PDA

View Full Version : Wings could win and nobody cares.

Jack Butler
05-10-2008, 02:12 PM
I agree with that CBC clown Don Cherry.
Cherry is kind of like the Buzzard. If you keep talking long enough, eventually you will say something right!
Detroit, with all their skill and finesse, can not draw a crowd.
The amount of empty seat would lead you to believe Wing fans aren't buying it.
That's the price you pay when you play soft, in a town based on original six memories.
Their players that do not play soft, it is said, have adapted the Canadian style of playing.
Guess, the skilled imports ability to play the Canadian Game is the difference whether people care!

GenX
05-10-2008, 02:15 PM
The reason there are empty seats is because no one can afford to go, due to the crappy Michigan economy.

Why is Michigan's economy so crappy? Because enough people were dumb enough to re-elect a Democrat born in Canada.

That's a recipe for disaster.

Sure enough.

Jack Butler
05-10-2008, 02:23 PM
Nice try!
That's a poor excuse!
Why do you think they signed McCarty?
Didn't work, but that was why.
The jury has spoken on this one!

GenX
05-10-2008, 02:35 PM
They signed McCarty so as to be a tougher team.

When it comes to pure talent on the Wings, however, the Europeans skate circles around the Canadians and Americans.

Not your game anymore, Jack. Sorry to break the news.

Jack Butler
05-10-2008, 07:53 PM
I've heard that!
I don't believe it, but I have heard it!
Americans, with inferiority complexes are big on that.
In your world, is everything the Democrats fault?
Detroit fans are hardcore hockey fans, and they are not supporting a style, you say leads the way.
I'm not buying it, cause, they can't sell it!

GenX
05-11-2008, 09:36 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Americans, with inferiority complexes are big on that </div></div>

/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif

Even Canadians admit they are a country that can be defined as one, big inferiority complex! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif

Jack Butler
05-11-2008, 09:52 AM
Says you!

GenX
05-11-2008, 10:05 AM
Errr...no, says any Canadian with a realistic view of the world (which, admittedly, is a shrinking group).

Jack Butler
05-11-2008, 10:15 AM
You can't even get an American to agree!
Where are they?
It's just you, oh and a yer' complex!

GenX
05-11-2008, 10:16 AM
Mr. Knoff, you're just being silly now!

Jack Butler
05-11-2008, 10:26 AM
The Buzzard and his fractional friend, that's it!
Easy pickens.

GenX
05-11-2008, 12:44 PM
How's homeboy Marty Turco doing???

Looks like he still can't win at the Joe!

He will, yet again, falter, being beat by a team full of Europeans.

GenX
05-11-2008, 12:51 PM
http://a.abcnews.com/images/US/ap_hockey_080411_ssh.jpg

<span style='font-size: 26pt'>L-O-S-E-R!!!!</span>

Jack Butler
05-11-2008, 01:43 PM
How's your hometown boy doing?
Ha, Ha, Ha, what country?
Go ahead say it, CANADA!
Canada 11, Sweden 9, and the USA..ha, ha, 4!
Put some ice on it.
The swelling should go down in a couple of days..

Jack Butler
05-11-2008, 09:36 PM
Empty seats in Detroit are not about the Democrats.
Last nights game was a sell out.
I guess you can't even give 'em away, hum?

GenX
05-12-2008, 06:29 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jack Butler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
How's your hometown boy doing?
Ha, Ha, Ha, what country?
Go ahead say it, CANADA!
Canada 11, Sweden 9, and the USA..ha, ha, 4!
Put some ice on it.
The swelling should go down in a couple of days.. </div></div>

The Wings have the least amount of Canadians on their team than anyone else in the league! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif

GenX
05-12-2008, 06:30 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jack Butler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Empty seats in Detroit are not about the Democrats.
Last nights game was a sell out.
I guess you can't even give 'em away, hum?

</div></div>

Are you kidding me??

The combination of being a Canadian and a Democrat means the woman is barely smart enough to feed herself! In fact, she no doubt feels it is the government's job to feed her.

Jack Butler
05-12-2008, 06:51 PM
Pssst....11 is a bigger number than 9 and we don't have Democrats!
They are called Liberals, Buzzard.
Can't even give 'em away, sad, really sad!

Jack Butler
05-12-2008, 09:04 PM
BTW, our other hometown boy, is also making his hometown proud!
Tyler Kennedy was the second best forward on Pitt last night!
So anyway, did you say something?
Oh, and Marty's golf Tourney donates thousands locally.
He has gifted the Soo Pee Wee Arena enough to replace the complete boards and glass, as well as a beautiful accent wall for donation recognition.
Marty will be fine, either way, a "Hall Of Famer"!
This little city has more than that in the Bigs! And you?
Your just so jealous, Ha, Ha, Ha!
Like always, you got nothing, absolutely NOTHING!

Bobby Bear
05-15-2008, 04:13 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R W G R</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The reason there are empty seats is because no one can afford to go, due to the crappy Michigan economy.

Why is Michigan's economy so crappy? Because enough people were dumb enough to re-elect a Democrat born in Canada.

That's a recipe for disaster.

Sure enough.

</div></div>

Absolutely. Also, the Wings have to compete with the Pistons for most of the season as well as the Tigers and Lions to a lesser extent. Not to mention college sports. Besides, basketball and football are the big draws in D-town…and most of the US.

They may be able to sell the games out if they build an area in the suburbs, because ultimately, the city of Detroit has to be the biggest piece of garbage in the world…or at least North America. No one really wants to come downtown anymore…unless it’s to see the Lions lose.

GenX
05-15-2008, 08:38 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BTW, our other hometown boy, is also making his hometown proud!
Tyler Kennedy was the second best forward on Pitt last night! </div></div>

I like Tyler Kennedy. My daughter was a guest at his parent's house twice this past winter. They were extremely kind.

Who I do not like is Marty Turco. I've watched him (officiated him, even) since he was on Legion. He was dirty then, he was dirty at the U of M, and he's dirty in Dallas. And yet he has the balls to complain and cry over any perceived slight.

I will watch in joyful glee as that blowhard plays his last hockey game Saturday afternoon.

Marty will be coming back to the Sault early next week, compliments of the Euro Twins of Detroit!

Jack Butler
05-15-2008, 09:02 PM
Come on, who are you kidding!
The games are sold out, in what is supposed to be, Hockey Town.
That would mean there are tickets for free that aren't being used!
Blah, Blah, Blah, they ain't buying it.
Of the pro teams in Detroit, the Wings are their best bet for a Championship, and they are staying home!
Apparently, it's nothing to rally around, or they would be there.
Nice try!

Bobby Bear
05-15-2008, 10:24 PM
I’m not kidding anyone. The problem is exactly how RWGR explained it. Michigan has a very poor economy and people just aren’t going anywhere. I know of several people I work with who gave up their season tickets b/c their spouse lost his/her job due to the auto industry. A lot of people went to see all four pro teams play. Now they have to choose one…and it won’t be the Wings. Regardless of how far they go.

The Pistons and Lions will ALWAYS sell out before the Wings. The Lions have actually been the hottest ticket in Detroit…and they’re horrible. I managed to buy Wings vs. Habs tickets two days before the game a couple years ago. That’s unheard of in any Canadian or other original six city. Even in ‘Hockeytown’ hockey isn’t the main game. And that’s not even covering U of M or Michigan State games.

I honestly think that if a new arena is built in the burbs then more people will go see the games. Hockey is the last thing that a family of 4 wants to spend $200+ in a night on. Factor in the hour drive to and the two hour drive from Joe Louis. No one who goes to see Detroit play actually lives in Detroit…that’s part of the problem.

Also, let’s face it…we as Canadians care a lot more about hockey than most American cities. Especially those that have the NBA and NFL…and even baseball. The US just doesn’t care. They’ll watch water polo before the NHL. I don’t get why…but that’s the way it is.

Jack Butler
05-16-2008, 08:53 AM
Nice story!
I ain't buying it.
True Wings fans would be there, if it was something special.
They need 20,000 in a town of how many?
The game are sold out and the seats are empty.
That means there are FREE ticket that aren't get used.
Not $200.00, I am talking FREE!
So much for the mighty USofA!

Bobby Bear
05-16-2008, 11:05 AM
We’re kind of saying the same thing though right? The true Wings fans DO go to the games. There’s just not as many of them. I’ve explained the reasons why. It has nothing to do with free tickets or anything like that.

It all comes down to the majority of people not caring about hockey. Sure they only need 20,000 to sell out…BUT…literally almost everyone who goes to see Wings games (or Tigers and Lions games for that matter) lives outside of Detroit. They live in the suburbs…Troy, Dearborn, Utica, Auburn Hills, Royal Oak, etc. That would be like all of the Leafs fans commuting in from Oakville, Burlington, Mississauga, etc.

I wouldn’t be surprised if there are more die-hard Wings fans who live in Windsor than who live in the Detroit area. You see it every home game.

The fact is, hockey just doesn’t matter in the US. There are really only two sports that matter…the NFL and NASCAR. Then there’s the NBA and MLB after that. Hockey is far down on the list. This is why the NHL doesn’t have a TV deal. This is why there are many arenas that never sell out. They just don’t like it.

Canada is the only country in the world where hockey is the leading sport. But that may change if Toronto gets an NFL team. Or NASCAR starts to have races here. Even in Finland, Sweden, Russia, etc hockey takes a back seat to football (soccer). And I guarantee you that if there were more organized football leagues here, then hockey would be fighting for number 1 in Canada as well. We already see it with younger kids. There are more kids playing football than hockey right now.

Toronto FC could have easily built a 20,000 – 30,000 seat arena and it would be sold out every home game. Hockey is just declining. I think it has to do with a few things. The main reason is it’s expensive to have your child in hockey. Not to mention two or three children. Equipment every year, ice time, trips, etc. It’s expensive and people just aren’t dishing out the money anymore.

Also, the actual product sucks. I love hockey, but expansion has killed the league. They could easily get rid of three to five franchises. There isn’t enough talent to go around. There is no reason why California has three teams…Florida has two, and so on. I bet that if the on-ice product was to improve, more people would be inclined to check it out.

Jack Butler
05-16-2008, 01:13 PM
Your football stats only mean they like summer rather than winter sports.
And I will agree, to the point, that hockey is becoming a spectator sport.
Like extreme sports, people love to watch, but will not participate.
Canadian Style Hockey fits the definition of an extreme sport.
International hockey does not, so people, who love hockey, and there is more than enough to fill The Joe, don't care!
Bring back that Canadian flavor, and see what happens
You couldn't be more right about expansion. The NHL can not guarantee that the product is a good one, every night, in every arena.
Though a winning product, it's apparently a product that doesn't sell!