PDA

View Full Version : Birds

yoda
05-19-2008, 10:05 AM
I have two questions regarding the Baltimore Oriole. I have over the past two weekends noticed an Oriole at my Hummingbird feeder. Are they common in this area? Should I be using a different mixture for them?

bohd
05-20-2008, 12:14 PM
i think that oriole was raised by humming birds!!seriously though i think it is just an odd coincidence....

yoda
05-20-2008, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the reply, but I doubt that the Orioles were raised by the Hummingbirds, the Hummingbirds are vicious when it comes to their food!

EyelashExtensions
05-20-2008, 05:52 PM
There is oriole food you can buy, which is orange. I bought a feeder from walmart which is similar to a hummingbird feeder other than the color they are virtually the same and it came with orange oriole food. Orioles are also attracted to real oranges you can slice them and hang them outside and they will feed from them as well. I don't know much about them other than that.

P.S. I'm jealous because I haven't had one oriole at my feeder yet!! lol

yoda
05-20-2008, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the tip about the oranges, I'll have to try that. I have not noticed orioles at my feeder before, I'm wondering if the cold weather has something to do with them coming to the feeders?

EyelashExtensions
05-21-2008, 03:49 AM
They probably have gone to feeders before somewhere else and came across yours. Oriole feeders are pretty much identical to a hummingbird feeder so maybe they are just mistaken them. Actually I just found some information, they have been known to feed from hummingbird feeders if they can insert their beak into the feeder. They are attracted to the same kind of nectar. If you remove the bee guards they will continue to feed from the hummingbird feeder and the hummingbirds will too.
Put halves of apples, oranges or other fruits out for orioles. Special feeders designed to hold these fruits are available, although I haven't seen them around here yet, but even placing oranges/apples out may attract them. I'm not sure if it would be the cold weather, it could be since its kind of a late spring with chilly weather.