PDA

View Full Version : important site

millie
05-07-2008, 07:55 AM
http://www.democraticmedia.ca/

Flawless Disaster
05-08-2008, 01:14 PM
For those looking for a bit more information than just a link, its a petition of some sort to stop telecom companies from throttling web access.

tired-n-cranky
05-08-2008, 02:20 PM
There is also a protest occuring in Ottawa this month.

http://www.netneutralityrally.ca/

Hans
05-08-2008, 07:03 PM
I am not sure, this seems to be network neutrality at ISP level. I am not sure if I understand this right, but are they advocating that ISP's should remain network neutral?

tired-n-cranky
05-09-2008, 08:01 AM
Hans, yes. We believe that no transit provider should be able should be able to dictate which traffic goes into a slow lane, and which in fast lane.

Imagine Youtube being dialup speeds, but Bell's online video sites being lightning fast. Or Apple Itunes store slow as hell, but a Shaw online music store being fast.

Hans
05-09-2008, 01:45 PM
How's Bell going to influence this, as they are not an ISP?

tired-n-cranky
05-09-2008, 02:49 PM
Bell is already influencing this, as they are the ATM network provider for nearly all DSL based ISPs. They took what they chose to do for Sympatico, and forced it down the throats of all independant ISPs.

Hans
05-09-2008, 03:44 PM
So you are stating there's no alternative to using Bell as an ATM network provider?

tired-n-cranky
05-09-2008, 10:22 PM
In Ontario/Quebec, next to zero chance. Bell owns all the public phone infrastructure.

Hans
05-10-2008, 01:25 PM
But the way I see it, the phone infrastructure is not the issue. The issue is that ISP's resell internet access using Bell's internet link. Why don't you guys stick all your heads together and purchase an internet link directly so you don't have to worry about Bell?

tired-n-cranky
05-10-2008, 04:35 PM
That is incorrect.

Each ISP has their own internet link.

The phone infrastructure is the issue.

Think of it this way. Your are an ISP, and have your own internet connection(s). Your next door neighbour wants to share, so you decide to sell him access. So you lease the physical phone line from Bell for the connection between you and him.

Bell is doing nothing but providing a physical link between your customer and you. No internet access, just a physical link.

Bell puts the throttling on the phone (DSL) line. This has nothing to do with internet, because DSL can also be used for private non-internet connections, and they would face the same throttling.

Shawn
05-10-2008, 07:46 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hans</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But the way I see it, the phone infrastructure is not the issue. The issue is that ISP's resell internet access using Bell's internet link. Why don't you guys stick all your heads together and purchase an internet link directly so you don't have to worry about Bell? </div></div>

Its a lot more than that too... There are a lot of new regulations that also restrict ISP's from being able to build their own network. The biggest problem right now is the cost of telephone poles. Many are outdated and would require new phone poles due to the new regulations. I have been trying to get some stuff going in the Sault here, but the cost to run fibre from the station tower to the Bell CO on Queen, you could go buy a new car or 2 for what it would cost to replace the telephone poles... It would be cheaper to dig a trench over there than run it on the poles. The cost of fibre is not really whats restricting isp's its the costs to lay it that is.

mboy67
05-10-2008, 09:35 PM
the red tape is choking us all.

Hans
05-11-2008, 12:44 PM
Wireless is the future, there's no doubt about that.