PDA

View Full Version : Teksavvy

PrairieDog43
05-19-2008, 03:23 PM
I've been thinking about Teksavvy for my DSL service. Looking for the "unlimited". I know I have to buy a modem. Teksavvy wants $99 for the Speedtouch 516. I can get it for $68.50 including tax and shipping. I had DSL from Bell and I used the 2Wire modem... no problem with it. Going to buy a DLink N Router.

I was looking for a Zhone modem, but I can't buy one outright.

I'm looking for opinions.

tired-n-cranky
05-19-2008, 04:24 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Andre</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try one of these
2Wire 2700HG-B modem/4 port router/WiFi
http://www.caneris.com/MdmFAQ
$25 + tax and $10 shipping

Mine works great and I've heard of a lot of people quite happy with them as well. Especially if you are on a marginal line. </div></div>

I second this modem.. and Caneris is a great company to deal with. It is a little cheaper than the Speedtouch 516, and with it you don't need a seperate router as it has 802.11G Wireless built in.

As for anything N at all, I would stay away from it for a bit, as the N standard isn't there yet.. and what is out now is Pre-N, and may not be upgradable to the final standard.

PrairieDog43
05-20-2008, 04:37 PM
As far as I can understand the N, the adapter can be upgraded. The one I installed is D-Link Rangebooster N (DWA-542) in my desktop. As far as Routers go, I don't know. The security for the N routers is lacking, so far.

Still looking for a Zhone modem. All the links were taking me to companies that were supplied them in large quantity.

tired-n-cranky
05-20-2008, 05:30 PM
Why would you want a Zhone modem though? In all my years of working with DSL modems, I have used Cisco, 2Wire, Speedtouch, and Netopia. Never even heard of Zhone before.

PrairieDog43
05-20-2008, 06:00 PM
I seen the name in another thread. Thats why I wanted to see the price and how good are they. No doubt, I'll get a Speedtouch 516 tho, since Teksavvy sells them. Just looking at my choices.

403_forbidden
05-28-2008, 11:24 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PrairieDog43</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As far as I can understand the N, the adapter can be upgraded. The one I installed is D-Link Rangebooster N (DWA-542) in my desktop. As far as Routers go, I don't know. The security for the N routers is lacking, so far.

Still looking for a Zhone modem. All the links were taking me to companies that were supplied them in large quantity.
</div></div>

My experience with anything N is that the devices are ABSOLUTE CRAP!!! Trust me, I tried DLink and Linksys so called home flagship model WRT600N with dual band (2.4GHz and 5.8GHz). The range and stability is very poor even in the 5.8GHz band. I ended up going back to my trusted Linksys WRT54GL with DDWRT firmware on it. They (DDWRT) are working on getting support for the WRT600N, but it will take a while. When they do it might be one of the best wireless devices for home use, but for now with the linksys firmware it is crap (as with most of the WRT routers with linksy firmware).

Just get a solid G router and forget about N until a standard is out and they are more stable. If you want more bandwidth to transfer files on your LAN than upgrade to wired GB. Currently N is just too unstable..and it doesn't matter if it is a Linksys or D-Link router.

Shawn
05-29-2008, 06:07 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NeTDaWg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why would you want a Zhone modem though? In all my years of working with DSL modems, I have used Cisco, 2Wire, Speedtouch, and Netopia. Never even heard of Zhone before. </div></div>

Zhone bought Paradyne, hopefully you have heard of them? They have been around for quite a while and their modems are pretty solid. Zhone is all we have been buying now. The Speedtouch were ok, until they changed their firmware in V6. I contacted the Thompson/RCA about some issues in that firmware, took them weeks to get back to me and then never even replied to me when I answered their questions...

Zhone's site is http://www.zhone.com