PDA

View Full Version : OKay - what is slowing me down?

kalam
05-17-2008, 02:00 PM
Hi Everyone,

You may recall I posted a while back about getting a 16mbps connection, and inquired to you, asking how fast that would be. I ran the speedtest.net test thingy (I have noticed many of you have done so in the past too), but I am disappointed by what I am seeing.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/272632001.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

So, what is slowing me down? I have seen many of your posted speedtests, some exceeding 20000 kb/s.

Any suggestions, thoughts or ideas?

Your help is much appreciated.

Ka:

kalam
05-17-2008, 02:06 PM
Could it be my router? My main computer (the one I did the speed test with) is directly connected, I mean it is not wireless...

http://trendnet.com/image/products/photo/TEW-432BRP_d1_1.jpg
My router (http://trendnet.com/products/proddetail.asp?prod=165_TEW-432BRP&cat=41)

KaL

Hans
05-17-2008, 02:22 PM
If that's a dsl, most likely you are syncing on a 10 Mbit instead of 16 Mbit, profile due to noise on your telephone line. It's one of those great things about DSL. The further you are away from the CO, the greater your chance is of syncing on a slower profile then that what they sold you.
You should go into your DSL modem, and see if you can pull some line stats up. Post those and I am sure some DSL guru will tell you what I just told you...

kalam
05-17-2008, 03:06 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hans</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If that's a dsl, most likely you are syncing on a 10 Mbit instead of 16 Mbit, profile due to noise on your telephone line. It's one of those great things about DSL. The further you are away from the CO, the greater your chance is of syncing on a slower profile then that what they sold you.
You should go into your DSL modem, and see if you can pull some line stats up. Post those and I am sure some DSL guru will tell you what I just told you...
</div></div>

Hi Hans - I was hoping you would be one to respond. You always seem to have incredible connection speeds. I have a cable connection (The Amazing Persona, Sudbury area). Not sure what kind of modem it is - the guy just connected it Thursday. On the front it says "Touchtone telephony modem".

how would I pull up line stats from this?

KaL

Hans
05-17-2008, 05:51 PM
oops, I thought you had DSL. Now I remember, you have cable.

Well, I know of some routers that have only 10 Mbit WAN. Since you seem to be getting 10 Mbit, there's the possibility you are running at 10 Mbit somewhere.

A normal network card allows for 10/100, or 10/100/1000 if you have a Gigabit network card.
Most drivers for network cards are by default configured for something called auto sensing. They basically switch to 10 or 100 mode automatically.
However, this sometimes does not work all that well and then the driver enables 10 instead of 100 for compatibility reasons.

In your case, I would verify the following :
- network card running at 100 setting. Just double click the local area connection icon on your bottom right and under speed it will show your connection. Should be saying 100
- router setting for WAN port. My router and possibly yours also allows you to set the WAN speed manually. Make sure it's set to 100.

Let's see if that did the trick.

Hans
05-17-2008, 05:53 PM
Here's my speed for today, which is a new record for me.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/272705951.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Hans
05-17-2008, 05:56 PM
I think I might have found what is causing your slow speed...

http://www.speedtest.net/result/272706607.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Try to use Iron Mountain for a speedtest instead of Kippen, it looks to me like Kippen bottoms out at 10 Mbit/sec...

H.E. Pennypacker
05-17-2008, 05:59 PM
hey hans, i just noticed my internet is actually showing 10mbps too...i just can't seem to find the setting to change it to 100! any help? (it's a 3com network card)

H.E. Pennypacker
05-17-2008, 06:02 PM
http://www.speedtest.net/result/272708557.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

kalam
05-17-2008, 08:08 PM
Hi Hans,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hans</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
In your case, I would verify the following :
- network card running at 100 setting. Just double click the local area connection icon on your bottom right and under speed it will show your connection. Should be saying 100
- router setting for WAN port. My router and possibly yours also allows you to set the WAN speed manually. Make sure it's set to 100.

Let's see if that did the trick. </div></div>

Strange - I do not have a local area connection icon. I know what you are refering to, but it is not there...strange?

I went into my router settings, but I could not find anywhere to put "100" re" WAN port. Argh...

KaL

kalam
05-17-2008, 08:17 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KaLaM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Strange - I do not have a local area connection icon. I know what you are refering to, but it is not there...strange?

I went into my router settings, but I could not find anywhere to put "100" re" WAN port. Argh...

KaL </div></div>

Okay - scratch that - found the local area connection, and its showing 100 Mbps.

kalam
05-17-2008, 08:56 PM
Okay - hopefully this means something to you, Hans.

I have two connections showing.

First - Local Area Connection, speed 100 Mbps. Status = connected.
Second - Internet Gateway, speed 10 Mbps status = connected.

From the reading I have been doing with google, it seems like the internet gateway thingy is tied into my router?

Man - I appreciate your help. I am an idiot with this stuff.

KaL

Hans
05-17-2008, 09:03 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Art Vandelay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hey hans, i just noticed my internet is actually showing 10mbps too...i just can't seem to find the setting to change it to 100! any help? (it's a 3com network card) </div></div>

Go to device manager in your control panel, then click on the network devices in the list. Go to the advanced tab of the window that opens next, you should be able to select your preferred speed in that tab. It's different for every network card.

Be aware that changing this setting will initially disconnect you from the internet, as it needs to disconnect you from the network to change the speed.
If it does not come on from itself then you have to change it back to your original setting.

Note : selecting 100 on a network connection that is only capable of 10 will result in no connection to the network!

Hans
05-17-2008, 09:05 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KaLaM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Okay - hopefully this means something to you, Hans.

I have two connections showing.

First - Local Area Connection, speed 100 Mbps. Status = connected.
Second - Internet Gateway, speed 10 Mbps status = connected.

From the reading I have been doing with google, it seems like the internet gateway thingy is tied into my router?

Man - I appreciate your help. I am an idiot with this stuff.

KaL </div></div>

Your internet gateway should be at 100 Mbps also. Looks to me like there's a problem with your internet gateway settings. Try to go into the gateway and see in the manual if it says anything on how to override speed settings of LAN/WAN ports.

Note : gateway = your router

Shawn
05-17-2008, 09:54 PM
Sorry KaLaM, used some of my sneaky tools to check out your cable connection... Your modem looks good, power levels are basically perfect at an RX of 1.1 and TX of 1.2, SNR is good as well. Also no errors being generated, basically a perfect line I would say up to the modem.

I had similar problems when connecting my router up to extreme as well... one thing I had to do as manually set the MTU on the router to 1500, most routers have this set to auto, and thus cause the slow speeds because of the lower MTU.

As for what hans is saying yes sometimes you have to play with the 10/100 half and full duplex, but if things are currently working and your speed is just slow, if it is at 100 full, then you are on the correct setting then, if its set to automatic.

Personally what I would do is plug your computer directly into the modem and see what kind of speed you get. If you speed increases then its a router issue. If your speed stays the same, it might be the modem, or again some sort of issue with the computer, something limiting the speeds... possibly a virus or too much file sharing going on... Make sure you turn off everything before doing a speed test... I was just talking to a customer on the cable out there that was having a similar issue, but it was due to the fact he had something running in the background, as soon as we stopped it his speeds came up.

Hans
05-17-2008, 10:09 PM
I find it odd there are 2 connections listed. Mine only lists 1 connection. I am wondering if they installed a network card as part of the installation procedure, and he somehow has that card plugged in + the onboard network card? That's the only way I know off to end up with 2 network connections...

kalam
05-17-2008, 11:30 PM
Your internet gateway should be at 100 Mbps also. Looks to me like there's a problem with your internet gateway settings. Try to go into the gateway and see in the manual if it says anything on how to override speed settings of LAN/WAN ports.

Note : gateway = your router

I can't find anywhere to do this...if you have a couple of minutes, can you take a look? If not, no worries.

User's Guide, near the bottom (http://trendnet.com/asp/download_manager/list_subcategory.asp?SUBTYPE_ID=954)

KaL

kalam
05-17-2008, 11:41 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shawn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry KaLaM, used some of my sneaky tools to check out your cable connection... Your modem looks good, power levels are basically perfect at an RX of 1.1 and TX of 1.2, SNR is good as well. Also no errors being generated, basically a perfect line I would say up to the modem.

I had similar problems when connecting my router up to extreme as well... one thing I had to do as manually set the MTU on the router to 1500, most routers have this set to auto, and thus cause the slow speeds because of the lower MTU.

As for what hans is saying yes sometimes you have to play with the 10/100 half and full duplex, but if things are currently working and your speed is just slow, if it is at 100 full, then you are on the correct setting then, if its set to automatic.

Personally what I would do is plug your computer directly into the modem and see what kind of speed you get. If you speed increases then its a router issue. If your speed stays the same, it might be the modem, or again some sort of issue with the computer, something limiting the speeds... possibly a virus or too much file sharing going on... Make sure you turn off everything before doing a speed test... I was just talking to a customer on the cable out there that was having a similar issue, but it was due to the fact he had something running in the background, as soon as we stopped it his speeds came up.
</div></div>

Thanks, Shawn - those are some mighty sneaky tools you got there! Its good to know that the connection is good. I disconnected from the router, and I am now up to this:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/272774205.png

This is better, but mind you, I did hit 13000 - 14000 for a while with the router too, so things are improving all over, but certainly not in Hans, realm. I thought for sure I'd be getting even higher than this...

KaL

Shawn
05-18-2008, 11:24 AM
No thats where you should be getting, in that area you are getting the correct speeds. 15317/609kbps is what you should be getting on persona. Like I said in the other thread, Hans is only getting those speeds because of power boost, his actual connection is only 10,000/9XXkbps.

Don't compare apples or oranges... your connection is faster than his, he just gets the first 10MB of data quicker than you, thus giving such high speed tests... if he did a larger file it would take him much longer than you to download...

But if you speed increases a fair amount when you remove your router, set the MTU to 1500 and that should clear up that problem.

H.E. Pennypacker
05-18-2008, 05:56 PM
getting this speed on shaw extreme... can't find way to adjust to 100mbps.. also running wired through a linksys wrt54g wireless router.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/273053678.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

axalon2003
05-18-2008, 09:11 PM
Wow. Do you get that same slow speed without your router, Art?

H.E. Pennypacker
05-18-2008, 09:24 PM
i'll have to try and repost.

H.E. Pennypacker
05-18-2008, 09:27 PM
direct:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/273097861.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

axalon2003
05-18-2008, 09:42 PM
Ouch. Which modem do you have? Did you have better speed before at all that you remember?

H.E. Pennypacker
05-18-2008, 09:43 PM
its a motorola SB5101 DOCSIS2.0..but the thing is, i don't really find the internet that "slow"

axalon2003
05-18-2008, 09:51 PM
You should be getting a LOT more speed if you Shaw Extreme. I get that sort of speed with regular DSL.
That speed is more consisent with the regular Shaw High Speed (5Mbp profile).
If you've shut down all your background programs and are still getting those low speeds, then I think you need to call Shaw and have them check it out.

axalon2003
05-18-2008, 09:55 PM
Are you running it through USB or enthernet?

H.E. Pennypacker
05-18-2008, 09:57 PM
cat 5 ethernet

axalon2003
05-18-2008, 10:00 PM
If you've closed down the background programs, taken the router out of the equation, and are still getting those low speeds, then I think you should give Shaw a call. It looks loke there's an issue that they need to address.

H.E. Pennypacker
05-18-2008, 10:08 PM
yea the only other background program was msn, which i closed down.

kalam
05-19-2008, 10:20 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shawn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No thats where you should be getting, in that area you are getting the correct speeds. 15317/609kbps is what you should be getting on persona. Like I said in the other thread, Hans is only getting those speeds because of power boost, his actual connection is only 10,000/9XXkbps.

Don't compare apples or oranges... your connection is faster than his, he just gets the first 10MB of data quicker than you, thus giving such high speed tests... if he did a larger file it would take him much longer than you to download...

But if you speed increases a fair amount when you remove your router, set the MTU to 1500 and that should clear up that problem. </div></div>

Okay - I feel better about this now. I didn't realize about that "power boost" thingy. I thought I was really dragging!

I can't figure out how to do the MTU setting in my router. Strange.

KaL

Shawn
05-19-2008, 02:36 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KaLaM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shawn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No thats where you should be getting, in that area you are getting the correct speeds. 15317/609kbps is what you should be getting on persona. Like I said in the other thread, Hans is only getting those speeds because of power boost, his actual connection is only 10,000/9XXkbps.

But if you speed increases a fair amount when you remove your router, set the MTU to 1500 and that should clear up that problem. </div></div>

Okay - I feel better about this now. I didn't realize about that "power boost" thingy. I thought I was really dragging!

I can't figure out how to do the MTU setting in my router. Strange.

KaL </div></div>

Usually its on the same page as where it asks you what type of connection you have like dynamic ip, static ip, pppoe... It is usually just below that on most routers.