PDA

View Full Version : Sevice Pack 3

Ultra54
05-06-2008, 11:36 PM
Does it still work with pirated versions?

Hans
05-07-2008, 04:14 PM
Service pack #3 for what?

Killswitch
05-07-2008, 05:01 PM
My guess would be...... Windows XP. What else? lol

Hans
05-07-2008, 06:00 PM
There are several SP3 out there for various windows software and windows versions...

Madmax
05-07-2008, 07:05 PM
If you WGA it otherwise no.

filthy
05-07-2008, 07:58 PM
WGA is part of MS's anti-piracy.

You mean a WGA patch...

Madmax
05-07-2008, 10:52 PM
Yeah he know what i mean't, i not have the issue as i have a legit XP and i have SP3 installed from windows updates, did it today and is ok so far.

codename
05-13-2008, 12:41 PM
Just for fun I tried it on a cracked install and it worked fine.Boot up seems to take longer though. And BTW I did WGA it without any trouble.

Madmax
05-13-2008, 01:00 PM
The thing is until when?

Shawn
05-13-2008, 08:45 PM
Upgraded all the computers in the office, except one... keep getting access denied messaged... followed Microsoft's help to fix the registry but no change... Guess I am going to have to keep working on it.

B.David
05-13-2008, 10:24 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ultra54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Does it still work with pirated versions?</div></div>

Well, my XP Professional is pirated and I just installed Service Pack 3 with no issues. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Once I get a new PC, I'll get Vista legit.

Madmax
05-14-2008, 08:03 AM
I still have no issues so far since installing it on May 07, 2008 and my copy is a legit copy.

I also have 2 legit copies of Vista Ulatimate which one is the 64 bit version. I never tried to install the service pack 1 for them, but maybe i shall do so to see if any issues arise from it.

403_forbidden
05-14-2008, 08:30 AM
I am in the middle of testing SP3 for XP now on various hardware/software platforms and so far so good. I don't really see any performance increase in any of the PCs I have tested it on.

I Installed SP1 on VISTA Business edition on a couple of test PCs....it actually seem to improve stability and speed....including the shut down time during reboot cycles.

Madmax
05-14-2008, 03:50 PM
Glad to see the SP1 works for Vista as some ppl have claimed it screwed their systems up, but who knows what they were running at the time for software and if the vista was legit or not.

Hans
05-14-2008, 06:45 PM
I can't install Vista SP1 because I am unable to install the bitlocker update. It keeps failing, and without that bitlocker update you can not install SP1. Annoying to say the least, because I don't use and ever plan to use bitlocker.

Madmax
05-14-2008, 07:02 PM
So you disabled it or chose to uninstall it (bitlocker)?

Hans
05-14-2008, 07:05 PM
It does not matter, you have to install 3 updates in order to install SP1. One of those 3 is this bitlocker update. Any Vista version that has that feature has to install the update, regardless of you using or not using it.

Madmax
05-14-2008, 09:14 PM
So whats the issue?

Install it and then disable it.

Hans
05-14-2008, 10:02 PM
I can not install the update, that's the issue...

403_forbidden
05-14-2008, 10:38 PM
Why don't you download the standalone SP 1 update file from MS:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/detai...&DisplayLang=en (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b0c7136d-5ebb-413b-89c9-cb3d06d12674&DisplayLang=en)

I heard there can be problems updating VISTA SP1 through Windows update site.

Hans
05-15-2008, 10:46 AM
Did that, it does not work. There are 3 pre requisites you have to install (or 2 if your version of Vista does not come with bitlocker feature). Without those 3 installed you can not install SP1.

filthy
05-15-2008, 11:50 AM
Bitlocker is a component of Vista Ultimate and Business, and is a pretty handy drive encryption feature. I now have 3 PC's running Vista Home Premium x64, and none had an issue with SP1.

Madmax
05-15-2008, 08:38 PM
Hans is yours a Vista that was made slim with nlite or vlite?

If so you maybe sol unless you can install bitlocker seperately.

Hans
05-15-2008, 10:09 PM
Nope, it's a complete installation. I have a feeling it might be related to the way the vista mbr interacts with my mbr manager. This update suposedly updates the mbr. I will have to sleep over it.

filthy
05-21-2008, 02:07 PM
Vistabootpro is a great MBR manager with a nice GUI. Works if Vista was installed first or last.

Hans
05-21-2008, 02:56 PM
Vistabootpro is a BCD editor, not a real boot manager. I use Acronis OS selector, which is a true boot manager with many features.

RuMoR
06-04-2008, 05:09 PM
I've actually decided to reinstall and go back to SP2, I find SP3 is giving me roids.. and yes, it's installed on a Pirated version of XP, mind you I slipstreamed it in my existing DVD that I made with nLite. Glad I have an old copy, I'm finding that the SP3 is causing unnecessary issues. According to a couple other forums I frequent, it's a useless update anyway.. I need to look into what exactly it does anyway. If it doesn't benefit me in any way, there's really no need to install it as far as I can tell. It's always been a good practice of mine to go and read all the details of each update before I download/install them anyway, most of the time "It prevents someone from accessing my computer" simply isn't reason enough to download an update.. if someone wanted to access my computer, they would anyway. Problem is, most people that think there is some elite hacker out there just itching to hack your computer, simply isn't the case. 90% of the time anything that goes wrong with your computer is something YOU DID ALL BY YOURSELF. You want my advice, Firefox, Noscript, CookieSafe.. oh and a Router... the biggest tip. Avoid surfing to sites that you don't know anything about.

Hans
06-04-2008, 07:12 PM
It all depends. On my desktop and laptop I am less concerned about being hacked then on my server. Reason being is my server is online 24/7, the 2 others only when I am using them.
A router by itself does not increase your security, neither does Firefox etc...
Security starts with the setup of the OS, which is where most people start of wrong.
I really hope windows 7 will have a proper account setup and account rights right out of the box. It would save a lot of headaches.

Flawless Disaster
06-05-2008, 01:39 AM
MS tried doing that with Vista. I remember when I was getting trained on Vista, the training material right from MS stated that it would be virtually impossible for a virus to corrupt the OS because of the user rights. Even though the user account is an admin, it still doesnt have write access to many critical OS files. Obviously they were proved wrong.

MS OS users will always have troubles with virus' and hackers simply because MS has the biggest market share and it would be more worth while for a hacker to get into someone's PC using Windows rather than Linux or OSX. Knowing that, I have yet to reformat over a virus. I seldomly use virus protection simply because it hogs resources and is useless when you know what you are doing.