PDA

View Full Version : Wedding Advice

iluvchristian
04-10-2008, 09:22 PM
I'm looking to plan a wedding on a budget, and I've been doing research online and have gotten lots of helpful hints. But I'd like some more local advice. Anyone able to help me out?
Thanks in advance!

tippikitty
04-10-2008, 09:28 PM
Don't do it!

Barry Morris
04-10-2008, 09:40 PM
Very helpful.

Anyway, remember what's important. Do it outside. Don't bother with a limo. DO get a good photographer!!! Don't worry about problems, they are what you'll laugh at in 10 years!

This nutty, but totally memorable!

http://images.google.ca/images?hl=en&q=%2B%22toilet+paper%22+%2B%22wedding+dress%22&um=1&ie=UTF-8

Hidden Treasure
04-10-2008, 09:40 PM
Sorry,I have to agree with TippiKitty

Barry Morris
04-10-2008, 09:42 PM
P.S. 36 years here!!!

iluvchristian
04-10-2008, 09:44 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: *~TippiKitty~*</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't do it! </div></div>

LOL, don't do it on a budget, or just don't do it? I'm sure I can guess! Aren't you married?

Can anyone recommend a good hall, at a reasonable price?

iluvchristian
04-10-2008, 09:57 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barry Morris</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very helpful.

Anyway, remember what's important. Do it outside. Don't bother with a limo. DO get a good photographer!!! Don't worry about problems, they are what you'll laugh at in 10 years!

http://images.google.ca/images?hl=en&q=%2B%22toilet+paper%22+%2B%22wedding+dress%22&um=1&ie=UTF-8

</div></div>
Thank you, that is sound advice! I'd love to have it outdoors. I don't go to church though. Would a priest conduct an outdoor ceremony if I don't go to his church?

(And a TP dress, though cost-efficient, isn't very practical! :D)

MaO3
04-10-2008, 10:00 PM
Call professor Zed. She' does non-traditional weddings.

tippikitty
04-10-2008, 10:01 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IluvUChristiaN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: *~TippiKitty~*</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't do it! </div></div>

LOL, don't do it on a budget, or just don't do it? I'm sure I can guess! Aren't you married?

Can anyone recommend a good hall, at a reasonable price?

</div></div>

Yes I was just kidding but of course as usual, some people can't take a joke and are very anal about things. I'm glad you didn't get offended.

Yes I am married. My advice would be not to sweat the small stuff because no one will remember what kind of pen you used for the guest book. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

everywoman
04-10-2008, 10:03 PM
Awesome advice Tippi. You are so right.

tippikitty
04-10-2008, 10:04 PM
My advice about the hall would be the Verdi. I did the package deal and you get everything you need all for one price. You get the hall, the decorations, music, cake, meal, and open bar. They decorate the hall and get everything ready for you. If I was to do it again, which I wouldn't but hypothetically I would definitely go with the Verdi again.

Hope this helps some as I know how stressful it can be.

metal_gods
04-10-2008, 10:06 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: *~TippiKitty~*</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't do it! </div></div>

finally some good advice from you

metal_gods
04-10-2008, 10:08 PM
4.5 years unmarried with my lady and loving it

tippikitty
04-10-2008, 10:09 PM
Yeah even she knows not to go down that road with the likes of you. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif

MaO3
04-10-2008, 10:10 PM
Getting married is a wonderful thing. There are many ways to keep your costs down. Having an outdoor wedding is nice if you can. Have only family at your dinner, invite everyone else later, have a cash bar.
Do your own flowers, and gifty things (I can't remember what there called right this second)

Keep it simple.

metal_gods
04-10-2008, 10:15 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: *~TippiKitty~*</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah even she knows not to go down that road with the likes of you. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif </div></div>
don't you encourage her lady

Barry Morris
04-10-2008, 10:27 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IluvUChristiaN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barry Morris</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very helpful.

</div></div>
Thank you, that is sound advice! I'd love to have it outdoors. I don't go to church though. Would a priest conduct an outdoor ceremony if I don't go to his church?

(And a TP dress, though cost-efficient, isn't very practical! :D) </div></div>

Rev. Sam Norbo, City Bible Church, nice guy, very experienced.

ProfessorZed
04-10-2008, 11:43 PM
Norbo is, indeed, an incredibly nice and thoroughly professional fellow. I also can't say enough nice things about Jim Moffatt (from experience) or John Maccarone (I don't know the man, but I've never heard anything but the best about him). And, of course, I'm inclined to think I'm pretty nifty, too. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I'm not completely booked up yet (depending on the date you're planning for, IluvUChristiaN), so if you're hoping for a non-religious or "category: other" ceremony, I'd be happy to chat about it.

My best advice is to have the wedding you want, not what anybody else says you should have. Decide what's most important to you -- maybe it's the dress, maybe it's the food, maybe it's something specific about the ceremony -- and anchor your plans on that. It's easy to get lost in the little details, but try to keep perspective and remember that while it's a Big Important Day, the wedding is not the marriage, and your commitment to each other is the most important part of the whole thing. I've known lots of couples who have gotten themselves hung up on the conventional trappings without any thought about what's meaningful to them as a couple; by focusing on your shared values and wants, you'll save yourselves a lot of stress.

AngelOnHigh
04-11-2008, 12:17 AM
Having the ceremony in the hall that you are having your reception in not only saves money... but saves time and frustration. I hate church weddings that you have to figure out something to do for a few hours before going to the hall! lol.

Make sure it is what you really want. Hubby and I flew to Reno and got married. Sounded fun and exciting at the time... but i was so lonely and missing my friends and family... it was heartbreaking at the same time as wonderful. He promised me we would do it again... with friends and family next time... and I can't wait!

Evangeline
04-11-2008, 12:52 AM
BUT if you have your ceremony and reception at the same place, and you are having a photographer, you will either have to leave your guests at the reception location with nothing to do while you leave to do photo's or ask them to leave and then come back in a few hours anyways. The photographer I am going with needs a minimum of two hours between ceremony and reception to do his work, your other option is to do photos before the ceremony, then you see each other before it, and he sees you in the dress before you walk down the aisle, I guess that works if you don't care about that but it makes your morning all the more hectic.

The wait between ceremony and reception may be frustrating for guests, but it's a necessary thing if you want professional photos after you are married, one of the most important things on your wedding day IMO! Gotta commemorate all that you've spend in photo form!

Macs II
04-11-2008, 12:53 AM
Weddings are the biggest waste of money

washawee
04-11-2008, 12:58 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Macs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Weddings are the biggest waste of money </div></div>

Like your education.

Macs II
04-11-2008, 01:02 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: polaris</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Macs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Weddings are the biggest waste of money </div></div>

Like your education. </div></div>

Just go to bed kid...don't try to be funny

washawee
04-11-2008, 01:06 AM
You're a crotchity old F.art aren't you.

AngelOnHigh
04-11-2008, 01:17 AM
You can still have your photos done... we left for about 1.5 hours... our guests stayed... they had music and the bar and each other to keep them company.

mothwoman
04-11-2008, 01:19 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IluvUChristiaN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking to plan a wedding on a budget, and I've been doing research online and have gotten lots of helpful hints. But I'd like some more local advice. Anyone able to help me out?
Thanks in advance! </div></div>

I have heard many excuses as to why people don't attend weddings but the most awkward one was that somoene thought it would be a "cheap' wedding because a friend of a friend of the bride blabbed about making it a "budget" wedding.

IluvUChristiaN, I'm not saying that your planning a cheap wedding, i'm sure it will be very beautiful and special and just right. My advice is to keep most of your plans zipped and to only include the people that are actually helping you because I feel that alot of people in this town have alot of preconceived notions about what the word "budget " really means.

Evangeline
04-11-2008, 01:37 AM
If someone didn't come to my wedding because they thought it would be a "cheap" wedding I would be more than happy to NOT have them there, the day is about celebrating a marriage with family and friends if you are going because you want a big fancy thing to go to, stay home.

tippikitty
04-11-2008, 01:40 AM
I agree Evangeline. Who would want people there like that anyways.

mothwoman
04-11-2008, 01:41 AM
mfe!

Evangeline
04-11-2008, 01:45 AM
how are you feeling Tippy? I've been thinking about you! ( I don't pray lol)

lynys
04-11-2008, 02:16 AM
I can tell you one thing... make sure you marry the right person. Unfortunately for me, I made the mistake of marrying the wrong person.

Thankfully, the wedding I did have was a small ceremony with very little detail. Next time, I'll be doing it right.;)

John Maccarrone married myself and my ex-husband. I very highly recommend him. He really is a great guy!

Quick Slice
04-11-2008, 09:46 AM
Heres one...you want to get married but your parents wont come........hubbys will ....but my parents wont........how sad is that? what do you do...? Planning on having a super small wedding this summer......want to do it quick and quietly

snowtrax
04-11-2008, 09:53 AM
did you try Legion hall they have a website with there menu and prices and stuff and it is really affordable ....

Verotik
04-11-2008, 10:02 AM
I did wedding photos at a lodge north of elliot lake, very nice setting for outdoor wedding, lots of outdoor activities for your guests etc.

http://www.laurentianlodge.com/

lol i think they even send out a cd of my photo slideshow now

tippikitty
04-11-2008, 12:38 PM
I'm doing well, thanks for asking Evangeline.

EyelashExtensions
04-11-2008, 01:52 PM
My friends parents own a lodge, it has a hall and cabins and very inexpensive. Its on the water so there is no traveling elsewhere for photos(if your interested pm me) I don't know how long away your getting married but I'm growing my own flowers and hopefully if it all goes as planned make my own arrangements. A&P of all places has very inexpensive wedding packages and they are really pretty, you would never know they weren't from a regular florist. Hope this helps.

iluvchristian
04-11-2008, 09:14 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: secret skwerl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have heard many excuses as to why people don't attend weddings but the most awkward one was that somoene thought it would be a "cheap' wedding because a friend of a friend of the bride blabbed about making it a "budget" wedding. </div></div>

Wow, that's sad!! Luckily I'm not inviting people that I don't know really well. It's mostly family and close friends, who would come whether we had the ceremony in our shorts and reception was a bbq in the backyard, or a fancy all out reception with open bar. (Then again, I think we'd probably have a few cousins twice removed and friends we haven't spoke to try and weasel and invite if it was an open bar /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif LOL)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: verotik667</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did wedding photos at a lodge north of elliot lake, very nice setting for outdoor wedding, lots of outdoor activities for your guests etc.

http://www.laurentianlodge.com/

lol i think they even send out a cd of my photo slideshow now </div></div>

I've been there, about 10 yrs ago, it is really nice! Had alot of fun!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shaybears</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My friends parents own a lodge, it has a hall and cabins and very inexpensive.
A&P of all places has very inexpensive wedding packages and they are really pretty, you would never know they weren't from a regular florist. Hope this helps. </div></div>

That does help, thank you all so much!! I'll get started on looking into this.
And like a few people said, I will try to "not sweat the small stuff" because I am prone to worrying about details. I've been waiting for quite a few years for this day to come and now I'm terrified something horrible will go wrong!

jaydee
04-11-2008, 09:24 PM
or maybe cause its open bar???

Evangeline
04-11-2008, 11:54 PM
A&P for flowers? I would have never thought of that! Do they do center peices too or just bouquets?

jaydee
04-12-2008, 12:20 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Macs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Weddings are the biggest waste of money </div></div>

they are in a way theyre all for show so other people can see how much money you put into it, all this then they break up after, sad

Koss
04-12-2008, 02:43 AM
They don't have to be. If you want to get married it shouldn't be a 'look how much I spent' affair but rather a ceremony and party to announce a new stage in your life; if that what you want to do. If you don't want to get married, that's okay to.

We had over 250 people at our wedding but kept costs below $5000 and that included a jazz ensemble. We cut costs and did alot of things ourselves, including cooking the meal. As a society we have forgot how to be resourceful. We would rather throw money at problem/project than work at it.

EyelashExtensions
04-12-2008, 03:32 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Evangeline</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A&P for flowers? I would have never thought of that! Do they do center peices too or just bouquets? </div></div>

I think they do it all, I'm pretty sure. They will bring the flowers right to the hall or where ever and set them up. I'm not 100% sure but I think thats what my cousin told me.

Barry Morris
04-12-2008, 09:59 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: moooochi</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Macs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Weddings are the biggest waste of money </div></div>

they are in a way theyre all for show so other people can see how much money you put into it, all this then they break up after, sad </div></div>

Ya know, I'd almost figure Macs has found his long lost son.