PDA

View Full Version : Odd Question about ending tenancy.

Bouffer
05-29-2008, 10:46 PM
I'm not sure what to do at this point. On may 1st i handed in my notice to end my tenancy for June 30th. As i usually do with any questions or letters i just put it in the box down the hall with my rent cheque and assumed the company would receive it. My property manager is telling me now that they did not receive my letter and that i have to give a 60 day notice from today.... What should i do? Is this my fault for not personally handing the notice to my property manager who i think i've seen once in the year i have lived here? Or are they trying to screw me over- since they did get the rent cheque?! They are known for trying to screw tenants over.....Keep in mind i am in Sudbury. The landlord and tenant board doesn't really say much about it other than you have to give 60 days notice..... Any advice?

corn316
05-30-2008, 08:59 AM
if ur rent cheque was with the letter then they are trying to screw u but if it was seprate then there could be a problem myself i would of just said f... it i handed it in if u cant get organized its ur problem not mine and im sure they have some one that would move in soon as ur gone

x_ina68
05-30-2008, 06:39 PM
If your landlord did get the cheque then more then likely got the letter too. When did you personally talk to him about it. Did he come up to you and ask you cause if he did then that means that he did see the letter. Was it stapled to the check or what. But I think in my opinion he is trying to screw you. Go to the board and tell your landlord that. He'll be to afraid to do anything any probably tell you to nevermind the situation.

Bouffer
05-30-2008, 07:31 PM
The letter was folded in an envelope with the rent check, we have a copy of the original letter ( as we do everything we send them) But i am nervous they are going to try to pull some bullcrap with us to get more money. I never talked to my landlord about ending my tenancy. We never see anyone here.... I had to wait 2 weeks for them to call me back over a leak in my roof so its not out of the norm for them to ignore tenants. Should i pretty much tell them too bad so sad? lol

A*lil*Loopy
05-30-2008, 10:59 PM
Go above the manager, make sure that the company/owner knows what is going on and you intend to move out as you have stated. Let them know that this manager is not accessible as they are paying him to be. Be clear and don't take any crap but make sure that they do know what kind of a lazy bum they've hired. And send them a copy of your notice so they have it on file.

Next time though, make sure that you hand it directly to a landlord or send it by registered letter that way you don't have to worry about it again. What a pain in the butt to deal with, I've just moved and my former landlord is an idiot. Can't be clear enough with paperwork.

And yeah, too bad. If they want to get more money out of you it would mean court and I doubt that the property manager wants to go through that effort to admit he's an idiot.

bluekrissyspikes
05-31-2008, 01:13 PM
i say tell the landlord to kiss it and just move anyways. if they don't like it they can pay the $500 court fee to get one more months rent out of you. you did what you were supposed to do. it's not your fault the guy is lieing.

Jack Butler
05-31-2008, 02:28 PM
Read how a Landlord can deliver the same type of notice.
The mail box is acceptable.

There are many ways that you can give this notice to your tenant.

You can:
-hand it directly to the tenant or to an adult in the rental unit,
-leave it in the tenant's mailbox or where mail is ordinarily delivered,
-place it under the door of the rental unit or through a mail slot in the door,
-send it by fax to a fax machine where the tenant carries on business or to a fax
machine in their home (if you fax it, it is deemed to be given on the date
imprinted on the fax),
-send it by courier (if you courier it, you must add one business day for delivery),

If you have a dated copy of the notice, your fine.

Jack Butler
05-31-2008, 02:40 PM
There would be money attached, only if you lost at the LTB.
The filing fee is $150 for the landlord.
It would cost you nothing, they pay to file against you.
If they win they can get costs, if they don't, they can't.
If you have a new address or tenancy agreement that corresponds with your notice, you've proved your point!

Flawless Disaster
05-31-2008, 09:50 PM
If the letter was folded in an envelope with the rent check then it would be safe to assume that either a) the landlord is a dumba$$ and didnt bring it to the manager or b) the landlord is a dumba$$ for trying to lie. It is the landlord's responsibility to hand in anything from the tenants to the manager. If the manager didnt get it, then its the landlord's fault. Just for future reference, always bring the letter to the person that cashes your check.

Jack Butler
06-01-2008, 09:55 AM
Don't assume anything!
You still have to produce your paperwork.
The above rules apply, believe me.
If what you have said, is what happened, you'll be fine.

Bouffer
06-02-2008, 12:08 PM
Thanks for your help everyone!

Verotik
06-10-2008, 09:36 PM
you should be fine i wouldnt even think twice about it

you gave your notice