PDA

View Full Version : Enforcing Uniforms in all schools!

aussie_angel24
05-28-2008, 09:38 AM
Does anyone know about all the school's enforcing a uniform??? I heard about it but I am unsure of any details...

J*B
05-28-2008, 09:41 AM
I can't see it..

SusyQ
05-28-2008, 09:45 AM
I hope so than kids won't be so competitive in whose wearing what and she has this brand name why don't I. I think its a great idea. These days school seems more like a fashion show than anything else.

aussie_angel24
05-28-2008, 09:46 AM
Yes I agree very much with you SusyQ!!! I think a petition should be layed out for the school boards if they do not do anything about it!

Chaotic Chick
05-28-2008, 09:52 AM
I agree, Susy! I have 3 daughters who "need" these brand name clothes for school. Even my son is getting bad for being picky about his clothes and he is only 9! My 12 year old takes 2 hours to find something to wear every morning and it is ridiculous. With uniforms, it would stop the 2 hours getting ready in the morning. I wore a uniform for a few years because I went to private school and there was never an issue of "what should I wear today?" until I started going to public school.

But, like JB said I can't see it happening. My oldest daughter is in grade 12 and this has come up many times over the years she has been in school but it never happens. At one school my kids went to, there was an issue because parents were up in arms about the cost of uniforms, etc. *sigh*

MaO3
05-28-2008, 09:54 AM
They tried that last year at White Pines. Didn't fly

Simba
05-28-2008, 09:58 AM
My son goes to St. Basil and at first I thought it was stupid that they had to wear uniforms. Now that he is in grade 10 I have to admit that it has been so much easier with the uniform thing. It saves LOTS of time in the morning too!

SusyQ
05-28-2008, 10:00 AM
They have dress codes and if violated they have a consequence that could all be avoided by uniforms.

The Chronic Liar
05-28-2008, 10:18 AM
When i see schools with uniform I think of cults where nobody can express themselves and show that they are unique. All I see is lineups and kids being told what to do and how to do it. Then I keep on walking and don't really give it a second thought

SusyQ
05-28-2008, 10:20 AM
They have time too express themselves after school not during. Hi R B /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wavey.gif

The Chronic Liar
05-28-2008, 10:21 AM
We don't need no education
We don't need no thought control
No dark sarcasm in the classroom
Teachers leave them kids alone
Hey! Teachers! Leave them kids alone!
All in all it's just another brick in the wall.
All in all you're just another brick in the wall.
Hey! Teachers! Leave those kids alone!

"Wrong, Do it again!"
"If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any pudding. How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?"
"You! Yes, you behind the bikesheds, stand still laddy!"

Chaotic Chick
05-28-2008, 10:21 AM
Kids who want to wear the same thing as "everybody else" are not expressing themselves anyway. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

The Chronic Liar
05-28-2008, 10:22 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SusyQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They have time too express themselves after school not during. Hi R B /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wavey.gif </div></div>

/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wavey.gif and where have you been?

The Chronic Liar
05-28-2008, 10:23 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chaotic Chick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kids who want to wear the same thing as "everybody else" are not expressing themselves anyway. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif </div></div>

Fine I will give a little leniency on the uniform idea...but if they are all forced to get mushroom cuts, I will severely fight this issue.

SusyQ
05-28-2008, 10:24 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R B</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SusyQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They have time too express themselves after school not during. Hi R B /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wavey.gif </div></div>

/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wavey.gif and where have you been? </div></div>

Oh here and there /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

SusyQ
05-28-2008, 10:25 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R B</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chaotic Chick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kids who want to wear the same thing as "everybody else" are not expressing themselves anyway. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif </div></div>

Fine I will give a little leniency on the uniform idea...but if they are all forced to get mushroom cuts, I will severely fight this issue. </div></div>

mushroom cuts /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif YEEEEYUCK!

Chaotic Chick
05-28-2008, 10:28 AM
Uh, mushroom cuts is a little extreme! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sick.gif

My girls all dress like their friends. My two oldest have their noses pierced - like their friends. I swear, I can hardly tell my own kids from their friends sometimes. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif

SusyQ
05-28-2008, 10:30 AM
My old school kilt still fits me anyone want too play school girl with me? Just kidding /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif

MaO3
05-28-2008, 10:33 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SusyQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My old school kilt still fits me anyone want too play school girl with me? Just kidding /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif </div></div>

Oh Susy! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Punkydo
05-28-2008, 10:34 AM
sorry I have to disagree with the uniform thing I do not want my step daughter walking to school in a Brittany Spears look a like uniform. I think children should be able to express themselves and if they want to wear the expensive stuff do the same thing my sister and I did -find a job

The Chronic Liar
05-28-2008, 10:34 AM
I still have my old mcdonalds uniform. Anyone want a quarter pounder.

SusyQ
05-28-2008, 10:37 AM
/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/high5.gif good one!

bluekrissyspikes
05-28-2008, 11:27 AM
i think it's a bad idea. there will be a lot of rebellion against it in the schools. i doubt it will ever work. if you want your kids to wear a uniform send them to private school

Barry Morris
05-28-2008, 11:43 AM
I've always though that the Sault has some of the toughest women in Canada. Those Grade 12 girls walking to school in -30 degree weather wearing the uniform skirt they got in Grade 9 is the proof.

Onlygodknowswhy
05-28-2008, 01:00 PM
The cost of a few uniforms is cheaper than all the high end clothing you have to buy......and keep replacing because something new comes out every 3mths when the season changes...shouldnt be a problem, basils and marys do it without problems...well i dont think anyway lol

Super Gram
05-28-2008, 02:22 PM
Does Eastview not have uniforms?.....I wouldn't call it that....

Kittie
05-28-2008, 02:37 PM
They tried it at Pines like Ma said..
LOL Didn't work.

But, I disagree with prices. I mean, I can get a pair of pants at Zellers for 15 bucks. The price for uniform pants = 40$
And I don't conform to the teenage society of Abercrombie or Hollister.. Sorry! I'm not paying 40+ dollars for a pair of jeans.. or tshirts.

LOL!

Intangible
05-28-2008, 03:06 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: *Super Gram*</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does Eastview not have uniforms?.....I wouldn't call it that.... </div></div>

I think Eastview only has uniform tops. They can wear their own pants.

HBomb
05-28-2008, 04:32 PM
It will cost more if they do make uniforms mandatory. What are the kids going to wear after school? Their uniforms? Nope. You'll still have to buy the "name brand" clothes at the "expensive price" because kids will need clothes to wear after school and on weekends. So the cost will be more because you'll need to buy the uniforms for school and you'll need to buy the regular clothes for out of school.

dumdum
05-28-2008, 04:34 PM
Uniforms are just another way for them to make more money.. how much does that material really cost??? if im not mistaken.. back when i was in highschool.. kids at basils and st. mary's had to pay like 100-120 bux for a uniform.. WTF gives with that.. go to value village.. get a dress shirt and pants for 8 bux.. lmao... cant imagine the school board goin thru with a petition like that! Good luck to whomever starts that crap up..

Lollypop
05-28-2008, 05:04 PM
Both of my kids went to Catholic H.S.'s, the first year I spent around $300 for uniforms. Each year afterwards I spent around $100, not everything has to be replaced every year. You can also find used ones quite cheap.
I actually like the idea of uniforms!

Macs II
05-28-2008, 05:09 PM
Uniforms in schools? .....how Russian ...they all look like identical little robots. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif

Karen-Annie
05-28-2008, 05:12 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HBomb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It will cost more if they do make uniforms mandatory. What are the kids going to wear after school? Their uniforms? Nope. You'll still have to buy the "name brand" clothes at the "expensive price" because kids will need clothes to wear after school and on weekends. So the cost will be more because you'll need to buy the uniforms for school and you'll need to buy the regular clothes for out of school. </div></div>

It's the parents' fault if they fork over to buy those expensive "brand" name clothing for their kids. The word to use is "NO." I told mine that I wasn't paying more for their clothes than I paid for my own. School is supposed to be a place to LEARN not a fashion runway.

There are many jurisdictions that already have all their school using some form of uniform and more all the time.

sadielou
05-28-2008, 05:19 PM
I'm in favour of uniforms in schools. It doesn't have to be what we see in our catholic schools but could be something polo shirts and black tops. I went to the Mount and loved that I didn't have to stress about what I was going to wear. JMO

Suze
05-28-2008, 05:32 PM
Um yeah - have the parents ever heard of using the word NO when asked to buy all these expensive clothes that they supposedly can't afford?

NoName
05-28-2008, 05:46 PM
I would rather see parents teach their children that there are more important things in life than wearing brand name clothing. Not every teenager/preteen is obsessed with wearing brand name clothing, and not every parent buys them that clothing, even if all their friends are wearing it.

Simba
05-28-2008, 05:55 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Karen-annie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HBomb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It will cost more if they do make uniforms mandatory. What are the kids going to wear after school? Their uniforms? Nope. You'll still have to buy the "name brand" clothes at the "expensive price" because kids will need clothes to wear after school and on weekends. So the cost will be more because you'll need to buy the uniforms for school and you'll need to buy the regular clothes for out of school. </div></div>

It's the parents' fault if they fork over to buy those expensive "brand" name clothing for their kids. The word to use is "NO." I told mine that I wasn't paying more for their clothes than I paid for my own. School is supposed to be a place to LEARN not a fashion runway.

There are many jurisdictions that already have all their school using some form of uniform and more all the time. </div></div>

Well said KA!!!!

GoldDogs
05-28-2008, 07:01 PM
Uniforms are so much different and there are many different styles of shirts to choose from. The only thing they have to get settled is the pants. Some pants don't look good on some people while they look great on someone else. Girls and boys need different pants.

I want my kids to go to a Catholic School just because there is the uniform, because I know I won't be able to afford name brand clothing for them. I don't want them spending they're hard earned money on expensive clothing that usually falls apart or is suddenly 'not cool' so quickly.

Uniforms help with laundry too, you can wear the same thing twice without everyone pointing it out because - who can tell? With fashion tops God forbid you wear it twice in the same week.

Macs II
05-28-2008, 07:05 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want my kids to go to a Catholic School just because there is the uniform, because I know I won't be able to afford name brand clothing for them. </div></div>

now that is some great reasoning for putting kids to Catholic school. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

NoName
05-28-2008, 07:45 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Yorkie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some pants don't look good on some people while they look great on someone else. Girls and boys need different pants.</div></div>

Wouldn't this be an argument against uniforms? You are right about girls/boys needing different pants depending on their body type. If they were to issue standard size uniforms, some people wouldn't be able to fit into them, and would likely have to get them customized (more $$$). This also applies to shirts.

Super Gram
05-28-2008, 08:10 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Macs</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want my kids to go to a Catholic School just because there is the uniform, because I know I won't be able to afford name brand clothing for them. </div></div>

now that is some great reasoning for putting kids to Catholic school. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif </div></div>

I agree with Macs

Stingray
05-28-2008, 08:12 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoName</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Yorkie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some pants don't look good on some people while they look great on someone else. Girls and boys need different pants.</div></div>

Wouldn't this be an argument against uniforms? You are right about girls/boys needing different pants depending on their body type. If they were to issue standard size uniforms, some people wouldn't be able to fit into them, and would likely have to get them customized (more $$$). This also applies to shirts. </div></div>

That's why they come in different sizes, so you don't have to get them tailored or customized. Besides, it's up to the parents not to overfeed their kids. Overfeeding children can also be a form of child abuse some may suggest.

Is overfeeding a form of child abuse? (http://www.parentdish.com/2007/06/18/is-overfeeding-kids-child-abuse/)

snowwolf1972
05-28-2008, 08:18 PM
I know that Eastview school has uniforms and this year William Merifield sent home a survey for the parents and the kids to fill out after it was all tallied up it was about equal from both sides that there will be no uniforms at William Merifield to me i wouldn't mind it would save a lot of money on school stuff in the long run and you don't have kids getting picked on for what they are wearing

NoName
05-28-2008, 08:22 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stingray</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoName</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Yorkie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some pants don't look good on some people while they look great on someone else. Girls and boys need different pants.</div></div>

Wouldn't this be an argument against uniforms? You are right about girls/boys needing different pants depending on their body type. If they were to issue standard size uniforms, some people wouldn't be able to fit into them, and would likely have to get them customized (more $$$). This also applies to shirts. </div></div>

That's why they come in different sizes, so you don't have to get them tailored or customized. Besides, it's up to the parents not to overfeed their kids. Overfeeding children can also be a form of child abuse some may suggest.

Is overfeeding a form of child abuse? (http://www.parentdish.com/2007/06/18/is-overfeeding-kids-child-abuse/) </div></div>

It would be nice if parents stopped overfeeding their kids, or better yet, make them exercise more, but somehow I don't think schools would implement that. I can only imagine the outrage of today's parents.

Stingray
05-28-2008, 08:25 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoName</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stingray</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoName</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Yorkie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some pants don't look good on some people while they look great on someone else. Girls and boys need different pants.</div></div>

Is overfeeding a form of child abuse? (http://www.parentdish.com/2007/06/18/is-overfeeding-kids-child-abuse/) </div></div>

It would be nice if parents stopped overfeeding their kids, or better yet, make them exercise more, but somehow I don't think schools would implement that. I can only imagine the outrage of today's parents. </div></div>Implement what? There's a couple of topics in quotes here. If it's uniforms, at least kids wouldn't be picked on for not wearing name brand and uniforms do come in all sizes. If it's obesity, that's totally up to the parents to look after their children properly.

NoName
05-28-2008, 08:41 PM
I meant obesity, implementing uniforms would be easy enough, whether people are for or against. I don't know if it would stop the bullying though, I have a feeling bullies would just find something else to harass other kids about.

GoldDogs
05-28-2008, 08:44 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: *Super Gram*</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Macs</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want my kids to go to a Catholic School just because there is the uniform, because I know I won't be able to afford name brand clothing for them. </div></div>

now that is some great reasoning for putting kids to Catholic school. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif </div></div>

I agree with Macs</div></div>

I want the uniform, public schools don't have them. So, I guess I agree with Macs too now don't I. Hmph.

Macs II
05-28-2008, 08:47 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Yorkie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: *Super Gram*</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Macs</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want my kids to go to a Catholic School just because there is the uniform, because I know I won't be able to afford name brand clothing for them. </div></div>

I agree with Macs</div></div>

I want the uniform, public schools don't have them. So, I guess I agree with Macs too now don't I. Hmph. </div></div>

you missed the point .....you don't put kids to Catholic school because they have uniforms...thats not what it's all about

crazymamma
05-28-2008, 09:21 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We don't need no education
Hey! Teachers! Leave them kids alone!
All in all it's just another brick in the wall.
Hey! Teachers! Leave those kids alone!

"Wrong, Do it again!"
"If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any pudding. How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?"
"You! Yes, you behind the bikesheds, stand still laddy!" </div></div>

LMAO!!!!

Stingray
05-28-2008, 09:34 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Punkydo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think children should be able to express themselves and if they want to wear the expensive stuff do the same thing my sister and I did -find a job </div></div>now that's setting great examples and morals for your kids. NOT!!!!

bluekrissyspikes
05-28-2008, 09:57 PM
i don't want my kids to have to wear some dorky uniforms. you can find stylish clothes without paying a fortune for them. you just have to look around a bit more.

Floyd
05-29-2008, 01:30 AM
WELL...they aren't dorky uniforms....Unfortunately the word "uniform" sounds bad. High school students at St. Mary's and St. Basil's wear uniforms. Believe it or not, most of those kids are going to those schools because they want to...not because the parents are making them go. They know they have to wear certain clothing and that's it. If a kid is so rebellious that he/she doesn't want to wear a uniform, I seriously doubt that the parents would force them to go to SMC or SBSS. If they enforce a uniform code in all schools.....kids will just have to abide by it.....What else are they going to do....all drop out???
HOWEVER.....uniform shirts in elementary schools is not necessarily a good idea. It's been tried at a couple of schools and the results aren't that good. Little kids are pretty sloppy and they get dirty a lot faster than high school kids. Parents tend to be tired of cleaning shirts night after night. Besides that....elementary kids are constantly growing.....and OUTGROWING their uniform shirts faster than the high school kids. Basically, it's a pain in the arse for elementary school kids and their parents!

Floyd
05-29-2008, 01:31 AM
Who wants to be stylish? Your kids......OR YOU!

bluekrissyspikes
05-29-2008, 09:41 AM
me of course. they aren't old enough to worry about what's stylish yet. sooo....lets all dress the same and talk the same as everyone else.

aussie_angel24
05-29-2008, 11:01 AM
No wonder so many kids grow up wanting name brands...:P

dancingqueen
05-29-2008, 01:26 PM
OMG... people that want uniforms to save on clothing???? that is the funniest thing I have ever heard!!! What do you think they will do after school?? stay in their uniforms??? no, they will wear those expensive name brand clothing you buy them anyways because you lackthe testicular fortitude to say "no, get a job and buy your own expensive clothes." dressing in your own clothes is a way of expresing yourself, yes school is for learning, that includes socializing as well. I don't think any schools should have uniforms. If you stress over what to wear, then you need to see someone about that, you should not "stress" over what to wear.
As fa as sending kids to catholic schools for the reason that they have uniforms???? I hope to god you are kidding. If your kids don't like the clothes you get them, then you need to grow a set. Uniforms will not save you from spoliling your children or from having no spine

The Chronic Liar
05-29-2008, 01:29 PM
I nominate dancingqueen for the award for best use of the words testicular fortitude.

dancingqueen
05-29-2008, 01:34 PM
*bows*

Chaotic Chick
05-29-2008, 01:39 PM
I don't care about saving money on clothes. I have to clothe my kids regardless. I am not aware of a particular law, but I am pretty sure my kids would be apprehended if they were running around naked after school.

I just think that teens (girls especially and I am not being sexist, I have 3 daughters and I am certain I was one once) are WAY too worried about the way they look. I hate having to reiterate to my kids every morning that tardiness is not a good trait. Even if I went to work one day out of 30 shifts, I wouldn't be late for that one shift. I also wouldn't be employed anymore but that's another story. I also wouldn't be late for work because I "had nothing to wear".

I buy my kids clothes. They have lots. Ask my 12 year old though and you would think she was "starving" or something. I wonder what the hell happened to all the clothes I bought her a few weeks ago? /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif Cat ate them?

MaO3
05-29-2008, 01:49 PM
To a certain degree I think that uniforms are a good thing in the highschool system. I think that it does cut down on the extremes that you see. I mean holy crap have you seen what some of these kids wear to school.

I think it would make the "dress code" much easier to enforce.

I personally don't think it would save any money in the least, but it might save some discussions between parents and teenages regarding styles ect.

dancingqueen
05-29-2008, 02:22 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MaO3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I mean holy crap have you seen what some of these kids wear to school. </div></div>
aside from the girls wearing [censored]-wear, I don't think it is any concern of any parens what these kids wear. They are in a part of their life where they need to find out where they fit in. styles of clothes help to identify this for them.
If you are arguing for or against uniforms, it should be for the kids. This should not be about you, the parent.

MaO3
05-29-2008, 02:25 PM
It is about the kids, its about little girls going to school looking like [censored]! Its about boys wearing pants so big that thier underwear is showing, and thier crotch is darn near dragging on the ground. Now thats really safe in a "shop" situation.

Oh yeah, I am a parent and I have always had say in what my sons wore to school. - because I'm thier mother it is MY concern

dancingqueen
05-29-2008, 02:27 PM
so, pull up your pants, or you can't take part. dress appropriatly, there are dress codes for these reasons without taking away a childs identity.

MaO3
05-29-2008, 02:28 PM
In my opinion what they wear is NOT thier identity. Its only how they want to be perceived.

dancingqueen
05-29-2008, 02:29 PM
which is part of their identity

MaO3
05-29-2008, 02:35 PM
Clothes don't make the person the person makes the clothes.

dancingqueen
05-29-2008, 02:36 PM
I know that people manufacture clothing Ma, but the clothes one weares is a means by which they identify themselves with and are identified by others with. Period, it is a fact.

Lollypop
05-29-2008, 02:40 PM
Have you seen the way some of the kids alter their uniforms?
Their personalities are in no way infringed on by wearing a school uniform.

dancingqueen
05-29-2008, 02:55 PM
what do you mean "alter them"? like turn them inside out or something????

X-Man
05-29-2008, 05:50 PM
Uniforms are a joke....they do nothing anyways....this whole discussion must be over a catholic school which enforces that crap....Its a catholic school..what else do you guys want....get your children out as fast as you can...they are being brainwashed and just so you know...uniforms dont help to solidify student body's...they mask individuality

they are making sheeple...not people

Shawn
05-29-2008, 11:01 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When i see schools with uniform I think of cults where nobody can express themselves and show that they are unique. All I see is lineups and kids being told what to do and how to do it. Then I keep on walking and don't really give it a second thought </div></div>

Sounds like prison... not like its bad enough the windows already have bars on them, police stroll the halls, cameras are up... Sounds like prison to me... why not give them uniforms we can have a whole new generation of messed up people with physiological problems...

jaydee
05-29-2008, 11:04 PM
clothes makea person? its you personality? uniforms are good cause they keep you on your best and its like everyone else, theres good things and bad things about each

but they do say dressing nicely gives one more ego boost for jobs and stuff so it would probably work in a school environment you might take it more seriously and learn better?? and not slack off in your jeans?

The Chronic Liar
05-29-2008, 11:08 PM
What exactly is the purpose of uniforms? If the words saving money is used I will slap you.

jaydee
05-29-2008, 11:10 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What exactly is the purpose of uniforms? If the words saving money is used I will slap you. </div></div>

ACKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK KKKKKKKKK

Intangible
05-30-2008, 07:56 AM
In the public school system, the decision has to made by individual school councils and a vote by students and parents. I believe they have to have 80% in favour as well.

I am pretty sure that the public school board cannot make a unilateral decision to enforce uniforms in all schools.

MaO3
05-30-2008, 08:10 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dancingqueen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know that people manufacture clothing Ma, but the clothes one weares is a means by which they identify themselves with and are identified by others with. Period, it is a fact. </div></div>

I don't think you understood my post. What I said is that clothing doesn't make you who you are, you make you who you are.

Wearing club-wear (so I don't get sensored) doesn't make a girl easy! It only makes her look like she is. Wearing baggy jeans and hoodies with the hoods up doesn't make you a ganster - only makes him look like he's trying to be.

How a person wears thier clothes doesnt' make them anything, its only the perception. Who people really are isn't decernable by what they are wearing.

Get what I'm saying ?

dancingqueen
05-30-2008, 08:35 AM
but it helps them identify with who they want to be. Clothing is a media of expression. Like it or not, this is how it is Ma.

Barry Morris
05-30-2008, 08:38 AM
Uniforms don't save money. You'll find a lot of girls changing right ay their lockers before and after school into something they like better.

MaO3
05-30-2008, 08:44 AM
As a parent of three teenagers two of which have now graduated from highschool and the third will in less than a month.

I've kinda been there!

Personal expression or not, kids need to dress in clean clothes that fit. My sons never left the house looking like bumm's or gansters. If I could pull thier jeans down while they were done up then they didn't leave the house in them. I bought the clothes and kept the roof over thier heads, oh yeah and fed them so I made the rules.

I thank god that I didn't have a girl, cause I'm sure she would have hated my guts!

Simba
05-30-2008, 08:52 AM
LOL! I agree Ma. I'm glad I don't have daughters either.

Chaotic Chick
05-30-2008, 09:04 AM
I am lucky because my girls never tried to wear anything sleazy or inappropriate that I can remember. I have to say that I get tired of seeing them in jeans and t-shirts though! My 12 year old wears dress pants and things but the two oldest have about ten pairs each of the same jeans (they look the same as far as I am concerned) and a million hoodies. Better than dressing like a tramp, that is for sure. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I see the way some girls dress and think, "If I was her mother..." /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif

dancingqueen
05-30-2008, 11:51 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MaO3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As a parent of three teenagers two of which have now graduated from highschool and the third will in less than a month.

I've kinda been there!

Personal expression or not, kids need to dress in clean clothes that fit. My sons never left the house looking like bumm's or gansters. If I could pull thier jeans down while they were done up then they didn't leave the house in them. I bought the clothes and kept the roof over thier heads, oh yeah and fed them so I made the rules.

I thank god that I didn't have a girl, cause I'm sure she would have hated my guts!
</div></div>

Ma, you didn't have to play the "I'm a parent" card on this... I am not disagreeing with what you have done, and wether you make the rules or not. I am simply trying to explain that clothes are a means that they express themselves through and IMO (I am aloud to have an opinion right? I mean I don't have kids but I can still have and express one right?) taking this away and replacing with uniforms is inhibiting one of their ways of expressing themselves, it costs more and really has no benifit. I was a kid, so <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've kinda been there!</div></div> as well

bluekrissyspikes
05-30-2008, 11:55 AM
i agree. teens use the way they dress to know where they fit in.

MaO3
05-30-2008, 02:57 PM
I don't agree. I think that kids can express themselves in all kinds of ways without dressing like trollups or bums.

I still say clothes are only clothes.

Simba
05-30-2008, 04:31 PM
I agree Ma...By letting a kid believe that they are "expressing themselves" through clothing, it will lead them to believe that outside appearances are the only thing that matters. That is what is wrong with society today.

Dancingqueen, with all due respect, I don't thing Ma03 was trying to play the "parent card" as you put it. When you have children you obviously have experience in things especially 3 boys as I do. I don't care how many books you read on child rearing, you never ever know enough until you have your own.

Hans
05-30-2008, 04:36 PM
What's wrong with society is trying to enforce clothing rules.

Simba
05-30-2008, 04:37 PM
There is nothing wrong with enforcing respectable clothing. It's about time.

Hans
05-30-2008, 04:39 PM
What is respectable to you might be not respectable to someone else.

LIKETOWIN
05-30-2008, 06:36 PM
everyone thinks its better but look at the price of the clothing at st. basils and the kids want at least 2 of everything 500 dollars at least. and thats not all of the clothes.

dancingqueen
05-31-2008, 01:47 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Simba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is nothing wrong with enforcing respectable clothing. It's about time. </div></div>

maybe not in the 1950s' but, times have changed.
Again, this is about the kids, not about you trying to control every aspect of your kids

dancingqueen
05-31-2008, 01:50 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Simba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dancingqueen, with all due respect, I don't thing Ma03 was trying to play the "parent card" as you put it. When you have children you obviously have experience in things especially 3 boys as I do. I don't care how many books you read on child rearing, you never ever know enough until you have your own. </div></div>

yes she was.
The discussion we where having was about kids method of expression, just cause you have kids does not mean you understand them. It is when you are a kid you can better understand them. and not to offend, but I belive me and my ideas of being a kid are more relevant to kids of this generation than the older parents. None of what I said was learned from a book.

jaydee
05-31-2008, 02:42 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MaO3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[quote=dancingqueen]What I said is that clothing doesn't make you who you are, you make you who you are.

</div></div>

this is true you could spend all top dollar on designer clothes and its still YOU'RE SKIN UNDERNEATH that doesnt chane.. if people wanna make a statement from their clothes, they better heck be going for a model job or something

I believe clothes do NOT make a person, unless of course you are doing something to oppose society (Gothic,Punk, etc. etc.)

jaydee
05-31-2008, 02:43 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dancingqueen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yes she was.</div></div>

Ma is female?? i kept thinking she was male! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Simba
05-31-2008, 11:28 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dancingqueen</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Simba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is nothing wrong with enforcing respectable clothing. It's about time. </div></div>

maybe not in the 1950s' but, times have changed.
Again, this is about the kids, not about you trying to control every aspect of your kids </div></div>

Well my job is to teach my kids respect and how to follow rules regardless whether they like it or not. If the school policy is to wear uniforms then so be it. When they are older and if they have a job that requires them to dress appropriately what are they going to say no? There are lots of jobs that require uniforms as well so it's about time these kids get used to it. That is life. So they can't wear their style of clothing for 7 hours out of a day, Big deal!!! Get over it!
It is also my job to ensure that they are not walking around looking like bums regardless of what the style is. How they act and how they dress is a reflection of me. Times may have changed DQ but morals haven't. If teaching my kids to dress appropriately is controlling every aspect of their lives then yep that is what I am doing and what I will continue to do until they are old enough to move out. They live under my roof and I make the rules not them.

dancingqueen
05-31-2008, 12:21 PM
wow... do you at least let your kids choose the color of their lunch boxes?

Hans
05-31-2008, 12:22 PM
Do schools supply these uniforms, or do you have to pay for it?

Kittie
05-31-2008, 12:23 PM
LOOOOOL!

dancingqueen
05-31-2008, 12:26 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hans</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do schools supply these uniforms, or do you have to pay for it? </div></div> you pay inflated prices for them

Hans
05-31-2008, 12:28 PM
Why should you have to pay for something they enforce, when it does not benefit the schooling quality of your child?

Kittie
05-31-2008, 12:29 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hans</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do schools supply these uniforms, or do you have to pay for it? </div></div>

pay!

dancingqueen
05-31-2008, 12:30 PM
It's all about control...
That is the only logical reasoning I could possibly think of

Hans
05-31-2008, 12:32 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kittie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hans</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do schools supply these uniforms, or do you have to pay for it? </div></div>

pay! </div></div>

Don't you already pay enough for school in this country?

Hans
05-31-2008, 12:33 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dancingqueen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's all about control...
That is the only logical reasoning I could possibly think of </div></div>

Can't wait until some Islamic fundamentalist groups gains control over such a somewhere school and enforces their dressing views upon it's customers.

SIMBA
05-31-2008, 12:40 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dancingqueen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wow... do you at least let your kids choose the color of their lunch boxes? </div></div>

I'll tell you what DQ, Simba gives the kids alot more than most parents. However, the one thing they they are taught above anything else is RESPECT. For others as well as themselves. It's taught in the way the present themselves, their personal interactions as well as the way they dress. Yes our kids pick their own clothes out as well but as it was instilled at a young age by Simba they know what is respectable and what is not.

Half the problem with kids today is caused by parents who don't take enough time to teach their kids respect, for others and themselves.They allow their kids to dress in some of the most hideous outfits I've seen in 20 years. Or for that matter, the most revealling and provocotive. NOT GOOD! Kids are trying to make themselves look older beyond their years, or sexier or what have you. It`s no wonder teen rape is on the rise. Some of these girls dress like nothing short of tramps and go around teasing boys and what have you, doing nothing but giving themselves a reputation of being a sl--.

Teaching your kids respect in not only social situations but in how they dress is a reflection of them, and the parents because we as parents are the ones who give them their first senses of self awareness, so you tell me how does that look.

SIMBA
05-31-2008, 12:41 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dancingqueen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's all about control...
That is the only logical reasoning I could possibly think of </div></div> It`s not about control its about respect. PERIOD. Until you have kids you`ll never fully understand.

Hans
05-31-2008, 12:42 PM
I do not dress according to any code, I dress the way I like it. Are you stating I have no respect because of that?

dancingqueen
05-31-2008, 12:44 PM
I won't even bother responding... just do what you've been doing to the rest of my posts. scan them, get the general idea of my stand, ignore everything else I said and run your mouth off.

so, that's nice you let your kids pick out their own clothes, but I'll bet your daughter gets such a licken if her ankle shows

Simba
05-31-2008, 12:45 PM
If you're wearing clothes that are bummy, wrinkled, full of holes, 10 times too big then yes.

dancingqueen
05-31-2008, 12:46 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TMI</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dancingqueen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's all about control...
That is the only logical reasoning I could possibly think of </div></div> It`s not about control its about respect. PERIOD. Until you have kids you`ll never fully understand. </div></div>

oh, stop it, really! unless you have been a kid in this century or you have an open mind you can not possibly understand

Simba
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dancingqueen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I won't even bother responding... just do what you've been doing to the rest of my posts. scan them, get the general idea of my stand, ignore everything else I said and run your mouth off.

so, that's nice you let your kids pick out their own clothes, but I'll bet your daughter gets such a licken if her ankle shows </div></div>

I don't have a daugher thank god or else she definately would not get along with her mother. I don't regret a single thing I've done with my kids thus far and believe me it shows.

Hans
That's funny, my clothes at work are always wrinkled.

dancingqueen
05-31-2008, 12:47 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Simba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you're wearing clothes that are bummy, wrinkled, full of holes, 10 times too big then yes. </div></div>

OMG talk about judgmental

Simba
05-31-2008, 12:48 PM
No honest.

dancingqueen
05-31-2008, 12:48 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Simba</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dancingqueen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I won't even bother responding... just do what you've been doing to the rest of my posts. scan them, get the general idea of my stand, ignore everything else I said and run your mouth off.

so, that's nice you let your kids pick out their own clothes, but I'll bet your daughter gets such a licken if her ankle shows </div></div>

I don't have a daugher thank god or else she definately would not get along with her mother. I don't regret a single thing I've done with my kids thus far and believe me it shows. </div></div>

ya, it shows alright... *rolls eyes*

Simba
05-31-2008, 12:49 PM
Just ask anyone that knows me and my kids. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

dancingqueen
05-31-2008, 12:51 PM
I just can't belive there are still parents like you in this world... every morning your kids probably stand at attention and call their fathe "sir". do they still use book straps to carry their books in? /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif
*spooky voice* welcome to the 2000's it's scary at first, but you will make it

SusyQ
05-31-2008, 12:51 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Simba</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dancingqueen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I won't even bother responding... just do what you've been doing to the rest of my posts. scan them, get the general idea of my stand, ignore everything else I said and run your mouth off.

I don't have a daugher thank god or else she definately would not get along with her mother. I don't regret a single thing I've done with my kids thus far and believe me it shows. </div></div>

I have met Simba's boys and let me tell you this if all boys were as respectful as Simba's and TMI's boys than the world would be a better place. You try too instill morals and values in your kids at an early age and the way they dress is one of those. I'd rather see a boy walking down the street in a pair of pants that fit them rather than a pair thats damn near down too his ankles. JMO

Hans
05-31-2008, 12:53 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SusyQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Simba</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dancingqueen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I won't even bother responding... just do what you've been doing to the rest of my posts. scan them, get the general idea of my stand, ignore everything else I said and run your mouth off.

I have met Simba's boys and let me tell you this if all boys were as respectful as Simba's and TMI's boys than the world would be a better place. You try too instill morals and values in your kids at an early age and the way they dress is one of those. I'd rather see a boy walking down the street in a pair of pants that fit them rather than a pair thats damn near down too his ankles. JMO </div></div>

I thought this was about school uniforms?

SusyQ
05-31-2008, 12:54 PM
So did I! hmmmmm imagine that another Soonet topic got out of control. PFFFFFFT!

Simba
05-31-2008, 12:55 PM
Thanks Susy!! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wavey.gif

Hans
05-31-2008, 12:56 PM
I will make sure I teach mine that morals and values of a person should not be based on the way they are dressed.

The Chronic Liar
05-31-2008, 12:56 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TMI</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Until you have kids you`ll never fully understand. </div></div>

haha /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif

SusyQ
05-31-2008, 12:59 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Simba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Susy!! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wavey.gif </div></div>

My pleasure /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wavey.gif

SusyQ
05-31-2008, 01:01 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hans</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will make sure I teach mine that morals and values of a person should not be based on the way they are dressed. </div></div>

Hans let me ask you something if your daughter left the house one day in a skirt so short that you can see the colour of her underware and a shirt so low that you can see her tatas would you let her walk out the door?

dancingqueen
05-31-2008, 01:02 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SusyQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Simba</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dancingqueen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I won't even bother responding... just do what you've been doing to the rest of my posts. scan them, get the general idea of my stand, ignore everything else I said and run your mouth off.

I have met Simba's boys and let me tell you this if all boys were as respectful as Simba's and TMI's boys than the world would be a better place. You try too instill morals and values in your kids at an early age and the way they dress is one of those. I'd rather see a boy walking down the street in a pair of pants that fit them rather than a pair thats damn near down too his ankles. JMO </div></div>

of course they are. They probably know they would get a licken if they weren't.
There are other ways to teach your kid to be respectfull and still alow them to dress how they want to dress.

Hans
05-31-2008, 01:03 PM
If you see a documentary on tv about a tribe where nobody wears clothes, do you see those people as having no morals or values?

dancingqueen
05-31-2008, 01:04 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SusyQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hans</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will make sure I teach mine that morals and values of a person should not be based on the way they are dressed. </div></div>

Hans let me ask you something if your daughter left the house one day in a skirt so short that you can see the colour of her underware and a shirt so low that you can see her tatas would you let her walk out the door? </div></div>
Susy, that's a non issue here... I don't know if hans agrees or not, but I think the general concensus of the board agrees that not allowing them to wear hooker-wear is something we all see eye to eye on

Tutones
05-31-2008, 01:06 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hans</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will make sure I teach mine that morals and values of a person should not be based on the way they are dressed. </div></div>

Too bad the world doesn't really work that way. Send your kid to their first job interview dresses in a pair of ripped jeans and a T-shirt with an offensive slogan on the front and see how far they get.

Sorry but the way kids dress at school IS about respect.

Uniforms and dress codes are not about taking away students' identities, they are about preparing them for the world of work and what the word 'professionalism' means. Schools are first and foremost a place to learn employment skills, not social clubs.

But that's just my opinion.

Hans
05-31-2008, 01:08 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Who?Me?</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hans</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will make sure I teach mine that morals and values of a person should not be based on the way they are dressed. </div></div>

Too bad the world doesn't really work that way. Send your kid to their first job interview dresses in a pair of ripped jeans and a T-shirt with an offensive slogan on the front and see how far they get.

Uniforms and dress codes are not about taking away students' identities, they are about preparing them for the world of work and what the word 'professionalism' means. Schools are first and foremost a place to learn employment skills, not social clubs.

But that's just my opinion. </div></div>

Schools are their to teach, not to enforce how people should dress.

SusyQ
05-31-2008, 01:08 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dancingqueen</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SusyQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hans</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will make sure I teach mine that morals and values of a person should not be based on the way they are dressed. </div></div>

Hans let me ask you something if your daughter left the house one day in a skirt so short that you can see the colour of her underware and a shirt so low that you can see her tatas would you let her walk out the door? </div></div>
Susy, that's a non issue here... I don't know if hans agrees or not, but I think the general concensus of the board agrees that not allowing them to wear hooker-wear is something we all see eye to eye on </div></div>

Whatever but I still agree on the uniform thing. There is so much competition on what the girls are wearing now at school its unbelieveable. My daughter is in grade 3 and she'll come home and some of the girls are dressing like Hannah Montana *shakes head* grade 3.

SusyQ
05-31-2008, 01:09 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Who?Me?</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hans</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will make sure I teach mine that morals and values of a person should not be based on the way they are dressed. </div></div>

AMEN!

Hans
Hannah Montana has no morals and values then?

Simba
Schools put these dress codes in place because the kids are representing the school. The school wants to have a reputation of teaching kids respect and morals. The same could be said about any company that you work for that has uniforms. The employee is representing the company.

Hans
05-31-2008, 01:10 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SusyQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Who?Me?</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hans</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will make sure I teach mine that morals and values of a person should not be based on the way they are dressed. </div></div>

AMEN! </div></div>

So you are more concerned about what your child wears at school then what the school teaches your child?

dancingqueen
05-31-2008, 01:11 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Who?Me?</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Uniforms and dress codes are not about taking away students' identities, they are about preparing them for the world of work and what the word 'professionalism' means. Schools are first and foremost a place to learn employment skills, not social clubs.</div></div>
Schools are also there to teach them social skills. it is a natural learning experience. That will not go away.
I have never, ever had to wear a uniform in my life and I turned out pretty damn good. Besides. It's not like you need to "prepare" yourself to wear a uniform... kids know how to do this by the time they get their first job... and if they don't, wearing a uniform in highschool is not going to help them

Simba
Both

Hans
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Simba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Schools put these dress codes in place because the kids are representing the school. The school wants to have a reputation of teaching kids respect and morals. The same could be said about any company that you work for that has uniforms. The employee is representing the company. </div></div>

I good way to teach respect and morals is to teach them you can not judge a book by it's cover.

SusyQ
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hans</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hannah Montana has no morals and values then? </div></div>

Yes of course she does BUT that kind of stuff should be done after school hours not during. A uniform would solve all that.

Hans
05-31-2008, 01:12 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SusyQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hans</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hannah Montana has no morals and values then? </div></div>

Yes of course she does BUT that kind of stuff should be done after school hours not during. A uniform would solve all that. </div></div>

so it's ok to wear those kind of outfits after school, but not during school?

Simba
05-31-2008, 01:14 PM
I'm sure she meant within reason. Why are you trying to twist words?

puppy
05-31-2008, 01:15 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SusyQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dancingqueen</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SusyQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hans</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will make sure I teach mine that morals and values of a person should not be based on the way they are dressed. </div></div>

Susy, that's a non issue here... I don't know if hans agrees or not, but I think the general concensus of the board agrees that not allowing them to wear hooker-wear is something we all see eye to eye on </div></div>

Whatever but I still agree on the uniform thing. There is so much competition on what the girls are wearing now at school its unbelieveable. My daughter is in grade 3 and she'll come home and some of the girls are dressing like Hannah Montana *shakes head* grade 3. </div></div>

Susyq...there is nothing wrong with hannah montana clothes...my daughter is also in grade 3 and wears hannah montana clothes and they are not hooker wear or revealing...she has t-shirts and shorts....

SusyQ
05-31-2008, 01:15 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hans</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SusyQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hans</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hannah Montana has no morals and values then? </div></div>

Yes of course she does BUT that kind of stuff should be done after school hours not during. A uniform would solve all that. </div></div>

so it's ok to wear those kind of outfits after school, but not during school? </div></div>

Yup! School is a place too learn not a fashion show. They all wear the same thing problem solved. Now remember this is just my opinion.

Hans
05-31-2008, 01:16 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Simba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm sure she meant within reason. Why are you trying to twist words? </div></div>

I am twisting words, just trying to understand what she is saying.

"Yes of course she does BUT that kind of stuff should be done after school hours not during. A uniform would solve all that."

dancingqueen
05-31-2008, 01:17 PM
so, work is a plce to do your job, wear uniforms... washrooms are a place to go to the washroom, wear uniforms, restraunts are places to eat at, wear a uniform
I just don't understand your logic on this Susy

puppy
if the uniform thing was enforced at school then my daughters would wear the uniform proper...not like some of the st mary's kids or basils kids wear them where they are hiked way up and showing the colour of underwear...

Hans
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SusyQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hans</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SusyQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hans</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hannah Montana has no morals and values then? </div></div>

so it's ok to wear those kind of outfits after school, but not during school? </div></div>

Yup! School is a place too learn not a fashion show. They all wear the same thing problem solved. Now remember this is just my opinion. </div></div>

That does not solve the problem, it creates a problem. Where does one draw the line? Should they all write the same, behave the same, do the same, eat the same?

SusyQ
05-31-2008, 01:18 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Puppy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SusyQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dancingqueen</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SusyQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hans</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will make sure I teach mine that morals and values of a person should not be based on the way they are dressed. </div></div>

Whatever but I still agree on the uniform thing. There is so much competition on what the girls are wearing now at school its unbelieveable. My daughter is in grade 3 and she'll come home and some of the girls are dressing like Hannah Montana *shakes head* grade 3. </div></div>

Susyq...there is nothing wrong with hannah montana clothes...my daughter is also in grade 3 and wears hannah montana clothes and they are not hooker wear or revealing...she has t-shirts and shorts.... </div></div>

Oh I know that puppy I love Hannah Montana but the competion between kids is crazy nowadays. Some parents can't afford those clothes is all I'm saying and some kids look down on the child and point fingers and say haha you can't have these clothes cause your family is poor. I've seen kids crying because of some of these girls ignorant comments.

Simba
05-31-2008, 01:18 PM
I don't think you get it.

Hans
05-31-2008, 01:19 PM
The biggest creative minds in history were all unconventional thinkers.

Hans
05-31-2008, 01:20 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Simba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't think you get it. </div></div>

Oh, I think I get it. What you wear reflects respect and values.

puppy
05-31-2008, 01:21 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SusyQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Puppy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SusyQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dancingqueen</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SusyQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hans</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will make sure I teach mine that morals and values of a person should not be based on the way they are dressed. </div></div>

Susyq...there is nothing wrong with hannah montana clothes...my daughter is also in grade 3 and wears hannah montana clothes and they are not hooker wear or revealing...she has t-shirts and shorts.... </div></div>

Oh I know that puppy I love Hannah Montana but the competion between kids is crazy nowadays. Some parents can't afford those clothes is all I'm saying and some kids look down on the child and point fingers and say haha you can't have these clothes cause your family is poor. I've seen kids crying because of some of these girls ignorant comments. </div></div>

oh trust me it was expensive...with the amount of hannah clothes that we bought it is not cheap that is for sure but yes there is kids who are mean in school...but if the uniforms were enforced it would change things alot

SusyQ
05-31-2008, 01:22 PM
Thankyou Puppy

jaydee
05-31-2008, 01:45 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hans</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why should you have to pay for something they enforce, when it does not benefit the schooling quality of your child? </div></div>

by right it should improve the students gradeds by being dressed in uniform and taking school more seriously, unless of course theyre too young to understand that. i can see how it could keep you at your best instead of slacking off in youre casual clothes, plus theres no need to go out and buy expensive clothes to keep up with everyone else!

Larimar
05-31-2008, 02:04 PM
I enjoyed being at a school with uniforms. I won't get into it too much but if you keep your clothes brand-new looking (as a washing machine allows) you can buy a set of clothing to last you the four years instead of buying what's new and in style each year. Paying 120 dollars for 4 years is a lot cheaper than 120 dollars for one pair of blue jeans that are "in". It's also nice to know that the uniforms of the graduates are often handed down to te people who really can't afford any clothes at all.

bluekrissyspikes
05-31-2008, 03:20 PM
woa. you buy your kids 120 dollar jeans? you are a really nice mom. you don't have to spend a fortune to get your kids stylish clothes. my daughter has a limit, and if it cost more than $20 she can't have it. try looking on sales racks and stuff people. a uniform isn't gonna save any money. my kids won't be attending any school that has uniforms because i'd like to teach them to be themselves. they aren't robots or sheep so i don't see anything good coming out of being forced to wear what others think is appropriate for them because some parents want their kids to be sheep. if you don't want your kid dressing like a prosti-tot don't buy them the ska nky clothes. if you see them with inappropriate clothes take it away. wearing a uniform for work is different. it's usually paid for and you are getting paid to wair it. is the school gonna be paying for the uniforms? are the kids getting paid to wair it? no. bullies pick on kids because they are whiny or sucky babies. because their hair is different or their skin or their teeth are crooked. not just because of their clothes. if you are a loser you will be picked on(sorry!). it's what kids do and it doesn't all depend on clothes. it the kid is cool and has a good attitude they won't get bullied. i never bothered to spend a fortune on clothes even when i was in highschool. no one picked on me cause my t-shirt was from red apple.

puppy
05-31-2008, 03:23 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SusyQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thankyou Puppy </div></div>

ur welcome

Tutones
05-31-2008, 03:53 PM
I never said that social skills are not part of education. I said that schools are not first and foremost a social club.

As educators we are not there to help determine who is the most popular or attractive. I feel for the kids whose parents can't afford to buy them the latest trends. Kids who don't come to school because they can't take the taunting from the have it all kids. Kids who drop out, not because they aren't intelligent, but because they have enough of a rough life at home without having to be socially abused by their peers at school. It's bad enough that their home life sucks because they either can't afford it or just don't give a damn. Why should they have to pay twice for being underprivileged?

Uniforms go a long way to giving the less advantaged a fighting chance in a school environment. Kids NEED to learn that there are more important things in life than what you look like. I think uniforms go a long way to highlighting the person INSIDE the uniform.

While I agree with Hans' belief that we should allow kids to express their individuality, I don't think that wearing a uniform is going to prevent that from happening. In fact, I spent a year student teaching in a School down south where all the kids wore uniforms and believe me, they had many ways of expressing themselves.

Tutones
05-31-2008, 04:03 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bluekrissyspikes</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> bullies pick on kids because they are whiny or sucky babies. because their hair is different or their skin or their teeth are crooked. not just because of their clothes. if you are a loser you will be picked on(sorry!). it's what kids do and it doesn't all depend on clothes. it the kid is cool and has a good attitude they won't get bullied. </div></div>

Now there's a sad statement on society. Bullies are cowards who pick on kids because they are insecure and feel the need to belittle others to make themselves feel better. There is NO justification for being a bully.

If a kid is cool and has a good attitude they won't get bullied? What is a definition of 'cool'? It is a social standard set by the 'in' crowd that can afford the latest fashions and look exactly like all their 'cool' friends. There is nothing INDIVIDUAL about that. It is amazing the number of kids who wear fashions that look terrible on them just because they are 'cool' and not because they actually look good on their body type.

It is the kids that choose to be themselves and be individuals that are most often the targets of bullys.

bluekrissyspikes
05-31-2008, 05:44 PM
the kids that aren't cool are the ones that don't have the right social skills. if your kid is a whining and stuff all the time then they won't be cool. no one, not even little kids wants to be around the kid that cries about everything. of course that kid is picked on. it's not cause of his clothes. it's because his parents made him soft and whiny. it has nothing to do with looking like everyone else in the in croud.

bluekrissyspikes
05-31-2008, 05:49 PM
not that it even matters cause it will never happen anyways.

X-Man
05-31-2008, 08:17 PM
Uniforms are a joke....they do nothing anyways....this whole discussion must be over a catholic school which enforces that crap....Its a catholic school..what else do you guys want....get your children out as fast as you can...they are being brainwashed and just so you know...uniforms dont help to solidify student body's...they mask individuality

they are making sheeple...not people

Macs II
05-31-2008, 08:22 PM
Are uniforms bad? Are uniforms bad? Why are uniforms bad? Are school uniforms bad? School uniforms are bad? Are uniforms good or bad? School uniforms are good? Good things about uniforms? Are school test good or bad? How are school uniforms bad? Why are school uniforms bad? Why school uniforms are bad? Bad points of school uniforms? Are school uniforms a bad idea? Is school uniforms a good idea? Are School uniforms bad or good? Are school uniforms a good idea? School uniforms is good for you? Are school uniforms good or bad? Are school uniforms a good thing?

BLAH BLAH BLAH

jaydee
06-01-2008, 03:35 AM
you learn better with a uniform instead of casual ripped jeans its proof from people that dress in a dress code when they are at work makes their ego boost a bit and work or think better

Kittie
06-01-2008, 03:37 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: moooochi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you learn better with a uniform instead of casual ripped jeans </div></div>

Wow. Seriously?

I just LOL'd.

jaydee
06-01-2008, 03:39 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kittie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: moooochi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you learn better with a uniform instead of casual ripped jeans </div></div>

Wow. Seriously?

I just LOL'd. </div></div>

its a mental thing dontcha know?
at my job at NuComm if i dressed up in dress pants and shirt made me work and feel more important then if i was in my casual jeans i wear to sleep in or what not, just makes me feel more lax and lazy

dancingqueen
06-01-2008, 07:49 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: moooochi</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kittie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: moooochi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you learn better with a uniform instead of casual ripped jeans </div></div>

Wow. Seriously?

at my job at NuComm if i dressed up in dress pants and shirt made me work and feel more important then if i was in my casual jeans i wear to sleep in or what not, just makes me feel more lax and lazy </div></div>

yes I remember when NuComm told us that too moochie *rolls eyes* funny though at the job I do now I feel much better about myself and more confident than I ever have since I have begun working, and there is no dress code...

jaydee
06-01-2008, 06:52 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dancingqueen</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: moooochi</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kittie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: moooochi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you learn better with a uniform instead of casual ripped jeans </div></div>

Wow. Seriously?

at my job at NuComm if i dressed up in dress pants and shirt made me work and feel more important then if i was in my casual jeans i wear to sleep in or what not, just makes me feel more lax and lazy </div></div>

yes I remember when NuComm told us that too moochie *rolls eyes* funny though at the job I do now I feel much better about myself and more confident than I ever have since I have begun working, and there is no dress code... </div></div>

funny, i always thought the training at Suthie wasnt as good as at NuComm? /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Larimar
06-01-2008, 09:39 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bluekrissyspikes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">woa. you buy your kids 120 dollar jeans? you are a really nice mom. </div></div>

naw, i'm still too young for kids lol.
I'm someone who has experienced both worlds- uniforms and normal dress.
(below is my humble opinion..just an opinion lol-not directed at anyone).

I have lived my teenage years knowing that clothing is expensive &That teenagers just want to fit in-not b individuals. What teens vocalize to us (Oh, I want to be different) and what they do, are two different things. The world of the teenager is complex, I havn't forgotten.
Everyone wants to be "different" in the latest styles. They have groups and they conform. That's how they socialize and learn from one another. Having different clothes isn't really something they are concerned over, It's more about the struggle of survival-the need to fit in and be "popular" or at least "liked".

Kids right now in schools are calling Blue Notes the "Cheap" stores and bullying kids that buy from there.

Bullying is a huge problem and it leaves students in fear, hurt, and unable to concentrate on their school work-let's not forget that's the purpose of them being in school.

kids are so concerned about lables, AND the costs of those lables. Not all, butmany kids experience the whole thing where mom or dad buys them a brand name from a cheaper store-and the kids will check the tag, and tease them for it. That didn't happen when I was in a non-uniform school (kids would tease based on what you wore, but they never new the difference between costs of one lable vs the next) I don't know why, but some places and some kids are getting more bold and less kind. Greedy, and materialistic I suppose.

It's unfortunate
<u>but </u>
That is reality for many students

Uniforms are a huge money saver for parents who spend money on new clothing styles and lables each season.
Not all parents do. Yet, there are people-the majority will buy clothing sets for summer, fall, winter, spring- <u>each</u> year.

Uniforms do not require constant updates-it's a <u>One</u> time spending cost-Lovely!
-especially since there are places you can buy them for cheaper. Not many people buy dress pants from the school. When I chose to go to a uniform school I bought the right coloured dress pants from another store.
Uniforms are also handed down after graduating-that way if someone truly can't afford the one time cost they get it for free. Nobody knows, because all the clothes are the same.
and yep, the one's handed down look absolutely brand new and well cared for. The one's that don't I remember, went in a school closet incase someone spilled food on themselves and needed a blouse or a shirt to get them through the day.

I am not saying that I think dressing in your own clothing is wrong-I'm saying I like uniforms as well. It should be the students choice where to go.

I do not mind creating an environment that has a more disciplinary feel to it. it has been researched that just a look can change the way people behave and react.
A home with things laying around is likely to be open and make others feel relaxed-while a home with plastic covers and is very clean is likely to make people not want to touch anything, sit up straight and feel alert and unrelaxed.
A look can communicate to people how to behave.
You have a class full of people wearing deviant outfits-they are more likely to behave that way. This is researched by psychologists. Clothing has a huge impact on how people are percieved and how they act.

It is also researched that clothing can

communicate

-economic level
-economic background
-educational level
-social background
-trustworthiness
-educational background
-social position
-level of success
- level of sophistication
-moral character.

People are judged by how they are dressed. Kids/teens will tease others for their poverty or inability to obtain those "100" dollar jeans or lables. It's a cruel high school world-and I just didn't experience any of that judgement while in high school thanks to uniforms. Clothing communicates something but it's not necessarily accurate. It's proven that clothing does a lot when it comes to creating assumptions.
Even a teacher can treat a student differently by the way they dress-creating a self fufilled prophesy on that students behaviour and marks.
Is it right for people to judge? No! but it is reality.
Of course you could see some man dressed in jogging pants and a sweat shirt-and people may assume he's a jogger, orrr they may feel he's too lazy to be dresed, uneducated..etc..
he may go home, put on his dress pants and ties and walk outside-ppl think he's now a professional , high standered type of guy...
Yet, both were the same guy with the same personality and background.
whether we like it or not- people look and judge quickly.
First impressions and all that. Human behaviour is odd..but ah wells.

What we choose to do with that is up to the person.

There's nothing wrong with both options-uniforms or none..but I don't see the need for ppl to get all disgusted at uniforms.
and I know a lot of people who went to catholic schools for the environment-not religion(they were of all different faiths or lack there of). Environment was important to me as well.

ps-I've been hearing about this uniform option for a while now and I really doubt it will ever start in public schools. Just doesn't seem likely.

Stingray
06-02-2008, 09:11 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dreamspirit</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bluekrissyspikes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">woa. you buy your kids 120 dollar jeans? you are a really nice mom. </div></div>

I have lived my teenage years knowing that clothing is expensive &That teenagers just want to fit in-not b individuals. What teens vocalize to us (Oh, I want to be different) and what they do, are two different things. The world of the teenager is complex, I havn't forgotten.
Everyone wants to be "different" in the latest styles. They have groups and they conform. That's how they socialize and learn from one another. Having different clothes isn't really something they are concerned over, It's more about the struggle of survival-the need to fit in and be "popular" or at least "liked".

Kids right now in schools are calling Blue Notes the "Cheap" stores and bullying kids that buy from there.

Bullying is a huge problem and it leaves students in fear, hurt, and unable to concentrate on their school work-let's not forget that's the purpose of them being in school.

kids are so concerned about lables, AND the costs of those lables. Not all, butmany kids experience the whole thing where mom or dad buys them a brand name from a cheaper store-and the kids will check the tag, and tease them for it. That didn't happen when I was in a non-uniform school (kids would tease based on what you wore, but they never new the difference between costs of one lable vs the next) I don't know why, but some places and some kids are getting more bold and less kind. Greedy, and materialistic I suppose.

It's unfortunate
<u>but </u>

Uniforms are a huge money saver for parents who spend money on new clothing styles and lables each season.
Not all parents do. Yet, there are people-the majority will buy clothing sets for summer, fall, winter, spring- <u>each</u> year.

Uniforms do not require constant updates-it's a <u>One</u> time spending cost-Lovely!
-especially since there are places you can buy them for cheaper. Not many people buy dress pants from the school. When I chose to go to a uniform school I bought the right coloured dress pants from another store.
Uniforms are also handed down after graduating-that way if someone truly can't afford the one time cost they get it for free. Nobody knows, because all the clothes are the same.
and yep, the one's handed down look absolutely brand new and well cared for. The one's that don't I remember, went in a school closet incase someone spilled food on themselves and needed a blouse or a shirt to get them through the day.

I am not saying that I think dressing in your own clothing is wrong-I'm saying I like uniforms as well. It should be the students choice where to go.

I do not mind creating an environment that has a more disciplinary feel to it. it has been researched that just a look can change the way people behave and react.
A home with things laying around is likely to be open and make others feel relaxed-while a home with plastic covers and is very clean is likely to make people not want to touch anything, sit up straight and feel alert and unrelaxed.
You have a class full of people wearing deviant outfits-they are more likely to behave that way. This is researched by psychologists. Clothing has a huge impact on how people are percieved and how they act.

communicate

-economic level
-economic background
-educational level
-social background
-trustworthiness
-educational background
-social position
-level of success
-moral character.

People are judged by how they are dressed. Kids/teens will tease others for their poverty or inability to obtain those "100" dollar jeans or lables. It's a cruel high school world-and I just didn't experience any of that judgement while in high school thanks to uniforms. Clothing communicates something but it's not necessarily accurate. It's proven that clothing does a lot when it comes to creating assumptions.
Even a teacher can treat a student differently by the way they dress-creating a self fufilled prophesy on that students behaviour and marks.
Of course you could see some man dressed in jogging pants and a sweat shirt-and people may assume he's a jogger, orrr they may feel he's too lazy to be dresed, uneducated..etc..
he may go home, put on his dress pants and ties and walk outside-ppl think he's now a professional , high standered type of guy...

There's nothing wrong with both options-uniforms or none..but I don't see the need for ppl to get all disgusted at uniforms.
and I know a lot of people who went to catholic schools for the environment-not religion(they were of all different faiths or lack there of). Environment was important to me as well.

ps-I've been hearing about this uniform option for a while now and I really doubt it will ever start in public schools. Just doesn't seem likely. </div></div>Wow! As if you have all of this time to type this out. What a waste of time, way too much info, I didn't even bother reading it. lol
/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif

jaydee
06-02-2008, 01:03 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stingray</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dreamspirit</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bluekrissyspikes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">woa. you buy your kids 120 dollar jeans? you are a really nice mom. </div></div>

It's unfortunate
<u>but </u>

communicate

-economic level
-economic background
-educational level
-social background
-trustworthiness
-educational background
-social position
-level of success
-moral character.

ps-I've been hearing about this uniform option for a while now and I really doubt it will ever start in public schools. Just doesn't seem likely. </div></div>Wow! As if you have all of this time to type this out. What a waste of time, way too much info, I didn't even bother reading it. lol
/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif </div></div>

DreamSpirit had to get the point across!

Larimar
06-02-2008, 02:51 PM
In the life of a student with many essays- You learn to type extremely fast /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

jaydee
06-02-2008, 03:00 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dreamspirit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">-moral character.</div></div>

/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif

Stingray
06-02-2008, 03:54 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dreamspirit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In the life of a student with many essays- You learn to type extremely fast /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif </div></div>I've typed many essays as well. I'm sure you have many good and valid points. You can type a novel on here if you want to, people are still going to have their own opinions and overreact and disguted about the smallest things anyhow. lol
/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Macs II
06-02-2008, 03:56 PM
Good thing I'm not opinionated http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q104/Macs20006/cheer2-1.gif

jaydee
06-02-2008, 04:04 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stingray</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[I've typed many essays as well. </div></div>

essays suck /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/snore.gif

Larimar
06-02-2008, 04:51 PM
My point was (about writing so many essays), that I've learned to adapt to writing fast enough that it didn't take any time at all-hence-no waste of time writing it. Matter of seconds. The post looks long b.c it's spaced out the sentences aren't placed together and I posted a list-from a book source-b.c I couldn't link to it-making it longer looking but not a long read. It's okay if people don't read it. It's soonett....nuff said.

Stingray
06-02-2008, 04:58 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dreamspirit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My point was (about writing so many essays), that I've learned to adapt to writing fast enough that it didn't take any time at all-hence-no waste of time writing it. Matter of seconds. The post looks long b.c it's spaced out the sentences aren't placed together and I posted a list-from a book source-b.c I couldn't link to it-making it longer looking but not a long read. It's okay if people don't read it. It's soonett....nuff said.
</div></div>I'm a fast typer as well. I've been typing at a very young age. Opening up a book to the correct page, placing it by your computer, then typing it out just to post on here, to me seems like a waste of time. too funny, lol

Larimar
06-02-2008, 05:06 PM
huh, no just the list is from a book.-The ways clothes coomunicate.
It was open already, because that's what my test is on. I found it neat that I was reading about what was being discussed, so I shared it. Why on Earth do you care so much? There are long posts in the religion section-Quick! go police them too! I've never seen a board with so much complaining and whining b4 in my life. THAT'S the waste of time..I can't believe you waste your time doing that LOL.-I'm done explaining now, ciao LMAO (laughing at the hypocrisy of it)

Stingray
06-02-2008, 05:09 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dreamspirit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm done explaining now, ciao LMAO (laughing at the hypocrisy of it)
</div></div>So am I, lol. Watching you get all excited over someone complaining over your long posting, lmao

nope sorry, don't do religion, too much controversy no matter what religion you are, therefore, no need for me to read long postings in there either, lol

Bouffer
06-02-2008, 05:52 PM
LOL! I went to st. marys and i think the uniforms caused more problems than if we could have just worn our own clothes. No one ever wore the uniform anyways. Always your own pants.... and the ones that wore the kilt... their butts were hanging out anyways. So i think if someone can wear their own clothes- they should. The uniforms are damn expensive anyways. Most parents don't let their kids leave the house half dressed, but what most parents didn't know is all the girls rolled their kilt up the second they walked out the front door!!!!!

RuMoR
06-02-2008, 05:52 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SusyQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hope so than kids won't be so competitive in whose wearing what and she has this brand name why don't I. I think its a great idea. These days school seems more like a fashion show than anything else. </div></div>

+1 to that

Thankfully mine would be happy browsing through a thrift shop.. which doesn't exactly make me any happier, but at least she's easy to please in that sense..

I suppose the only issue I see here is it reminds me of a Pink Floyd video where all the kids are marching..
Conformity, it's the jailer of freedom.

Hans
06-02-2008, 07:22 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Who?Me?</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I never said that social skills are not part of education. I said that schools are not first and foremost a social club.

As educators we are not there to help determine who is the most popular or attractive. I feel for the kids whose parents can't afford to buy them the latest trends. Kids who don't come to school because they can't take the taunting from the have it all kids. Kids who drop out, not because they aren't intelligent, but because they have enough of a rough life at home without having to be socially abused by their peers at school. It's bad enough that their home life sucks because they either can't afford it or just don't give a damn. Why should they have to pay twice for being underprivileged?

Uniforms go a long way to giving the less advantaged a fighting chance in a school environment. Kids NEED to learn that there are more important things in life than what you look like. I think uniforms go a long way to highlighting the person INSIDE the uniform.

While I agree with Hans' belief that we should allow kids to express their individuality, I don't think that wearing a uniform is going to prevent that from happening. In fact, I spent a year student teaching in a School down south where all the kids wore uniforms and believe me, they had many ways of expressing themselves. </div></div>

What is also of concern is that some sexual predators specifically go for the uniform thing. So it's possible you are putting your children in danger by forcing them to wear uniforms.

Simba
06-02-2008, 09:42 PM
omg

RuMoR
06-02-2008, 11:30 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hans</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Who?Me?</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I never said that social skills are not part of education. I said that schools are not first and foremost a social club.

While I agree with Hans' belief that we should allow kids to express their individuality, I don't think that wearing a uniform is going to prevent that from happening. In fact, I spent a year student teaching in a School down south where all the kids wore uniforms and believe me, they had many ways of expressing themselves. </div></div>

What is also of concern is that some sexual predators specifically go for the uniform thing. So it's possible you are putting your children in danger by forcing them to wear uniforms. </div></div>

wait.. wut?
If we tried to protect our kids from every type of predator there was out there, all kids would be home schooled.. even then some would have to go to someone else's house.

I think the uniform idea is a good idea personally.

Hans
06-03-2008, 06:10 AM
What I am talking about is extra exposure for no beneficial reason.

RuMoR
06-03-2008, 07:18 AM
Extra exposure? If you mean talking about it in the media.. I'm failing to see where kiddie stalkers and news about schools enforcing uniforms ties together.

dancingqueen
06-03-2008, 09:00 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Simba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">omg </div></div>

translation:
I can't think of any way to counter this and it is actually a good point, but for the sake of my pride I will simply dismiss this point

Simba
06-03-2008, 09:02 AM
Not likely DQ. It means just what it says.

dancingqueen
06-03-2008, 09:03 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RuMoR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Extra exposure? If you mean talking about it in the media.. I'm failing to see where kiddie stalkers and news about schools enforcing uniforms ties together. </div></div>

exposure, as in exposing them to preditors. they hike their skirt up unbutton their shirt ect... If your child like dressing like a prostitute, he/she will find a way around it. so, why not just let them wear their own clothes and have their individuality? Uniforms don't help people learn faster or better, they are just another source of income for the schools... like we don't pay enough in taxes already... let alone taxs paying for catholic schools where fary tales are considered apart of education (but that's another topic in and of itself)

dancingqueen
06-03-2008, 09:04 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Simba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not likely DQ. It means just what it says. </div></div>
translation:
shhhhhhhh

Simba
06-03-2008, 09:26 AM
Like I said DQ it is pretty self explanatory. I'm sorry you have a hard time understanding it. Uniforms will more than likely be enforced for a long time to come I'm sure. IF and when you have a child of your own, you'll have no choice but to accept it or send your kid somewhere else. It's as simple as that.

dancingqueen
06-03-2008, 09:31 AM
um, I understand that... but, here's news for you.. I can still disagree.. Funny that free country thing eh? I am aloud to have an opinion /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif
I'm sure uniforms in catholic schools will be around forever, that's okay, they aren't real schools anyways /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif but I oubt we will see uniforms in public schools

SusyQ
06-03-2008, 09:48 AM
Excuse me lol they aren't real schools anyways whats that suppose too mean?

dancingqueen
06-03-2008, 09:59 AM
Just what I said Susy. I don't belive them to be real schools. Religion has no place in a learning institution, be it jewish, catholic, Hebrew, Muslim ect...

SusyQ
06-03-2008, 10:14 AM
Oh DQ not true. My daughter does go too a Catholic School and the atmosphere in the school is warm and caring.

Simba
06-03-2008, 10:56 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dancingqueen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">um, I understand that... but, here's news for you.. I can still disagree.. Funny that free country thing eh? I am aloud to have an opinion /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif
I'm sure uniforms in catholic schools will be around forever, that's okay, they aren't real schools anyways /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif but I oubt we will see uniforms in public schools </div></div>

Not real? For one, St. Basil has an impecable reputation. Ask around.

Stingray
06-03-2008, 11:00 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dancingqueen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">um, I understand that... but, here's news for you.. I can still disagree.. Funny that free country thing eh? I am aloud to have an opinion /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif
I'm sure uniforms in catholic schools will be around forever, that's okay, they aren't real schools anyways /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif but I oubt we will see uniforms in public schools </div></div>They are as real as you are dq. No matter what school system you attend, they are all humans trying to get the best possible education to suite their own needs and beliefs.

dancingqueen
06-03-2008, 12:52 PM
meh. I still hold my opinion. to me an educational institution should be teaching about the world around us and preparing one for adulthood

Flawless Disaster
06-03-2008, 01:00 PM
Enforcing uniforms in highschool would being a huge relief to those that either cant afford the name brand clothes or simply choose not to pay the outrageous prices. If people are concerned about girls hiking up their skirts and unbuttoning their shirts just a tad bit to look even sexier, make them all wear slacks, girls and guys alike and make them all wear polos. Simple and easy.

bluekrissyspikes
06-03-2008, 01:11 PM
if you can't afford to buy descent jeans how can you afford a $500 or so uniform?

Stingray
06-03-2008, 01:32 PM
...and that's why there are countless, well educated people who attended these schools and are very successful in the real world around us. We also live in a city with part of its name coming from the catholic bible. lol

HBomb
06-03-2008, 03:24 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flawless Disaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Enforcing uniforms in highschool would being a huge relief to those that either cant afford the name brand clothes or simply choose not to pay the outrageous prices. If people are concerned about girls hiking up their skirts and unbuttoning their shirts just a tad bit to look even sexier, make them all wear slacks, girls and guys alike and make them all wear polos. Simple and easy. </div></div>

Wrong. Those people will still need to pay for regular clothes, aswell as the school uniforms. You aren't saving money by sending your kid to a school with uniforms.

Kittie
06-03-2008, 04:33 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dancingqueen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">meh. I still hold my opinion. to me an educational institution should be teaching about the world around us and preparing one for adulthood</div></div>

I agree with that!

Stingray
06-03-2008, 05:06 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kittie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dancingqueen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">meh. I still hold my opinion. to me an educational institution should be teaching about the world around us and preparing one for adulthood</div></div>

I agree with that! </div></div>
Ok, now the topic is originally about uniforms in all schools, not just one school board in particular. Yes, everyone has their own opinion on this which is cool. What I would like to know is, what courses do they offer in a public school that gets you better prepared for adulthood and the real world than say, a catholic school?

Hans
06-03-2008, 05:13 PM
You learn the most from your own mistakes.

dancingqueen
06-03-2008, 05:36 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stingray</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kittie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dancingqueen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">meh. I still hold my opinion. to me an educational institution should be teaching about the world around us and preparing one for adulthood</div></div>

Ok, now the topic is originally about uniforms in all schools, not just one school board in particular. Yes, everyone has their own opinion on this which is cool. What I would like to know is, what courses do they offer in a public school that gets you better prepared for adulthood and the real world than say, a catholic school? </div></div>

religion classes that are taught in catholic schools take time/funing away from the real classes.

Stingray
06-03-2008, 05:44 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dancingqueen</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stingray</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kittie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dancingqueen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">meh. I still hold my opinion. to me an educational institution should be teaching about the world around us and preparing one for adulthood</div></div>

Ok, now the topic is originally about uniforms in all schools, not just one school board in particular. Yes, everyone has their own opinion on this which is cool. What I would like to know is, what courses do they offer in a public school that gets you better prepared for adulthood and the real world than say, a catholic school? </div></div>

religion classes that are taught in catholic schools take time/funing away from the real classes. </div></div>Then it wouldn't be a catholic school if the didn't teach it. Other provinces have Anglican school boards. If you don't want to learn religion, then don't go to that particular school. Other people would beg to differ, that religion is important in their everyday lives. Who's one to say if it's right or wrong, if you don't like religion, then just don't go to that school. They are not harming anyone by doing so. Both catholic and public schools more than prepare their students for the real world. I have friends who went to both, and believe me, this is not a major concern for any of us. Whether my friends and I went to catholic school or public, we are all successful with our lives and are living in the same "real world".

dancingqueen
06-03-2008, 07:41 PM
I still don't think they are real schools. and the fact that they belive a tudent learns better with a uniform only reinforces that thought. I don't have a problem with any religions I just don't think religion belongs in school. That's what church is for

jaydee
06-03-2008, 08:14 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dancingqueen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just don't think religion belongs in school.</div></div>

i agree but its just another subject to fill the curriculum

Lollypop
06-03-2008, 08:32 PM
While I didn't go to a Catholic school, we still said the Lords Prayer every morning and also sang O'Canada. I think my generation turned out alright.
Aside from DQ not believing that religion doesn't belong in schools, plain and simple don't send your kids to a Catholic one.
Both of my kids went to Catholic elementary school and I gave them the choice of which school board they wanted to attend for High School. They both chose the Catholic Board.
My son is graduating this year, and as far as uniforms I believe I bought him a new polo and that was it, everything else fit from last year. So expense wise its not that bad.
He also works and buys most of his own clothes.
Having lived thru uniforms with both kids, I really don't see what the big deal is.

bluekrissyspikes
06-03-2008, 10:01 PM
perverted old men like little girls in school girl outfits.

Giggle Squirt
06-03-2008, 10:11 PM
that is so true....