PDA

View Full Version : Canada Drops the Ball

GenX
04-26-2008, 02:32 PM
"A key adviser to the United Nations has sharply criticized Canada for abandoning its leadership role in international development, and urged the country to step up its level of aid to poorer countries in the face of soaring food prices.

Jeffrey Sachs, one of the world's best-known economists, accused the Harper government yesterday of adopting an "antagonistic," and occasionally "mocking," tone toward the implementation of the UN's Millennium Development Goals, a group of objectives aimed at alleviating problems ranging from poverty to global warming.

"We've seen essentially no global leadership from Canada on poverty, hunger, disease, climate change and foreign assistance," Mr. Sachs, who is a special adviser to UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon, said. "This has been a huge surprise for me as a lifelong admirer of Canada, that we don't see the ambition of the Canadian people manifested in Canada's policies right now.""

LINK (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20080426.FOOD26/TPStory/National)

That cherished Canadian myth of Canada being some utopia of caring and compassion is now, however belatedly, dead.

About time.

Hans
04-26-2008, 02:33 PM
I always thought you were a firm believer of Canada doing nothing and meaning nothing in the world?

GenX
04-26-2008, 02:34 PM
I am, and have been obviously affirmed in my belief, as this UN official clearly states.

Hans
04-26-2008, 02:35 PM
Ah yes, the lifelong admirer of Canada. I wonder what he was admiring eh?

GenX
04-26-2008, 02:38 PM
Your uncanny ability to create an alter-reality, all to hide the pain of what the world is really like, and what Canada's role is in that world.

Hans
04-26-2008, 02:39 PM
Well, according to you Canada has no role. So therefore he was admiring absolutely nothing.

GenX
04-26-2008, 02:40 PM
Bingo!! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Hans
04-26-2008, 02:43 PM
It all makes sense, especially since this guy claims he has seen no global leadership from Canada on global warming. Clearly he is unaware of all the great efforts the only superpower in the world has been doing with regards to global warming, the true global leader in all things human.
Is this guy even living on this planet?

GenX
04-26-2008, 02:44 PM
The US is leading by not drinking the kool aid, as lesser countries like Canada are doing.

Hans
04-26-2008, 02:45 PM
Should that not be cool aid?

GenX
04-26-2008, 02:46 PM
You silly Belgians!

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Park/2070/ohyea3.GIF

Hans
04-26-2008, 02:48 PM
oh, that stuff Kraft Foods from North America makes.

KDawg
04-26-2008, 02:55 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R W G R</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am, and have been obviously affirmed in my belief, as this UN official clearly states. </div></div>

So now you think the UN is a credible body?

Will you make up your mind on which position you want to take? Reading your posts is akin to listening to a Hillary Clinton speech.

Hans
04-26-2008, 02:59 PM
He is a UN supporter.

RWGR 2/16/2005 1:28:09

Oh give me a friggin' break!!

You're a conservative, and I'm a U.N. supporter!!

Let me ask you, are Iraqi's better off now with the auspices of a growing democracy within their grasp, or better off under Saddam?

http://www.sootoday.com/content/editorials/details.asp?c=8218

GenX
04-26-2008, 07:50 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KDawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R W G R</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am, and have been obviously affirmed in my belief, as this UN official clearly states. </div></div>

So now you think the UN is a credible body?

Will you make up your mind on which position you want to take? Reading your posts is akin to listening to a Hillary Clinton speech. </div></div>

I link to the UN because you and your countrymen believe it is a wonderful institution.

Barry Morris
04-26-2008, 08:00 PM
Oh.

Sure.

GenX
04-26-2008, 08:04 PM
You have commented many times how we need to let the UN do more.

Barry Morris
04-26-2008, 08:15 PM
Also how you never will, being control freaks.

GenX
04-26-2008, 08:18 PM
At least you admitted it /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

It's nice to see you not rely on a lie, as usual.

KDawg
04-26-2008, 08:23 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R W G R</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I link to the UN because you and your countrymen believe it is a wonderful institution. </div></div>

I have said here more than once that I have only disdain for the UN, that it is, at a minimum a useless organization, and at most corrupt to its core, so please find for me the quote where I have EVER said the UN is a wonderful institition.

I'll check back at a later time.

Barry Morris
04-26-2008, 09:26 PM
And I have said the UN can never do the job it is supposed to do because national interests are always more important, especially to the countries that have the resources to help.

So, is the UN useless and corrupt? Yes.

But it's too bad the world's policeman won't help.

GenX
04-27-2008, 08:50 AM
The World's Policeman provides more funding for the UN than any other country, by a huge margin.

The World's Policeman has put forth UN reform measures in the last few years, and sadly is usually only supported by Israel. Strangely, Canada is usually nowhere to be found.

Barry Morris
04-27-2008, 09:09 AM
Is that all the clout the USA has?? Bull.

The USA doen't WANT the UN to be effective because it would blunt its own ambitions.

GenX
04-27-2008, 09:13 AM
We have shown we will do what we want, when we feel it is in our best interest, regardless of some useless decree coming from the UN. Just look at the Iraq War as one example.

Therefore, your assertion fails already.

Barry Morris
04-27-2008, 09:18 AM
How funny is that.

"...In our best interest..."

Exactly what I said.

GenX
04-27-2008, 09:21 AM
Every country has over-riding internal interests. The problem in Canada is your incredible lack of anything that even resembles a backbone has turned you into a spineless follower. You've no leadership qualities, none.

I wouldn't expect you to understand the concept of internal interests that trump the status quo, because you have no internal interests, because you lost the will to be a real country that actually matters decades ago.

Weep for Canada.

Huggy85
04-27-2008, 09:25 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R W G R</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The World's Policeman provides more funding for the UN than any other country, by a huge margin.

The World's Policeman has put forth UN reform measures in the last few years, and sadly is usually only supported by Israel. Strangely, Canada is usually nowhere to be found. </div></div>

The world's policeman, as you call it, owes more money to the UN than any other country, actually.

"Since early 2007, the United States also has fallen into arrears of $51 million in dues to the regular U.N. budget"

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2008-04-09-dues_N.htm

You can tell when an organization is in financial trouble when it
stops paying its bills.

Barry Morris
04-27-2008, 09:25 AM
There's justification for us. Worthless.