PDA

View Full Version : EFFEXOR WITHDRAWLS...MODS Please leave

*Angel*
05-19-2008, 05:20 PM
Has anyone ever taken Effexor and been weened off of it? I am going through very bad withdrawals and am wondering if there is anything I can do to help alleviate these awful feelings
I am now off the effexor and on day 2 for the wellbutrin and how i am feeling is not even functional right now

*Angel*
05-19-2008, 05:31 PM
Help...anyone...I will be calling my dr tomorrow and have read alot online about what I am feeling but it would be nice to speak with someone who has gone through this before

terr994
05-19-2008, 05:36 PM
try having a nap or just resting, but if you are that worried about it call the emerg and see what they have to say about the situation.

H.E. Pennypacker
05-19-2008, 05:43 PM
this belongs in the health section.

*Angel*
05-19-2008, 05:44 PM
wow really...thanks for mentioning that...DUH
Hence the fact i asked MODS to leave it here for now means i knew that but wanted more ppl to see it here

*Angel*
05-19-2008, 05:45 PM
Ya i have read alot online about the withdrawls but its jus so hard right now to not feel normal...and i dunno if theres anything i can do to help this

jaydee
05-19-2008, 05:57 PM
effexor was my next option besides paxil and clonazepam

jaydee
05-19-2008, 05:58 PM
try gettin a job when yyoure like that

MaO3
05-19-2008, 06:04 PM
Peanut, I have no experience with what your going through, so I may not be helpful in the least, but I understand that those types of medications take some time to build a level in your system that will help with the symptoms. A switch from one to the other is bound to cause you some discomfort.
Stay at it, the welbutrin will kick in and help, but it might be a little while.
Are you all by yourself right now? Maybe you need someone with you while your going through this?

jaydee
05-19-2008, 06:07 PM
i did that once i was on a dose of 2 pills (40 mg) then just stopped cold turkey with the paxil before

tippikitty
05-19-2008, 06:10 PM
I can't wait til I come off my fentanyl patch. I think my husbands gonna leave me! and I'm not kidding.

jaydee
05-19-2008, 06:12 PM
its not fun trying to find work when youre like that!

MaO3
05-19-2008, 06:13 PM
Moochi this is not a thread about you and your lack of work. This is about a young lady who's going through a rough spot and needs advice.

Please keep your employment status in your own threads, and stay on topic.

jaydee
05-19-2008, 06:15 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MaO3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Moochi this is not a thread about you and your lack of work. This is about a young lady who's going through a rough spot and needs advice.

Please keep your employment status in your own threads, and stay on topic. </div></div>

been there done that ive went thru everything shes going thru now so dont kid yourself....

kodak57
05-19-2008, 06:29 PM
pretty sad when you get depressed getting yourself off anti depressants....all kidding aside is there ever alot of people that cant handle reality,and need some kind or another drug to get by everyday....the mind is a funny thing and only the person to whom it belongs to can change it........."if they want to"

jaydee
05-19-2008, 06:33 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">pretty sad when you get depressed getting yourself off anti depressants....all kidding aside is there ever alot of people that cant handle reality,and need some kind or another drug to get by everyday....the mind is a funny thing and only the person to whom it belongs to can change it........."if they want to" </div></div>

exactly and it starts with going on and gettin the right meds for you and abstaining from alcohol. i will need to take mine for 5 years more and hopefully will help me out when looking for work and keeping a job /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

KRP
05-19-2008, 06:38 PM
Hey moooochi, can you lay off the whole 'looking for work/needing a job' bit already. Just leave it out of threads like this please.

Peanut I'm sorry, I wish I could be of more help but I really don't know anything about it. I hope you are able to get the help you need though.

jaydee
05-19-2008, 06:40 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JKnxdk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey moooochi, can you lay off the whole 'looking for work/needing a job' bit already. Just leave it out of threads like this please.</div></div>

it affects it tho, this is reality

MaO3
05-19-2008, 06:42 PM
Yours not Peanuts!

Please she's looking for advice on how to get through this not to read about your work issues.

jaydee
05-19-2008, 06:43 PM
ok, sorry you feel that way Peanut, i know it myself i been thru that /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif i quit my paxil (40 mg dosage) cold turkey and didnt ween off of it. when i told my doc i did that he was speechless.

dancingqueen
05-19-2008, 06:44 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: **PeanuT**</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone ever taken Effexor and been weened off of it? I am going through very bad withdrawals and am wondering if there is anything I can do to help alleviate these awful feelings
I am now off the effexor and on day 2 for the wellbutrin and how i am feeling is not even functional right now </div></div>

I havent been through this myself either.
Most situations are easier to tackle if you look inside from the outside. When you say you don't feel functional, try looking at what spacificly makes you feel this way, do you feel lathargic? scared? sick? go through the emotions you are feeling and try to work with those feelings, I know it's different than when I feel depressed or just really "blah" but it helps me out alot and I hope it might at least help you get through it.
Try going out with a friend, for a walk or to a show, or out for dinner. I belive friendship and having fun go hand in hand.
I hope this hlps and I hope your medication begins kicking in soon

H.E. Pennypacker
05-19-2008, 06:45 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: **PeanuT**</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wow really...thanks for mentioning that...DUH
Hence the fact i asked MODS to leave it here for now means i knew that but wanted more ppl to see it here </div></div>

take a pill

*Angel*
05-19-2008, 06:47 PM
Its just the awful feelings...I means the shakes...the sweats...feeling tired...the worst is the feelings in your head...its a strange feeling...i was on 200mg and this is brutal...and for the record i am on these meds for my anxiety attacks...and let me tell u my anxiety is through the roof....

jaydee
05-19-2008, 06:51 PM
i always got sweats and felt delirious and delusional

*Angel*
05-19-2008, 06:53 PM
ya its not fun...thanks for everyones input tho...its just helps to know im not alone and this is normal...I just want this to stop tho...

dancingqueen
05-19-2008, 06:55 PM
do you have certain things that trigger your anxiety? My Boyfriend has social anxiety problems without his pills he can't even leave the house, he gets sick to his stomach, shakey and cold sweats. before he was on his pills we would be able to handle it by leaving wherever we are, and go home where he is away from the social thing and he would have some weed. That is his temporary escape, all he needed to take down his anxiety.

bluekrissyspikes
05-19-2008, 07:02 PM
i've been switched aroung medications before. I know how your feeling. it makes it really hard to think straight or to keep up with the things you can normally do. personally, i wouldn't suggest going out because when i was going through a med change i had to go to a cas thing and they thought i was high..lol. It took me a couple weeks to start feeling all normal again. i'd sleep as much as i could if it were me(to make it pass faster), and drink lots of water(to help clean out whats left of the meds). I hope you feel better soon.

Giggle Squirt
05-19-2008, 07:04 PM
ya tons of water... drink like you have never drank before!

jaydee
05-19-2008, 07:30 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Man eater!!!!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ya tons of water... drink like you have never drank before! </div></div>

i tried dat so i dont sweat so much but i find i piss way more and its a nuisance

bluekrissyspikes
05-19-2008, 07:32 PM
ya, but it will help her with the withdrawls by cleaning out the remaining traces of effexor. this might make you feel worse a bit but it will definitely speed the process up.

*Angel*
05-19-2008, 07:33 PM
thanks im willing to try anything right now

jaydee
05-19-2008, 07:37 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dancingqueen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">do you have certain things that trigger your anxiety? </div></div>

people in general, social situations, putting up with BS in order to get a job (work)

Jackie B
05-19-2008, 07:44 PM
I have read about the ""brain zaps" you get when coming off Effexor. It's something my RNP was considering for me for severe PMS, but I didn't have coverage at the time. Since I was going to get a prescription for them anyway, my MIL gave me a bottle that my FIL had but wouldn't take, and I have taken them a couple of times. Nothing consecutive, but I think 2-3 single times. I know I felt like a bubble head, or kind of cloudy the next day, and that was after only one dose.

I know it's very important to wean yourself off SLOWLY. 200mg is a pretty high dosage too, mine are only 37.5 mg. I used to babysit for a lady on Effexor, and she had a really hard time getting off them aswell. Just follow your doctors directions, and do it slowly.

pokey
05-19-2008, 07:45 PM
I took both of these pills and am still taking the Wellbutrin. Were you off of the Effexor for very long before you starting taking the Wellbutrin? What dose did you start with the Wellbutrin? I'm just thinking that if you have been off the Effexor for a bit then you may be having a reaction to starting the Wellbutrin.

When I first started Wellbutrin I got the shakes and had the same feelings you are describing (also felt kinda aggressive). When my Dr. tried to increase my dose I experienced it again. I also take it for anxiety along with Ativan. I don't know if you are prescribed anything similar to Ativan but my Dr. suggested taking it each day (I normally only take it when having an attack) until my body became accustomed to the Wellbutrin. I think within two weeks my body got back to normal and the Wellbutrin really helps.

Hope you feel better soon.

*Angel*
05-19-2008, 07:46 PM
I take ativan too only when i have a panic attack....i was only off the effexor a day before i started on the wellbutrin

Jackie B
05-19-2008, 07:46 PM
Was the weaning over a long period of time? It's supposed to be very gradual, like over months.

jaydee
05-19-2008, 07:49 PM
i guess im just addicted to paxil /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Jackie B
05-19-2008, 07:52 PM
I took Paxil for a month about 10 years ago. I hated it. I felt like a zombie. I had dizzy spells, and I almost felt like a walking "out of body" experience. I decided that it was better to take the downs with the ups, than to not feel anything at all....ever.

Giggle Squirt
05-19-2008, 07:53 PM
I don't have feelings.

pokey
05-19-2008, 07:54 PM
Where you weened off of the Effexor? My Dr. had me down to a low dose and at the same time had me start taking the Wellbutrin. I think they overlapped by about two weeks but its been a while.

Maybe try taking an Ativan to see if it makes you feel better until you can talk to your Dr.

jaydee
05-19-2008, 07:56 PM
my life is literally reliant on these paxil now its almost like where were these paxil my whole life?? now that i think about it, i need them before i attempt anything really

nightingale
05-19-2008, 08:16 PM
quite a lot of info....hopefully helpful

http://www.itmonline.org/arts/ssri.htm

starterwiz
05-19-2008, 08:18 PM
Wellbutrin will set some people off like a rocket. Exactly the opposite affect that's desired.
Don't take any more until after you've seen a doctor.
I tried it once, and it sent me into hyper-space-overdrive-warp-6.

starterwiz
05-19-2008, 08:20 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: moooochi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my life is literally reliant on these paxil now its almost like where were these paxil my whole life?? now that i think about it, i need them before i attempt anything really </div></div>

Don't you have some shirts to press, resumes to write, and hair to cut? Thought you were getting ready for the job fair????

jaydee
05-19-2008, 08:21 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: starterwiz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: moooochi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my life is literally reliant on these paxil now its almost like where were these paxil my whole life?? now that i think about it, i need them before i attempt anything really </div></div>

Don't you have some shirts to press, resumes to write, and hair to cut? Thought you were getting ready for the job fair???? </div></div>

lol why so rough?? i need only print out and revise my resumes downtown on Bay before i go, i dont get that anticipated about it or else ill go crazy

starterwiz
05-19-2008, 08:31 PM
Rough?
Rough???
Rough?????????

You were told how many times to go get your own thread?

I thought I was being very polite!!!!!

Perhaps you require a dose of rude???

jaydee
05-19-2008, 08:33 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: starterwiz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rough?
Rough???
Rough?????????

You were told how many times to go get your own thread?

I thought I was being very polite!!!!!

Perhaps you require a dose of rude??? </div></div>

/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif

*Angel*
05-19-2008, 08:39 PM
thank you

starterwiz
05-19-2008, 08:45 PM
yw

kodak57
05-19-2008, 09:05 PM
why so many people reliant on these drugs?It is your mind.....control it, quite blaming this for that and so on,i realize reality is rough but deal with it,take control!!!!be happy,there is always somebody worse off then you.Maybe somebody should come up with a drug that will so people driving drunk,or stopping at Conmee and Carmans way.Drugs are for people that cant handle reality.Sorry if i dont sound sympathetic,but im not ive seen what these mood drugs did to a good friend of mine.He got over his depression by being with people and talking with friends,it took a while but what a difference now.

*Angel*
05-19-2008, 09:15 PM
TO each there own i guess...Its good to know tho that some ppl lead perfect lives and dont need medication....and just for the record start reading medical studies and journals over the past 20 years and then tell me people dont need medication sometimes

everywoman
05-19-2008, 09:26 PM
Peanut, you have a PM.

Chaotic Chick
05-19-2008, 09:27 PM
I sent you a PM as well, Peanut.

*Angel*
05-19-2008, 09:43 PM
Thanks

ohgrfan
05-19-2008, 09:45 PM
Peanut, I feel so close to you right now. I've just changed from celexa to zoloft and I feel like I'm losing my mind. I'm on it for anxiety. So in the mean time, I'm just drinking wine and having lorazepam every now and then LOL. Ativan helps a LOT!

*Angel*
05-19-2008, 10:01 PM
im just scared to take ativan with the wellbutrin while going through these withdrawals..so i am going to wait and call my dr tomorrow before taking more medication

bluekrissyspikes
05-19-2008, 10:03 PM
good idea peanut. also peoples, be careful with adivan..its very addictive.

*Angel*
05-19-2008, 10:04 PM
Im going to bed Now...Thank you for the advice from everyone...
I guess I will see what tomorrow brings now

b&aMom
05-19-2008, 10:06 PM
Peanut, I hope you're doing ok. I have Panic Disorder, and have gone through a period where they tried Paxil (made me psychotic almost right away, thank goodness my body was heavily doped with Xanax at the time), Effexor CR (made me need to sleep every half hour...not too good), and the third time was the charm...Buspar. I've been taking it daily for about 6 or 7 years now, and it still does well. I have breakthrough attacks, but since I know the signs, I pop 0.25 mg of good old lorazepam, and I'm good for at least 24 hours.

As for dealing with reality, whoever said that, do you know that this is caused by an insufficient GABA uptake in the brain? Recent PET scan research shows that, male or female, people with PD have an across the board deficiency of about 11%. It has nothing to do with dealing with reality, it has to do with a sudden inability to breathe properly, and a racing heart rate, often more than double your resting rate, when you are still resting. Even when I could control it for years and years by thinking my way through it, the more attacks you have, the more you will have, like your brain following a well-worn path. Hormones, anecdotally, make it worse.

Hang in there Peanut, we're with you.

The Chronic Liar
05-19-2008, 10:12 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.He got over his depression by being with people and talking with friends,it took a while but what a difference now. </div></div>

i can draw...my friend can't. I like cauliflower...my friend doesn't. I won a spelling bee in grade 4... my friend didnt. I wasn't valedictorian...my friend was. I don't need glasses...my friend does.

I just had an epiphany.. People are different. Whoa another... you are not a doctor. Whoa one more... i have epiphanys...you don't.

Chaotic Chick
05-19-2008, 10:26 PM
Gee, I wish I "got over" depression and anxiety as well as some people. *rolling my eyes* I took medication for a few years (and have been off medication for over 2 years now). I still get anxiety, and depression and anxiety are caused by a chemical imbalance. I didn't know that just talking to people cured a chemical imbalance. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif Some people need medication for a short period of time, some for a few years (like I did) and some for most of their lives. Actual depression and "the blues" or feeling sad are entirely different.

Linaluv07
05-19-2008, 10:43 PM
Hang in there, it's not an easy thing to go through. Effexor will take time to disipate from your system. Talk to your Dr about the Wellbutrin. From personal experience, I had a bad reaction to it so he added another med to help balance everything out. Most people here sound very supportive of you. Try to keep your chin up /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

b&aMom
05-20-2008, 06:09 AM
Yeah, doncha' just love these people who say "get over it", and they have no clue this is not a mental, situational thing, but biological? That's akin to telling a diabetic to just get over it, you don't need insulin, or telling an epileptic you don't need your anti-seizure meds. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Problem is, to the general public, this is a "mental" illness. That is a deceptive label as the medical community is learning how most mental illness is biological, just some of the symptoms (the ones they can really see) are "mental". Examples: Panic Disorder seems associated with migraines, disturbed circadian rhythm (ie. Night Owls), motion sickness, and schizophrenia, in addition to many other things. Personally, I suffered with migraines, and when they stopped in young adulthood, the anxiety attacks started. I also am a night owl. I have some triggers that would be akin to epileptic triggers...mostly involving stripes (including light/shadow, like driving down the highway, and the trees are casting shadows on the road), and that damned yellow pedestrian strip in front of Walmart. I was car sick as a kid, and after the PD reared it's head in earnest, I had great difficulty travelling as a passenger on the highway. City seems ok, since it's start/stop.

Point is, this isn't because your parents beat you as a child, or didn't buy you Christmas presents. This is biological, and no amount of talking, to either a psychologist or friends will rewire your brain. Thank god for medication. A hundred years ago, I just would have been that crazy lady who never comes out of her house, or that crazy lady who jumped off the bridge. Today I'm fortunate enough to have suitable meds and be a functioning member of society. Not all are so lucky to easily find suitable meds, or be able to afford them.

kitca
05-20-2008, 07:42 PM
i have been on effxor for yearrs. it is the only thing that finially worked for me, thank god! however, if i am a couple hours late for my dose i get really aweful withdrawl symptoms. i feel so sick and horrible. when i switched from paxil to effxor i had to wean off. i lay in my bed and had to stare at th ceiling to keep the world from spinning, i cried and cried. so, i feel for you and what you are going through. i hope it is over quickly for you. make sure to talk to someone if you are getting alot of bad negitive thoughts.

maybe they have come up with some kind of withdrawl helper by now, that sure would be nice!

Sophie's_Mommy
05-21-2008, 12:15 PM
a friend of mine was on effexor and when she came off them no one wanted to be anywhere near her, she had black out spells, became very angry and aggressive without even knowing, shakes all the times, hot cold sweats, it was horrible.
I wish u all the best and good luck. It takes a while for u to feel normal, it took her over a month

H.E. Pennypacker
05-21-2008, 05:45 PM
glad this topic got moved..every time i saw it i felt depressed

HDV
05-21-2008, 06:20 PM
lol

*Angel*
05-21-2008, 07:13 PM
i feel a bit better but now its the sweats...cold and hot...its brutal...my dr is on holidays so i havent been able to get any help with this

kitca
05-22-2008, 06:00 PM
actually, effxor made me very sweaty all the time, it was an unavoidable side effect when i was on a higher dose. now im on a lower dose of effxor and then i take welbutrin also. itsseems to be working. thank god!

DeleteAccout
05-22-2008, 11:57 PM
I was effexor for a while, then went to welbutrin. I had slight mood swings ... bt only in the anger area. I've always had a bad temper, but I can usually control it. When I went off Effexor ... I lost all control over it. Smallest things made me snap. If I broke a pencil lead, I'd snap the pencil, and throw a fit. That lasted a little while. I cant give you an exact tie frame though. With the welbutrin, it got better ... but eventually I took myself off all meds, and decided to take the natural route.

Everyone copes with withdrawls differently. Some take it harder than others. All I can offer you in terms of support is by saying, withdrawls, no matter how painful they can be, end over time. You'll be tip top in no time at all /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

jaydee
05-23-2008, 01:47 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: **PeanuT**</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i feel a bit better but now its the sweats...cold and hot...its brutal...my dr is on holidays so i havent been able to get any help with this </div></div>

i also sweat lots cause i eat lots of meat or dont drink enough water and dont put enough deodorant on, but my paxil is good for me

b&aMom
05-23-2008, 12:19 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: **PeanuT**</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i feel a bit better but now its the sweats...cold and hot...its brutal...my dr is on holidays so i havent been able to get any help with this </div></div>

How you doing today, Peanut? Sucks that your doc is on holidays. Are you able to make sure your brain is at peak perfomance? Getting rest, exercise, good nutrition? Every little bit helps. Especially thinking positively. Don't let the physical get the better of the mental. I know that sounds weird coming from someone with panic disorder. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

jaydee
05-25-2008, 02:20 AM
/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cry.gif i want my beers again /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cry.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cry.gif i miss the beer

Chaotic Chick
05-25-2008, 03:50 AM
WTH does that have to do with her withdrawals?

Anyway, I wanted to say I hope things are getting better, Peanut.

Giggle Squirt
05-25-2008, 09:26 PM
how are things going? did you get ahold of your doctor?