PDA

View Full Version : Gastric Bypass

Carolyn
05-29-2008, 04:08 PM
Hi All, hoping I can get some help. I was talking to my doctor today about Gastric Bypass and he told me to search on the Ministry of Healths website to find the package that he needs to fill out for Out of Country coverage....I looked all over the website and can't find it, can anyone help me as to what I am looking for? Any information about all this gastric bypass would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Carolyn

Suzanne027
05-29-2008, 04:22 PM
Here is the information you need

Here is a website with some tips
http://mgbhelp.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=34&Itemid=36

here is the OHIP website
http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/public/program/ohip/outofcountry/prior_approval.html#1

and might I suggested http://www.clos.net

KelBear
05-29-2008, 09:32 PM
THere are a few of us post ops here... so if you have any questions just ask.. we will all be glad to help.

Bill Nash
05-29-2008, 09:34 PM
Be sure to thoroughly investigate which types of gastric bypasses are available. People on this site will always try to promote their particular surgery (mine was the MGB by Dr. Robert Rutledge).

It is a life saving/changing process that has to be taken seriously. If you have any other questions, those of us that have had the surgery will be more than happy to help you find an answer on this thread.

Good luck!

Carolyn
05-30-2008, 09:49 AM
Okay some questions I have. For going out of country I assume that OHIP ONLY covers the surgery and hospital stay (if any), what expenses are out of your pocket? Do you have to stay nearby in a hotel for a few days? Also I have heard people say they had to see a psycholigist (I know wrong spelling) and was wondering why? How long did most wait to get approved for out of country? How long did the total time take before surgery was done? Sorry for all the questions, I am trying to get prepared as much as possible.

KelBear
05-30-2008, 11:57 AM
I had to stay in hospital for one night after having the Mini gastric bypass with Dr Rutledge. I then had to stay in the area for 5 or 6 days then come back to get staples out. The Dr. doing the surgery usually requires you to see a psychiatrist or psycologist to ensure that you in a good frame of mind, that you know what you are getting into and have the ability to take care of yourself after surgery. Because if you are depressed now chances are it will get a lot worse after surgery. (you will understand after you do your research) Some peoples approvals from OHIP come within a week... some take months. Depends on your particular situation. Took me about 6 or 7 months from when I started the process to time of surgery. My sis had the same surgery and it took her 3 months to complete the process... So as you can see everyone is different.

kitca
05-30-2008, 12:52 PM
hi carolyn, i am just over 2 years out and thrilled to pieces with my surgery!

it took me 3 months from decideing to have it, till i had it done. i worked very hard in those 2 months. the doctors want you to make sure that you know what you are getting into, all the risks, benefits, and aftercare...

there are several types of gastric bypass, the 2 main ones are rny done in traverse city, and the mgb, done in las vegas or davenport florida.

we that have had it do favour our own surgeries, so it is good to get both sides, and the pros and cons of everything. do your research and talk to others.

you should have found the form by now on the ohip link up above.

oh, kelbear, i suffer depression, but that was not any problem with the surgery, i know of lots of patients in the same boat. if you are controlled it should not be a problem, just make sure to work with your doctor and not fool around with your meds on your own.

it is wonderful and excitng and a whole new life awaits you!!!

Carolyn
05-31-2008, 08:09 AM
What are some of the reasonings some chose mini gastric bypass over the normal gastric bypass? Also my doctor said he would have to charge me to fill out the form that goes to the ministry of health, did any of you get charged and if so how much?

Suzanne027
05-31-2008, 10:06 AM
Hi Carolyn

I chose the mini-gastric bypass for two major reasons 1. you only need one night in the hospital afterwards and the recovery time is very quick. The day after surgery I was able to do some tourist stuff (not for long but for a bit) some days I went out sightseeing all day. With the "regular" gastric bypass you can be in the hospital for days and the recovery time is weeks. 2. The mini-gastric bypass is reversible if needed and can be revised if you don't lose enough weight or god for bit you get ill with something like cancer and need to put some weight on.

No my doctor did not charge me for any of the paperwork.

kitca
05-31-2008, 11:33 AM
my reasons were the same for choosing the mgb. also the success and complication rates were better for the mgb. however, most doctors are more farmilliar (sp?) with the rny and prefer it. i really suggest checking it all out. munson medical centre in traverse city does the rny, but i dont know their webaddress.

some doctors charge for paperwork, it all depends. alot of group health doctors will charge, but not all (they are supposed to). it might make a difference if you are asking for it or your doctor is suggesting it? i dont know the different reasons why they charge or not.

Babzz
05-31-2008, 03:35 PM
I choose the mgb for the same reasons as kitca..
fast recovery, revisions can be done if nessessary and high rate of success of keeping it off permanently
The clos site is very informative and many you tube videos for those who would rather watch than read!

I am scheduled for July! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

skibunnie64
05-31-2008, 04:56 PM
Any of these surgeries have a high success rate of losing and keeping it off. You have to remember that the surgery is just a tool and it is you that determines how successful you are going to be. There are strict guidelines to follow after each surgery and if not followed you can put the weight back on eventually overtime

kitca
05-31-2008, 06:37 PM
that is certainly right, it is a tool. the surgery is supposed to put us on a level playing field with a 'normal' person. for some reason our bodies went crazy on us. with the surgery we still have to watch what we eat and exercise, but are now able to lose like a regular person would be able to loose. and with the mgb, we shouldnt be able to gain back the 100 lbs, but 20% gainback if we are not careful.

dancingqueen
06-16-2008, 09:29 PM
I am interested in how overweight one would have to be to qualify to be covered. I am a little over weight, and my belly is quite a bit to wide due to these factors I am considered high risk for heart disease especially since I am type 1 diabetic.
Also, I don't have a doctor, anyone have one of these operations without a doctor? If so, how did you go about getting the referral?
thanks in advance for any help /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Babzz
06-16-2008, 09:43 PM
It depends on you BMI and medical conditions..
Ohip will cover if you have somethings called Co-mobities

check out http://www.clos.net
The people on this site are wonderful and will answer any questions you have. Email Kim.. she rocks

I might be having one more meeting at my place before my surgury in July. watch for a post soon..

kitca
06-17-2008, 10:45 PM
you definatly need a doctor. your mgb surgeon will work with your doctor in tonw here for tests and rx's etc. also a doctor has to fill out the forms and agree to treat you.

im not sure with the rny surgery in traverse city, maybe different, i dont know.

ohip want to know that your weight is life threatening and you are suffereing irreparable (sp?) tissue damage at present becaue of your weight. they didnt care if you were 'at risk', they needed it to be presently serious. that was for me 2 years ago.

skibunnie64
06-18-2008, 05:52 AM
I believe some have gotten a nurse practictioner to fill out the forms (if my mind serves me correctly), another route and a bit more costly is through Dr. Linda Benedict (sp)she specializes in weight loss. She has help a few with getting weight loss surgery. I don't know much about her though but I believe I heard you have to do a 6 month program with her first. Not 100% sure on that though.

The testing is done here by your doctor even if you choose the other surgeries.

dancingqueen
06-19-2008, 03:00 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kitca</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you definatly need a doctor. </div></div>

but I simply do not have one... am I no longer ineligable?

kitca
06-19-2008, 09:09 AM
well, like skibunny says if you can find a nurse practioner (which is what i have and call a doctor) or dr. benedict. maybe the traverse city program is different? you could try their website, though, not sure what it is. but for the mgb you need someone here locally.

call up dr. benedict and see what she is offering?

edditted to add that bypass surgery is usually for people with 100 or more pounds to lose, unless there are major medical problems.