM
wow....those comments are harsh. I know a few not so tech savvy people who prefer XP to Vista, not because they are scared of Vista, but because XP doesnt require a top end computer and does what they need it to do. They dont need the fancy bells and whistles and XP is much more stable at this point than Vista.

mboy67
04-06-2008, 06:33 PM
XP patches will be supported to 2014

Koss
04-07-2008, 12:55 AM
I don't need more DRM. XP will be the last Windows OS I will ever use. I'm already dual booting XP/Ubuntu on my desktop and hopefully WINE will progress to the point where I can use a Linux laptop for work.

XP is a good OS. DirectX 10 is the only saving feature of Vista, and it could be installed on XP if M$ would allow it.

"They dont need the fancy bells and whistles" You can have all the Bells and Whistles of Vista in XP if you know where to look for them. And I've yet to see a webcam not work on XP out of the box.

V Code
04-07-2008, 02:46 AM
vista does not require a top end computer anymore!!! if anyone is running a computer that can not handle vista, they need a new computer!

the tell tale sign is that they install vista on $600 laptops. they are the worst and slowest machines compared to a desktop. yet vista runs great.

XP needs to die and soon

filthy
04-07-2008, 03:22 AM
Oh I wasn't saying XP sucks, I dual boot Xp and Vista,

I love Vista, but I still think XP is a very solid OS.

I'm saying the logic makes no sense when he says Vista's done.

I compare what's being saying to something like that since the PS3 is out, the PS2 is dead, but PSone is still good.

When in fact the new is good for some, but so are the oldies to others where it suis their needs.

Strife
04-07-2008, 03:44 AM
Sorry if I misread your post. It seemed like you were saying that only the "techtarded" people use XP because they are afraid of Vista. I am far from techtarded and I use XP because I prefer it. That and I dont have the money to upgrade to what Vista wants.

Hans
04-07-2008, 07:56 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Filthy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh I wasn't saying XP sucks, I dual boot Xp and Vista,

I love Vista, but I still think XP is a very solid OS.

I'm saying the logic makes no sense when he says Vista's done.

I compare what's being saying to something like that since the PS3 is out, the PS2 is dead, but PSone is still good.

When in fact the new is good for some, but so are the oldies to others where it suis their needs. </div></div>

My title makes perfect sense. All OEM's will be pushing this new version and not Vista, just like they do now with Vista.
It will in effect be the end of Vista, in favor of the new OS.
This does not bode well for the Vista life cycle, as companies will be very reluctant to switch from XP to Vista, due to the cycle of Vista. They will just wait on the new version...

Like somebody else above said : XP can not die fast enough.
They will say the same for Vista in less then 2 years.

Hans
04-07-2008, 07:58 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: '67 L-79</div><div class="ubbcode-body">vista does not require a top end computer anymore!!! if anyone is running a computer that can not handle vista, they need a new computer!

the tell tale sign is that they install vista on $600 laptops. they are the worst and slowest machines compared to a desktop. yet vista runs great.

XP needs to die and soon </div></div>

I got a 2000$ laptop with Vista on it, and it runs slow. Your logic makes no sense.

GirlNextDoor
04-07-2008, 09:20 AM
you must have gotten a super [censored] laptop.have vista ulimate on a celeron 1.4ghz,2gb of pc4200,radeon 200m xpress video and an 80gb drive, and it runs like a top. and to boot i got a buggy ide channel on it and it runs 100x faster than xp ever did on this.

V Code
04-07-2008, 10:22 AM
i agreee, you got a really [censored] laptop!. i had a $600 Acer and it ran great!!!

maybe you should shop around more before you drop $2k on a pile!

Strife
04-07-2008, 11:33 AM
yes.....but if you put XP on the same $600 laptop I would bet that it would run even better than it did with Vista. I had a Dell Inspiron 710M a while back and I installed the beta versions of Vista and even a cracked retail version and it ran good. Take the same laptop and put XP on it and it ran even better.

V Code
04-07-2008, 04:00 PM
it might, however it might not. I have noticed on my desktop which i ran vista exclusively until a dead video card and driver for the new ones not like me.

i thought i would install XP but i still had a driver issue. turns out its the card itself and its AGP not windows. but i have noticed the un-raring takes twice as long with XP than it did with vista. so XP is not all that fanciful and fast.

now that i know how to resolve the driver issue im just too lazy to go back to vista as i have everything setup and no time to really redo everything.

Chaotic Chick
04-07-2008, 05:19 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Canadian13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yes.....but if you put XP on the same $600 laptop I would bet that it would run even better than it did with Vista. I had a Dell Inspiron 710M a while back and I installed the beta versions of Vista and even a cracked retail version and it ran good. Take the same laptop and put XP on it and it ran even better. </div></div>

We ran xp on our laptop and it ran like total crap actually. vista has been almost 99% rock stable with very few compatibility issues.

im too lazy to log out of the wifes account.

Hans
04-07-2008, 07:48 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: '67 L-79</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i agreee, you got a really [censored] laptop!. i had a $600 Acer and it ran great!!!

maybe you should shop around more before you drop $2k on a pile! </div></div>

https://www.frontierpc.com/productDetails.aspx?productId=20184378F

This was 2000$ at the time Vista was brand new, and it came with Vista installed on it. (I had no choice)
And yes, it runs like crap because of Vista.

And yes, my current machine (See my sig for specs) runs slow compared to XP. (Not like crap, just overall slow) And it's not because I think it does. I tested several functions to ensure it was a true reflection of performance and not my imagination.

I am also wondering who is going to drop money on Vista, now that it's known it will be replaced by yet another version in less then 2 years.

filthy
04-07-2008, 11:32 PM
DirectX gaming is top notch, so any gamer should have Vista. If your not into gaming and just do email, browsing and media, XP is just fine.

Who knows about Windows 7 at this point, could be worse than XP and Vista. MS is do for another ME very soon....lol.

Strife
04-08-2008, 09:22 AM
lol.....Vista = ME

Andre
04-08-2008, 09:46 AM
Recent headlines from a Geek site I visit:

Windows 7 may come "in the next year." So was Vista another Windows ME? Or are Vista owners just paying beta fools?

Due to the recent release of Vista SP1 there is only 1 patch for this upcoming `Patch Tuesday'. Just kidding, there are 16 of them.

/not exactly a resounding endorsement

filthy
04-08-2008, 11:51 AM
Vista cannot be ME as it runs solid and provides a superior experience to XP.

It must be that many of you do not have Vista or the hardware to fully realize what Vista can actually do. If anyone here has played Crysis in Dx10 on very high, you would know what I'm talking about.

Either way I paid $120 for Vista and it's the first time I've ever actually paid for an OS so I already feel like I've got my money's worth.

Hans
04-08-2008, 11:52 AM
Now look up how many people have problems installing 1 of the 3 required patches required to install XP. A lot of people, including myself, are unable to install the bitlocker update, which is preventing me from installing SP1.