PDA

View Full Version : ISP QUESTION

wiegand
04-09-2008, 05:04 AM
tell me, is rogers dsl available here yet?

tired-n-cranky
04-09-2008, 07:09 AM
Uhm.. WHY would you even attempt that? Rogers DSL is horrible.

There are tons of other DSL providers that ARE available. Vianet, Teksavvy (cheapest and best in Canada), and many others.

General Lee
04-09-2008, 09:14 AM
why not go cable shaw is awsome way better then the ones listed above

hemi_69
04-09-2008, 11:12 AM
Vianet basically is shaw, they use the same backbone, same modems and everything...you basically have shaw internet through Vianet

Cruel_Intentions
04-09-2008, 12:05 PM
I'm going to be going through Teksavvy myself for several reasons.

#1: Don't want to mess with cable connection for confidential reasons.

#2: Well Teksavvy is throttled by Bell, they are part of a team that appealed to CRTC to have Bell's throttling efforts stopped since it is not Bell's traffic to throttle.

#3: All their support is based in Canada and all of my emails have been anserwed VERY quickly (sometimes less than 20min)

#4: A smaller ISP will often go farther to support it's customers and make them happy since they cannot afford to loose them.

#5: 200GB a month cap, show me where else in town you can get that for $29.95/month?

#6: Very competitive prices

#7: Offer Dry-Loop DSL

tired-n-cranky
04-09-2008, 12:23 PM
Cruel_Intentions has it right. Yeah by all means go Shaw, pay tons of money a month for a high speed connection you can't even use because the cap is low. And Shaw hasn't spoken a word on their policies on throttling, because they plan to do it as well.

5/6Mbps DSL is perfectly fine for $29.95 a month (even cheaper if you get a group of people, have seen DSL groups paying $26.95/month).

Cruel_Intentions
04-09-2008, 01:07 PM
hey NetDaWg, care to share a little more information on "DSL Groups"?

wiegand
04-09-2008, 04:07 PM
thanks for NOT answering my question

wiegand
04-09-2008, 04:08 PM
IS ROGERS INTERNET HERE YET OR WHAT

Chrylon
04-09-2008, 04:29 PM
wow... too lazy to type in http://www.rogers.com > click residential services > ontario > Internet services > high speed internet > and type in your postal code? The site itself tells you it's not available.

H.E. Pennypacker
04-09-2008, 04:39 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: /usr/bin/drinking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IS ROGERS INTERNET HERE YET OR WHAT </div></div>

NO IT ISN'T. PS ROGERS SUCKS.

Hans
04-09-2008, 05:27 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NeTDaWg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cruel_Intentions has it right. Yeah by all means go Shaw, pay tons of money a month for a high speed connection you can't even use because the cap is low. And Shaw hasn't spoken a word on their policies on throttling, because they plan to do it as well.

5/6Mbps DSL is perfectly fine for $29.95 a month (even cheaper if you get a group of people, have seen DSL groups paying $26.95/month). </div></div>

What does a residential customer do that requires a cap of 200 Gig/month of traffic, every month? (And not 200G/mo bandwidth like the Teksavvy information page states)

tired-n-cranky
04-09-2008, 09:10 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: /usr/bin/drinking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IS ROGERS INTERNET HERE YET OR WHAT </div></div>

Get off your lazy a$$ and look for yourself.

Andre
04-09-2008, 11:37 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hans</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
What does a residential customer do that requires a cap of 200 Gig/month of traffic, every month? </div></div>

You can start and snoop around here:
http://www.forumshare.net/showthread.php?t=77671

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hans</div><div class="ubbcode-body">(And not 200G/mo bandwidth like the Teksavvy information page states)</div></div>
?????

I don't use the full 200GB, but I sure as hell go over the 30/60 GB Sympatico or Shaw would allow me.

wiegand
04-10-2008, 03:03 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Syko</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wow... too lazy to type in http://www.rogers.com &gt; click residential services &gt; ontario &gt; Internet services &gt; high speed internet &gt; and type in your postal code? The site itself tells you it's not available. </div></div> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NeTDaWg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: /usr/bin/drinking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IS ROGERS INTERNET HERE YET OR WHAT </div></div>

Get off your lazy a$$ and look for yourself.</div></div>
Hört her Völker und Völkchen
Schlagt auf euch ein
Hasst euren Nachbarn
Ihr wollt doch unabhänig sein

Tötet euren Bruder
Vergewaltigt eure Frauen
Ihr sprecht die gleiche Sprache
Doch ihr könnt euch nicht vertrauen

Schöne neue Welt
Unsere Feinde sind wir selbst
So sterben Träume

Keine Roten mehr im Osten
Der Feind hat kein Gesicht
Die Bedrohung sind wir selbst
Also hass' ich einfach DICH

Ich habe den Glauben an uns verloren
Vielleicht hab' ich nie geglaubt
Habt ihr Scheiße in den Ohren
Ich sag' euch, hört endlich auf, härt endlich auf

Schöne neue Welt
Unsere Feinde sind wir selbst
So sterben Träume

Bohse Onkelz Video (http://www.youtube.com/v/br73dWOGoqo&hl=en)

H.E. Pennypacker
04-10-2008, 08:59 AM
/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smokin.gif http://youtube.com/watch?v=M8pR1rZZHEs

Hans
04-10-2008, 12:30 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Andre</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hans</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
What does a residential customer do that requires a cap of 200 Gig/month of traffic, every month? </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hans</div><div class="ubbcode-body">(And not 200G/mo bandwidth like the Teksavvy information page states)</div></div>
?????

I don't use the full 200GB, but I sure as hell go over the 30/60 GB Sympatico or Shaw would allow me. </div></div>

But as per User agreement, you are not supposed to use your service for that.
So, anything else you need your 200 gig/month for?

wiegand
04-10-2008, 01:43 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Art Vandelay</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smokin.gif http://youtube.com/watch?v=M8pR1rZZHEs</div></div> Blasen Mir!

tired-n-cranky
04-10-2008, 03:12 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hans</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Andre</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hans</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

?????

I don't use the full 200GB, but I sure as hell go over the 30/60 GB Sympatico or Shaw would allow me. </div></div>

So, anything else you need your 200 gig/month for? </div></div>

So Mr. I-have-a-pickle-up-my-[censored] internet cop, what do you use your internet for?

H.E. Pennypacker
04-10-2008, 04:37 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NeTDaWg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hans</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Andre</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hans</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

?????

So, anything else you need your 200 gig/month for? </div></div>

So Mr. I-have-a-pickle-up-my-[censored] internet cop, what do you use your internet for? </div></div>

to be honest, netdawg, you're the one that always sounds like the " I-have-a-pickle-up-my-[censored] internet cop". Every post you seem to write you are pretty arrogant towards everyone, god forbid they share the same view as you!

Hans
04-10-2008, 04:40 PM
I use my 60 gig month mainly for playing Eve. Used to be Everquest, before that Wow, before that ENB, before that FF XI, before that diablo II and all the way back Diablo I.
And e-mail, web browsing, usenet, all that standard stuff.
Oh, and now and then I download a linux distro.

But, you know just as well as me that when you download large quantities of not so legal things, you are exposing yourself to the famous letters the Copyright holders send to your ISP. Especially if you use download links from Rapidshare and other http based download locations for tv shows and movies.

And, you also know what any ISP does when they receive such a letter.

wiegand
04-10-2008, 06:05 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
to be honest, netdawg, you're the one that always sounds like the " I-have-a-pickle-up-my-[censored] internet cop". Every post you seem to write you are pretty arrogant towards everyone, god forbid they share the same view as you! </div></div>

its about time someone else said something... nobody listens to me!

Listen, big and small peoples
Beat up each other
Hate your neighbor
You want to be independent, don't you?

Kill your brother
Abuse your women
You're speaking the same language
But you can't trust each other

Beautiful new world
We ourselves are our enemies
That's how dreams die

No more reds in the east
The enemy has no face
We ourselves are the menace
So I simply hate YOU

I lost the faith in us
Maybe I never believed
Do you have [censored] in your ears?
I tell you, finally, stop it! Stop it!

Beautiful new world
We ourselves are our enemies
That's how dreams die

tired-n-cranky
04-10-2008, 07:34 PM
Actually Art, you couldn't be farther from the truth. Everyone I know IRL has zero problems with me.

I just have a serious issue when people try to argue with me on one thing I know so much about, and that is the world of computer networking.

Hans
04-10-2008, 07:58 PM
Argue in what way?

wiegand
04-10-2008, 10:03 PM
come on people

H.E. Pennypacker
04-10-2008, 10:23 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NeTDaWg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually Art, you couldn't be farther from the truth. Everyone I know IRL has zero problems with me.

I just have a serious issue when people try to argue with me on one thing I know so much about, and that is the world of computer networking. </div></div>

Your arrogance is pretty noticeable on all your posts, maybe you don't notice it but others do.

millie
04-11-2008, 11:02 AM
I guess that could be said for almost everyone now couldn't it.

Cruel_Intentions
04-11-2008, 03:11 PM
Anyways....

I could find TONS of stuff that is completly, 100% Legal for me to download that would put me WELL over 60GB/month with Bell. Hell, maybe I want to stream a high-definition security camera from my home to where-ever so I can keep an eye on my stuff while I'm away.

Who are you to tell me what I can/can't do with my connection? that's between me and my ISP.

Hans
04-11-2008, 04:40 PM
I never said you could not do it. I said you could not legally do it. And that is why the caps are what they are : they take into account the traffic that is considered legal.

That being said, ANY ISP will always take action against you if they receive a letter of complaint from a reputable source.

tired-n-cranky
04-11-2008, 05:47 PM
However Hans, you seem to be not realizing that nobody in Canada can justify what is "legal" or not when it comes to internet traffic.

Nobody in Canada has to this date been prosecuted for downloading a movie, music, etc. And it can't happen, yet. Hence why there is no John/Jane Doe lawsuits in Canada.

The caps are not there because of legality, the caps are there because some ISPs use expensive transit upstreams.

Cruel_Intentions
04-11-2008, 08:42 PM
No they will not, I have gotten a letter form my previous ISP stating that they were contacted by MGM Grand, but they did not take action against me what-so-ever.

And you think I can't download 60GB Legally? That can be done QUITE easily

axalon2003
04-11-2008, 10:25 PM
60GB really isn't the high amount of down traffic that it used to be. MMORPG's are using more and more bandwidth, as are streaming content on webpages, never mind streaming TV shows and movies that are now becoming more and more popular. And what about legit downloads? iTunes is completely legal, as are a host of other similar music services that people use for legally downloading music.
Sure there is a lot of questionable downloading going on, but there is also a lot of legitimate use that is taking more and more bandwidth up as well.
There is also an increase in uploading across the internet due to MMORPGs, photo sharing websites, etc. It is unrealistic to expect that internet traffic will not grow as our computers grow and our appetite for applications and social networking grows.
I don't think it is going to be long before the ISPs start to feel a serious backlash from their traffic shaping. If they had spent time investing in their infrastructure over the past few years, thus deferring the costs over a longer period of time and increasing their overall capacity incrementally, instead of squeezing the consumers of their services out of every cent they could to pad their bottom line they wouldn't have found themselves in a position of having to need to limit peoples internet activities.

Hans
04-12-2008, 02:35 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NeTDaWg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">However Hans, you seem to be not realizing that nobody in Canada can justify what is "legal" or not when it comes to internet traffic.

Nobody in Canada has to this date been prosecuted for downloading a movie, music, etc. And it can't happen, yet. Hence why there is no John/Jane Doe lawsuits in Canada.

The caps are not there because of legality, the caps are there because some ISPs use expensive transit upstreams. </div></div>

And in that, you are wrong. As soon as an ISP is getting a letter notifying them of illegal activities on an account, they will take action. Why? Because they want to cover their behind.

Now I am not stating they will cut you off after 1 letter. But if they get a couple of those, rest assured they will nix your account rather then exposing themselves to possible litigation in the future.

Check out Bill C-60, it clearly defines what an ISP is required to do by law when they receive a copyright infringement letter.

Hans
04-12-2008, 02:40 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Axalon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">60GB really isn't the high amount of down traffic that it used to be. MMORPG's are using more and more bandwidth, as are streaming content on webpages, never mind streaming TV shows and movies that are now becoming more and more popular. And what about legit downloads? iTunes is completely legal, as are a host of other similar music services that people use for legally downloading music.
Sure there is a lot of questionable downloading going on, but there is also a lot of legitimate use that is taking more and more bandwidth up as well.
There is also an increase in uploading across the internet due to MMORPGs, photo sharing websites, etc. It is unrealistic to expect that internet traffic will not grow as our computers grow and our appetite for applications and social networking grows.
I don't think it is going to be long before the ISPs start to feel a serious backlash from their traffic shaping. If they had spent time investing in their infrastructure over the past few years, thus deferring the costs over a longer period of time and increasing their overall capacity incrementally, instead of squeezing the consumers of their services out of every cent they could to pad their bottom line they wouldn't have found themselves in a position of having to need to limit peoples internet activities. </div></div>

MMO's use very little bandwidth. I can play for 6 hours straight on 60 MB up+down.

As for putting the blame on the ISP's, that's not really where the problem lies. The problem is that every ISP has to pay a certain amount of money for bandwidth they use to whoever is their upstream provider. The problem is that your 29.99$ month is not enough to cover your 200 gig, the ISP's infrastructure and people, and still walk away with a profit.
If people keep asking for huge amounts of allowed traffic for 29.99/month, what you are going to get is a pay as you use service. Mark my words.

Hans
04-12-2008, 02:42 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cruel_Intentions</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No they will not, I have gotten a letter form my previous ISP stating that they were contacted by MGM Grand, but they did not take action against me what-so-ever.

And you think I can't download 60GB Legally? That can be done QUITE easily </div></div>

I can download 200 gig legally in a single day. The question is : what am I going to do with all that downloaded stuff?

Cruel_Intentions
04-14-2008, 01:53 PM
what you do with your bandwidth is your choice.

Hans, I'm not going to argue about if an ISP can/is offering 200GB/Month for $29.99. Tell me they can't, tell me they won't, I don't care. Because fact is, when I read my confirmation e-mail, it says:

"You have 200 GB of data transfer (bandwidth) included with your Premium account. This includes both upload and download."

Which to me proves that I'm right. Will I ever use 200GB/Month, almost gurarenteed no. But am I going to go with Bell/Shaw that only offer 60GB at a higher price just because I won't use 200GB? sure as hell NO.

I don't want cable due to problems with speeds dropping in apartment buildings and it is more expensive with lower caps. I don't want Bell because it is more expensive with lower caps and I do not approve of their throttling efforts.

Is Teksavvy throttled? Through Bell, yes they are. But atleast my ISP has the balls to go to the CRTC about it. What has yours done?

Nihilistic Heathen
04-14-2008, 02:46 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hans</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NeTDaWg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">However Hans, you seem to be not realizing that nobody in Canada can justify what is "legal" or not when it comes to internet traffic.

The caps are not there because of legality, the caps are there because some ISPs use expensive transit upstreams. </div></div>

And in that, you are wrong. As soon as an ISP is getting a letter notifying them of illegal activities on an account, they will take action. Why? Because they want to cover their behind.

Now I am not stating they will cut you off after 1 letter. But if they get a couple of those, rest assured they will nix your account rather then exposing themselves to possible litigation in the future.

Check out Bill C-60, it clearly defines what an ISP is required to do by law when they receive a copyright infringement letter. </div></div>

Umm, Bill C-60 is currently a dead issue and has been since 2005.

Hans
04-14-2008, 08:08 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cruel_Intentions</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what you do with your bandwidth is your choice.

Hans, I'm not going to argue about if an ISP can/is offering 200GB/Month for $29.99. Tell me they can't, tell me they won't, I don't care. Because fact is, when I read my confirmation e-mail, it says:

"You have 200 GB of data transfer (bandwidth) included with your Premium account. This includes both upload and download."

Which to me proves that I'm right. Will I ever use 200GB/Month, almost gurarenteed no. But am I going to go with Bell/Shaw that only offer 60GB at a higher price just because I won't use 200GB? sure as hell NO.

I don't want cable due to problems with speeds dropping in apartment buildings and it is more expensive with lower caps. I don't want Bell because it is more expensive with lower caps and I do not approve of their throttling efforts.

Is Teksavvy throttled? Through Bell, yes they are. But atleast my ISP has the balls to go to the CRTC about it. What has yours done?
</div></div>

Mine does not need to do anything about the Bell throttling, as they do not use the Bell uplinks to provide my service. In that respect they have better control over their internet infrastructure then any DSL provider in this country currently has. Time will tell if that's good or bad, but for now it looks good to me.

Hans
04-14-2008, 08:08 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nihilistic Heathen</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hans</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NeTDaWg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">However Hans, you seem to be not realizing that nobody in Canada can justify what is "legal" or not when it comes to internet traffic.

Check out Bill C-60, it clearly defines what an ISP is required to do by law when they receive a copyright infringement letter. </div></div>

Umm, Bill C-60 is currently a dead issue and has been since 2005. </div></div>

But it's been followed by ISP's for when it will be a not so dead issue in the future.

403_forbidden
04-15-2008, 10:09 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hans</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NeTDaWg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cruel_Intentions has it right. Yeah by all means go Shaw, pay tons of money a month for a high speed connection you can't even use because the cap is low. And Shaw hasn't spoken a word on their policies on throttling, because they plan to do it as well.

5/6Mbps DSL is perfectly fine for $29.95 a month (even cheaper if you get a group of people, have seen DSL groups paying $26.95/month). </div></div>

What does a residential customer do that requires a cap of 200 Gig/month of traffic, every month? (And not 200G/mo bandwidth like the Teksavvy information page states) </div></div>

It's nice to have a larger cap that way you are not worrying about going over. Besides, TV on demand over the Internet is getting more common now and when it becomes mainistream even 200GB cap might be tight. Residental lines are used for more things than just playing games. Heck I have transferred 20GB or more per month of data alone back and forth from home to work.

Cruel_Intentions
04-15-2008, 01:54 PM
I could have swore I heard something about Shaw throttling P2P/Torrents as well... is this not true?

Strife
04-15-2008, 03:06 PM
Well if I can reach 1.7 Mbps on a torrent download than they either havent dont it yet or it isnt working too well.

Hans
04-15-2008, 08:10 PM
I believe Shaw turns on throttling by using packet inspection if your account is flagged as heavy use. I could be wrong on that, but I am almost sure I read something along those lines somewhere on the net.