J*B
05-14-2008, 07:09 PM
ALSO CHECK IT OUT AT SNOPES
http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/postcard.asp
>
> Hi All, I checked with Norton Anti-Virus, and they are gearing up for this
> virus!
>
> I checked Snopes (URL above:), and it is for real!!
>
> Get this E-mail message sent around to your contacts ASAP.
>
> PLEASE FORWARD THIS WARNING AMONG FRIENDS, FAMILY AND CONTACTS!
>
> You should be alert during the next few days. Do not open any message with
> an attachment entitled 'POSTCARD,' regardless of who sent it to you. It is a
> virus which opens A POSTCARD IMAGE, which 'burns' the whole hard disc C of
> your computer. This virus will be received from someone who has your e-mail
> address in his/her contact list. This is the reason why you need to send
> this e-mail to all your contacts It is better to receive this message 25
> times than to receive the virus and open it.
>
> If you receive a mail called' POSTCARD,' even though sent to you by a
> friend, do not open it! Shut down your computer immediately.
> This is the worst virus announced by CNN. It has been classified by
> Microsoft as the most destructive virus ever. This virus was discovered by
> McAfee yesterday, and there is no repair yet for this kind of virus. This
> virus simply destroys the Zero Sector of the Hard Disc, where the vital
> information is kept.
>
> COPY THIS E-MAIL, AND SEND IT TO YOUR FRIENDS. REMEMBER: IF YOU SEND IT TO
> THEM, YOU WILL BENEFIT ALL OF US
>
> Snopes lists all the names it could come in.

Received this just now in my mail from a friend, anyone hear of this??

Hans
05-14-2008, 07:26 PM
Spam, because there's no such thing as "burning" your whole hard disc c. There's also no such thing as a zero sector, it's called sector 0 and holds the MBR. This MBR can very easily be restored to normal and deleting this sector will not delete any data on your hdd.

J*B
05-14-2008, 08:04 PM
Hmmm according to their site it is a real virus..

mr ed
05-14-2008, 08:10 PM
jb your own link at snopes quotes your message as the hoax lol appreciate your concern though

Hans
05-14-2008, 08:50 PM
lol, they basically wrote down what I already answered.

wiegand
05-22-2008, 04:31 PM
hahahahahaha who's dumb enough to fall for another one of these?
for those of you who are, give linux a shot hahahahahahhah

Flawless Disaster
05-22-2008, 05:09 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WtF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hahahahahaha who's dumb enough to fall for another one of these?
for those of you who are, give linux a shot hahahahahahhah</div></div>

I seriously doubt that if someone is so computer illiterate to fall for this, Linux wont be the solution as its totally different than Windows and most of all, less user friendly

wiegand
05-22-2008, 05:26 PM
less user friendly? hah, i beg to differ. dont seem like you used linux much. bsd is the one thats less user friendly lol.

you probably should try linux for noobs... you can download ubuntu or fedora core... they are both noob'd...
or if your a big noob, try lindows...

currently i use debian and redhat enterprise on my linux boxes

Flawless Disaster
05-22-2008, 10:26 PM
I have switched from XP to Ubuntu and I assure you I am not new to the computer world. 30 minutes after the switch, I switched back. Here's the thing. The general computer user, the ones that are lucky enough to be able to sign into MSN and check their email are not going to like Linux.

wiegand
05-22-2008, 11:40 PM
it wont hurt to inform them about Gaim, or Alvaro's.
nor would it hurt to take the 30 seconds to show them firefox or something. even if its on a live CD, linux makes a difference if your cautious on something.

if you use linux, nobody will [censored] with you.
you MIGHT catch a little bug every 2-3 years, but chances are rare.

if you are looking for a small distribution of a live linux, get it!! DAMN SMALL LINUX IS GREAT, 50meg, and has EVERYTHING!

download it now man, http://gulus.usherbrooke.ca/pub/distro/DamnSmallLinux/current/dsl-4.3.iso

Damn Small is small enough and smart enough to do the following things:

* Boot from a business card CD as a live linux distribution (LiveCD)
* Boot from a USB pen drive
* Boot from within a host operating system (that's right, it can run *inside* Windows)
* Run very nicely from an IDE Compact Flash drive via a method we call "frugal install"
* Transform into a Debian OS with a traditional hard drive install
* Run light enough to power a 486DX with 16MB of Ram
* Run fully in RAM with as little as 128MB (you will be amazed at how fast your computer can be!)
* Modularly grow -- DSL is highly extendable without the need to customize

DSL was originally developed as an experiment to see how many usable desktop applications can fit inside a 50MB live CD. It was at first just a personal tool/toy. But over time Damn Small Linux grew into a community project with hundreds of development hours put into refinements including a fully automated remote and local application installation system and a very versatile backup and restore system which may be used with any writable media including a hard drive, a floppy drive, or a USB device.

DSL has a nearly complete desktop, and many command line tools. All applications are chosen with the best balance of functionality, size and speed. Damn Small also has the ability to act as an SSH/FTP/HTTPD server right off of a live CD. In our quest to save space and have a fully functional desktop we've made many GUI administration tools which are fast yet still easy to use. What does DSL have?

XMMS (MP3, CD Music, and MPEG), FTP client, Dillo web browser, Netrik web browser, FireFox, spreadsheet, Sylpheed email, spellcheck (US English), a word-processor (Ted), three editors (Beaver, Vim, and Nano [Pico clone]), graphics editing and viewing (Xpaint, and xzgv), Xpdf (PDF Viewer), emelFM (file manager), Naim (AIM, ICQ, IRC), VNCviwer, Rdesktop, SSH/SCP server and client, DHCP client, PPP, PPPoE (ADSL), a web server, calculator, generic and GhostScript printer support, NFS, Fluxbox and JWM window managers, games, system monitoring apps, a host of command line tools, USB support, and pcmcia support, some wireless support.

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/dsl-3.1.jpg
http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/images/dsl-4.2.x.jpg
http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/images/dsl-4.2.x2.jpg

wiegand
05-22-2008, 11:50 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flawless Disaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have switched from XP to Ubuntu and I assure you I am not new to the computer world. 30 minutes after the switch, I switched back. </div></div>

so if your not new to the computer world, and you switched back only after 30 mins, what went wrong? did you krash?

takes longer than that to install ubuntu..
besides, its pointy-clicky, simple to use!
thats as friendly its gonna get...

maybe you should download BSD (have fun), even i shake my head at it LOL

Flawless Disaster
05-23-2008, 12:37 AM
I never had a problem with it. I just think Windows is more easier to use. I also had hardware problems and the solutions were either werent there or didnt fix my problem. At least with Windows, hardware support is in the upper 90% range, with the exclusion of Vista. It may be easy for you to play around with but for some people, not indicating myself, Windows is what they prefer.

V Code
05-23-2008, 09:23 AM
why is it that people with windows have to get viri? its has been forever since i have gotten any sort of virus on my machine and i run no anti virus. i am just a smart user. theres two things that will keep you safe and linux is not one of them. keep all mail to webmail and know where your downloading from (TL is a great place to start as it has everything, for those without access to TL sorry bout your [censored] luck)

GirlNextDoor
05-23-2008, 11:10 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flawless Disaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WtF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hahahahahaha who's dumb enough to fall for another one of these?
for those of you who are, give linux a shot hahahahahahhah</div></div>

I seriously doubt that if someone is so computer illiterate to fall for this, Linux wont be the solution as its totally different than Windows and most of all, less user friendly </div></div>

My 12 and 9 year old uses linux, and thye prefer it to windows hands down. If a computer illiterate 12 year old can figure out how to use linux without outside help, than im pretty sure anyone can. It all boils down to laziness to attempt to go through the heaps of information thats provided to you about the OS. hell its gotten to the point of copy/paste to use the OS.

Hans
05-23-2008, 12:28 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WtF</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flawless Disaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have switched from XP to Ubuntu and I assure you I am not new to the computer world. 30 minutes after the switch, I switched back. </div></div>

so if your not new to the computer world, and you switched back only after 30 mins, what went wrong? did you krash?

takes longer than that to install ubuntu..
besides, its pointy-clicky, simple to use!
thats as friendly its gonna get...

maybe you should download BSD (have fun), even i shake my head at it LOL </div></div>

I tried several distributions over the past weeks now. They all have the same problems :

- Difficult to install the latest Nvidia driver for the 9600 GT I use.
- Even more difficult to install the X-FI drivers for the X-FI I use.

Result : I end up in vga mode with no 3d acceleration, and sound is very iffy (If you manage to get it installed)

Conclusion : Linux might be "good", but only if all your hardware is supported out of the box. Driver installation is difficult to extremely difficult and requires a large amount of support forums reading.

Hans
05-23-2008, 12:49 PM
You might also want to start patching your Linux boxes.

Huge Hole in Open Source Software Found, Leaves Millions Vulnerable.

A simple programming error reduced the entropy in the generated program keys created by the OpenSSL library. Why does this matter? The OpenSSL library's key generation and other routines are used by the SSH remote access program, the IPsec Virtual Private Network (VPN), the Apache Web server, secure email clients, programs that offer secure internet portals and more.

Just two lines of code created crippling security holes in four different open source operating systems, 25 application programs, and millions of internet-attached computer systems. The vulnerability was publicly discovered for the first time May 13, after having left the door open nearly two years. A patch has been distributed, but that can do nothing to repair the damage that has occurred to compromise systems. Worse yet, it appears that through the installation of compromised keys on other systems, numerous systems not even running the code have likely been compromised.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=11869

J*B
05-23-2008, 01:22 PM
If you noticed at the bottom of my post, it wasn't my link or notice, it was passed on by a friend..

But it does say.. Status: <span style="color: #FF0000">Real virus</span>

tired-n-cranky
05-23-2008, 02:05 PM
[quote='67 L-79]keep you safe and linux is not one of them. /quote]

Really? I can count on one hand how many times my Linux machines have been infected with a virus just by simply visisting a web site. ZERO.

ActiveX can exploit a windows box just by having a malicious code on a website. So can many other things.

Then there is the stupid email worms, and network worms, and on and on.

Hans
05-23-2008, 02:13 PM
I would be more concerned with insecure boxes. That's where it becomes real easy to compromise a linux machine due to the user not understanding what they are doing.

wiegand
05-23-2008, 09:24 PM
whats so hard about firefox?
or even safari?

hah

Flawless Disaster
05-23-2008, 09:47 PM
Its not the fact of teaching them firefox, gaim, and other programs, its the whole interface and user experience. Windows is much easier to navigate and most importantly, most of the older generation grew up using Windows. Now I am only talking about the computer illiterate people, not tech savvy people.

As for security, common sense is the best tool to have. I dont have a firewall nor an antivirus scanner and I have yet to reformat over a virus or piece of spyware. The only protection I have is Super Antispyware and I hardly even scan it.

V Code
05-23-2008, 10:25 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NeTDaWg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[quote='67 L-79]keep you safe and linux is not one of them. /quote]

Really? I can count on one hand how many times my Linux machines have been infected with a virus just by simply visisting a web site. ZERO.

ActiveX can exploit a windows box just by having a malicious code on a website. So can many other things.

Then there is the stupid email worms, and network worms, and on and on. </div></div>

sorry three things

3. STAY AWAY from IE, use firefox....

satisfied netdawg /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif