PDA

View Full Version : New VOIP Phone Company $19 a year unlimited l

Mikee
04-24-2008, 03:19 PM
I thought I would come on here and let you all know of a new company providing phone service for the price of $39 for the whole year . After the first year its only $19 a year for all your phone calls anywhere in the US and Canada. Check out http://www.magicjack.com I went and got one with a US number for now until they get Canadian numbers and the quality is better than vonage or any VOIP out there that I have used. The only downfall is you have to leave your computer on 24/7 since it uses your usb port to access the internet. Check it out I'm 100% happy. If anyone wants me to call them to demonstrate it PM me. Oh forgot to mention you plug in your regular phone into this jack and make regular calls like you would normally do .

GirlNextDoor
04-24-2008, 04:23 PM
i seen one of those on tv, looked kinda neat

Mikee
04-24-2008, 04:28 PM
Ya I've been using it all day and even my family cant tell the difference. They are all going to get it. I'm tired of giving the telephone company a monthly bill. At $19 a year unlimited calling and you get voicemail, caller id, call waiting and call forwading thats great for that price. There offering a 30 try before you buy right now and if you dont like it send it back from me using it I'm keeping it LOL.

Chrylon
04-24-2008, 10:23 PM
PM to you Mike

opinionated
04-25-2008, 05:33 PM
Thats pretty slick... oooonly downside is the uptime. Phone lines are up 99.99999% of the time, they're pretty reliable.

But with VOIP if your computer dies, power goes out, or internet dies, so does your phone.

But for that price, I'd certainly take that risk!! (just keep a cell phone handy too haha)

PrairieDog43
04-25-2008, 09:27 PM
I have the MagicJack... had it a month now. I hooked it up to my laptop, so I can go anywhere wherever I can get a broadband connection. Works on Vista too. I ordered it from a company in Barrie Ontario, and they take COD. The total I paid for it is $83.40 including taxes and shipping. That is cheap for a year of service. After the year of service, it'll cost me $20 for another year. If you buy it outright:

http://www.hookedontronics.ca/

Or you can get it on the site where "Mike" posts.

I call Winnipeg every nite... NO long distance charges ever. And NO monthly charges.

Madmax
04-26-2008, 01:36 AM
Wow that is a pretty good deal better then around here.

Mikee
04-26-2008, 02:27 PM
I ordered mine through there website and shipped it to Sault Mich. It cost me $39 plus $6 shipping it only took 3 days to get here. I love it everyone says its clearer than talking on bells lines. Its great $19 a year for unlimited calls . Our relatives are now getting there own and leaving shaws service .

Madmax
04-26-2008, 03:37 PM
Thats not bad Mike, makes me want to get one sooner then i was thinking.

Mikee
04-26-2008, 05:39 PM
If you want a demo I can call you on it so you can see what its like before you get one. Just PM me your number and I will call you . Its actually nice having a Los Angelas phone number LOL

Shawn
04-26-2008, 07:11 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want a demo I can call you on it so you can see what its like before you get one. Just PM me your number and I will call you . Its actually nice having a Los Angelas phone number LOL </div></div>

Lol... only problem is its not practical for local phone calls as now no one can call you without paying long distance. You would have to have every one of your friends and every business you deal with switch over, otherwise they will all be paying long distance to LA, plus your 911 is based out of the US too so you just lost that in Canada...

Mikee
04-26-2008, 10:28 PM
Ya and your company cant beat the price and like usual the competition comes out to put it down because they cant beat the prices. Guess what I have a home phone here in the Sault and its not with Vianet (THANK GOD) and this is for longdistance. I have heard your service and would never get it.

Madmax
04-27-2008, 08:05 AM
Yes a cell phone for here, plus this new VOIP phone would be a great option and cheaper in the long run for long distance calling.

Depends on what you have for service here as i use pay as you go and i hardly use my cell unless i need to.

Mikee
04-27-2008, 04:13 PM
Ya Madmax thats what we use it for the cell for here in the Sault and the Magic Jack for al the longdistance calling we want. I have been having a blast calling all my friends from coast to coast both canada and US . Whats also nice for me since i'm applying for jobs in LA is I can give them a local number to call me for interviews which is nice to have. Wonder if I call Domino's if they will give the the 30 minutes or its free deal LOL

froggy_doddy
04-27-2008, 09:39 PM
What area code are you using?

Mikee
04-27-2008, 10:08 PM
The area code i use is 213 its downtown LA hope that helps

Madmax
04-28-2008, 08:42 AM
Now with this phone how much is the incoming calls if anyone called you.

Mikee
04-28-2008, 02:02 PM
Madmax that will depend on what area code you get.I think right now the closest is howell MICHIGAN&gt; They are coming out with Canadian area codes. For people calling me not sure exactly the cost but as I mention I kept a basic phone here in the sault and primarily use this phone for all the longdistance I want to make

Madmax
04-28-2008, 02:23 PM
Ah then thats cool, i wonder if it is cheaper to have say my relatives down south call me on that phone or my regular phone or cell phone is all i was wanting to know?

It may cost thme more as it hits the US first, but if they can get Canadian Codes that would be cool.

Mikee
04-28-2008, 03:31 PM
If you do what im doing when your family calles the number tell them you will call back that way they dont get the longdistance phone charges. I suspect there will be a Toronto area code very soon.

Madmax
04-28-2008, 04:05 PM
Ah yes that is a smart thing let it ring don't answer and call back.

froggy_doddy
04-30-2008, 09:05 PM
OK, I read this thread and immediately ordered a MagicJack - got it today.

Initial impression is so-so. Voice quality is clear. However, I've had a few phone calls where the audio broke up and it was hard to have a conversation. Also, if you're dialing using the phone's keypad, numbers often get dropped.

So overall I think it works ok, but it's not as good as I thought it was going to be.

I'd give it a 6.5 out of 10. I just found it to be too unreliable in the 1 day I've used it. (btw, I'd give skype 4 out of 10)

Mikee
04-30-2008, 09:50 PM
I never had the issues that you had with yours mine has been working like a charm on my server . Its a 1.7 gig system 512 megs ram 1 terabyte of hd space. Did you do the update for the software ????? Its an ad that comes up beside the softphone. Also check whats running in the BG i found certain programs can cause issues but once you figure it out it runs like a charm. If you need help just give me a call my MJ number is 213-426-8203.

froggy_doddy
05-01-2008, 04:02 AM
Thx Mike -- I have good PC's with a good connection. I'll try the latest drivers tomorrow. I just figured I had them since the MJ installed on my vista PC's without any problems.

I really hope that installing the "vista" drivers improves the performance. I'll let you know.

Mikee
05-01-2008, 04:07 AM
Ya let me know i was using it today with no issues. When I first got it there were a couple configuration issues but when i did the upgrade from MJ and a few tweaks on my end its been working great. Hope it works better for ya !!!

froggy_doddy
05-01-2008, 03:25 PM
I updated the software, and unplugged-reconnected my router. Seems to work a tad bit better but still pretty unreliable. Like I mentioned earlier, some calls go through fine and are really clear, others are all broken up.

Oh well, neat gadget nonetheless /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Mikee
05-01-2008, 03:47 PM
Thats weird maybe it will work itself out. Mine has had no issues so far knock on wood!!! I hope yours starts working fine soon. I hope you still save money using it. Still cant beat the price!!