PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia declares the CPU dead

Ultra54
04-27-2008, 10:24 PM
Nvidia (http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/04/24/nvidia-declares-war-intel) declares the cpu dead.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I donít know how much this will mean to you all but for those that donít know a war has just started that will likely be written about for years and which will affect everyone who owns a PC. Everyone.

Basically the CPU is dead. Yes, that processor you see advertised everywhere from Intel. Its run out of steam. The fact is that it no longer makes anything run faster. You donít need a fast one anymore. This is why AMD is in trouble and its why Intel are panicking. They are panicking so much that they have started attacking us. This is because you do still [need] one chip to get faster and faster Ė the GPU. That GeForce chip. Yes honestly. No I am not making this up. You are my friends and so I am not selling you. This [censored] is just interesting as hell.

</div></div>

Chako
04-28-2008, 07:14 AM
What a bunch of malarkey.

Madmax
04-28-2008, 09:39 AM
Well it is not tottally bull as the processors are really beyond their means right now, anything over 3.0ghz from either company is a waste of computer power.

Basically the processor which many of us know only computes the calculations required for the systems entire calculations that are needed, but graphically it does nothing for the PC.

There is a limitation for the processor and its 3.0ghz right now as like noted anything over that is just adding power that is not really being utilized.

Even is games were 100% fully using all quad-cores 90-100% all that will do is allow the games to render more images in certain calculated spots within the game, but don't ever think its not the GPU power that is a major factor in producing the images and calculated the FPS time frame in order to have it displayed faster on your screen.

GPU's have been shown that they can Compute Faster that Processing Power.

So the article is not Bull, but i do have to agree we still need a fast CPU at least 3.0ghz-3.2ghz for future gaming to help process what those games may require and of course one heck of a GPU card for future gaming is also needed.

GirlNextDoor
04-28-2008, 10:55 AM
Wait 10 years when quantum computing is in full swing. Current gpus and cpus will be look as primative as the old room size computers.

Madmax
04-28-2008, 05:06 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Operating System Not Found</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wait 10 years when quantum computing is in full swing. Current gpus and cpus will be look as primative as the old room size computers. </div></div>

Normal users won't need that.

Hans
04-28-2008, 08:28 PM
The issue is that GPU calculations are totally different then CPU calculations. Each is built for their specific purpose. There's no way a CPU can replace a GPU, or a GPU can replace a CPU.
Neither CPU manufacturer is panicking.
They are however running into problems making CPU's that significantly perform better then the previous generation, because of 2 things :
- 64 bit OS is still not being pushed by Microsoft or OEM
- Multi core is not picking up due to lack of software manufacturer support.

A CPU would perform a lot better if it would run in 64 bit mode, with multi core drivers and software. I am convinced a multi core Nvidia or ATI driver would post a lot better benchmark figures then the current versions.

If you want to see what a difference 1 versus 2 core makes, I suggest you download something called POV RAY, beta version. You can run a benchmark in single core or double core mode. The difference is staggering. (Beta version is currently the only one that supports multi core)

It's really time to ditch 32 bit OS and single core software/drivers.