PDA

View Full Version : U.S. is a suicidal superpower

Hans
04-28-2008, 07:45 PM
I found this article interesting, although the title is a bit on the strong side. But then again, I did not write this article.

I don't know if it's because of our arrogance, our stupidity or maybe both, but I believe that history may one day judge America as the most suicidal superpower of all time. After all, what country that cares about its future would do what America has done to its supply of food and fuel, two of the most critical things that any civilization needs to survive?

We've spent decades giving billions of dollars in government subsidies with incentives for the wrong things, we've mandated that huge areas of farmland stay open for "conservation" and we're using grains that could feed tens of millions of people to make a crappy biofuel that you can't even buy anywhere.

That's not arrogance?

Our fuel policy has been even more absurd. We're completely dependent on foreign countries, many of whom hate us, to keep our trucks moving, our planes flying and our homes warm.

That's not arrogance and suicidal stupidity?

Take a look at the top five countries we currently rely on for oil imports. You tell me if these are the five you would choose if you were creating your own world superpower from scratch: Canada, Saudi Arabia, Mexico, Nigeria, Venezuela.

Aside from Canada, that's not exactly a "Who's Who" list of stable, America-loving countries.

And if you think I cut off the list at five because the next five are so friendly, think again. Here's the next five: Iraq, Angola, Kuwait, Colombia, Ecuador.

The point is that we don't control our own destiny, foreigners do. Despite bipartisan hatred for high oil prices, they've gone up 49 percent since 2006. If we could've done something, anything, to stop that, we would have. But the sad fact is that we can't.

That's why, instead of offering real solutions, most politicians offer something else: blame. Democrats blame Republicans, Republicans blame Democrats, and nothing ever gets solved. President Bush provided a good example of that last week when he was asked about high oil and gas prices.

"We've had an energy policy that neglected hydrocarbons in the United States for a long period of time, and now we're paying the price. We should have been exploring for oil and gas in ANWR, for example," he said. "But, no ... our Congress kept preventing us from opening up new areas to explore in environmentally friendly ways. And now we're becoming, as a result, more and more dependent on foreign sources of oil."

Personally, I think the president is right; we should be drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. In fact, we should've been drilling there a decade ago, but that's not the point anymore. Opening ANWR now would be like stopping at the bathroom on your way to the electric chair; you're only delaying the inevitable.

Should we still do it? Yes. Frankly, we need all the time we can buy ourselves to find a long-term solution; our nation's very survival is at stake. But ANWR is not the answer, it's a Band-Aid, and I worry that our shortsighted politicians would use it as an excuse not to look for viable replacements for oil, which is what we really need.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/04/24/beck.oil.prices/index.html

Madmax
04-28-2008, 07:47 PM
Umm i have been saying this for years and years.

They finally have a leader who is destroying that country.

Hans
04-28-2008, 07:49 PM
It shows what many have been stating on this board : The US relies on Canada and others, not the other way around.

Madmax
04-28-2008, 07:54 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hans</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It shows what many have been stating on this board : The US relies on Canada and others, not the other way around.</div></div>

You got that right, they rely on others to feed their greed and power, then one day they will self destruct with the help of all the countries that support her.

Hans
04-28-2008, 08:13 PM
Think about it. Where do you think the tax rebate money is going to be spend on? Fuel and food? It's going to do nothing to stimulate the US economy.

Madmax
04-28-2008, 08:17 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hans</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Think about it. Where do you think the tax rebate money is going to be spend on? Fuel and food? It's going to do nothing to stimulate the US economy.</div></div>

Yeppers

Hans
04-28-2008, 08:24 PM
Canada and the Arab world will be more then happy to accept the rebate cash in return for oil.

GenX
04-29-2008, 06:51 PM
Right, stimulating the economy does not provide economic stimulus.

That's why I listen to Canadians on economic matters; they're just so damn...smart!

Hans
04-29-2008, 06:52 PM
Depends on what part of the economy you plan on stimulating.

GenX
04-29-2008, 06:55 PM
The...ummm...money side, Hans???

Hans
04-29-2008, 06:58 PM
You clearly demonstrate a lack of knowledge, which is disappointing coming from you.
You truly believe economics is just money?

GenX
04-29-2008, 07:00 PM
Money is a part, Hans. The production of goods and services is the other part.

When the government sends out checks, that's the money part.

Following?

Hans
04-29-2008, 07:02 PM
No, as it depends where the money is going to. It's much more beneficial to have the money go to US companies, then it is to foreign companies.

Following?

GenX
04-29-2008, 07:04 PM
Hans, even is it is a foreign item purchased, a U.S. company is still taking a piece of the pie.

Hans
04-29-2008, 07:04 PM
How is purchasing fuel benefit the US economy?