PDA

View Full Version : Dying for lack of insurance

Hans
04-26-2008, 02:21 PM
I remember RWGR asking long time ago to provide an example of someone who died because he/she lacked health care insurance in the USA. Well, here it is.

Cancer society: Uninsured 60 percent more likely to die within 5 years of diagnosis
Uninsured Atlanta man has had cancer for 25 of his 52 years
He eventually got insurance, but treatment came too late

Windsor first asked for the radiation therapy 13 years ago, long before his cancer had advanced into the brutal disease that's now assailing him. If he had been treated anytime sooner, the therapy might have worked to eradicate his tumors, when they were still small. But without insurance, Windsor couldn't afford the proper surgeries and follow-up care needed for the radiation to be effective.

If Windsor were poor, he could've found insurance through Medicaid, but his $30,000 income was too much to qualify. So instead, he walked into an Atlanta emergency room.

"All they did for me ... was check my blood pressure and my temperature," Windsor recalls. "I said, 'This is not the answer.' "

Thirteen hours later, feeling frustrated, he left. A few months later, he found his answer: He got health insurance when he married his good friend, Val Chamberoam, who put him on her health policy.

By the time Windsor got to the operating room, in the summer of 2007, his tumor was so large that it covered his entire neck. It had been growing for 10 months.

"It's just never recovered," Windsor said. "It's gone from grade one to grade three, and also now has spread to my lungs."

"We're going through a divorce," he said. "Because I have so many hospital bills now, insurance companies have denied to pay them...so I've done what I think is proper, filed for divorce, so that my wife is not stuck with my hospital bills."

For now, Windsor finds pleasure in the smiles of the people he photographs. As for his own, you never see it. His face is grim and angry.

"I'm angry at the greed of the insurance companies," Windsor said. "Everybody has the right to make profits. Every corporation has the right to be strong, make the right decisions. But I don't think that it is proper to deny people with chronic disease the opportunity to get well."

Windsor's sentiment is probably shared by many of the nearly 50 million Americans who have no health insurance.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/04/25/cancer.windsor/index.html

GenX
04-26-2008, 02:25 PM
"Canada’s Health Act is the backbone of the health care system that - in theory - guarantees “free” health care. But there’s no guarantee for when you will receive it, and it’s not actually free. Besides the health premiums which are legislated by the provinces, there’s an untraceable amount of tax dollars coming out of the pockets of Canadians to fund the endless pit of the health care system.

The Canada Health Act also states that no one should pay for a health service in Canada if others get it for free. So no matter how bad you need surgery, no matter how much money you have, you still need to wait in line like the rest of us. So many who have the money to pay, do. In the US. This has lead to a rise in medical tourism that helps link up rich Canadians with American doctors."

LINK (http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/the_rich_and_famous_guide_to_c/)

"On a subzero Winnipeg morning in 1997, I cut across the hospital emergency room to shave a few minutes off my frigid commute. Swinging open the door, I stepped into a nightmare: the ER overflowed with elderly people on stretchers, waiting for admission. Some, it turned out, had waited five days. The air stank with sweat and urine. Right then, I began to reconsider everything that I thought I knew about Canadian health care. I soon discovered that the problems went well beyond overcrowded ERs. Patients had to wait for practically any diagnostic test or procedure, such as the man with persistent pain from a hernia operation whom we referred to a pain clinic—with a three-year wait list; or the woman needing a sleep study to diagnose what seemed like sleep apnea, who faced a two-year delay; or the woman with breast cancer who needed to wait four months for radiation therapy, when the standard of care was four weeks."

LINK (http://www.city-journal.org/html/17_3_canadian_healthcare.html)

Hans
04-26-2008, 02:27 PM
I think you will never understand the basis of socialized health care, which is based on solidarity rather then who has the biggest pockets.

GenX
04-26-2008, 02:29 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hans</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think you will never understand the basis of socialized health care, which is based on solidarity rather then who has the biggest pockets. </div></div>

/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif

Right! That's why the richest Canadians go to the US for surgeries, and even a leading Canadian politician, Belinda Stronich, left Canada for California when in need of quality care. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif

Hans
04-26-2008, 02:31 PM
And that is because they do not understand that principle either. You are correct in that.

GenX
04-26-2008, 02:33 PM
The principle is flawed, which is why your system is broken.

Hans
04-26-2008, 02:34 PM
Explain what exactly is flawed.

GenX
04-26-2008, 02:35 PM
Nothing is "free".

The government can barely deliver the mail on time. Why on earth would you want them running your healthcare?

Hans
04-26-2008, 02:37 PM
Those are 2 different services that can not be compared. Your comparison is flawed.

So, since you claim nothing is free, it would be about how much you end up paying for this service, would it not?

GenX
04-26-2008, 02:39 PM
No answer, eh??

Hans
04-26-2008, 02:41 PM
Trouble reading again I see. Try not to focus on a far away object for a few minutes, it will relax your eyes.