PDA

View Full Version : Horror show!!!

great body
06-02-2008, 09:39 AM
http://www.thestar.com/GTA/Columnist/article/435170

"I had a miscarriage ... I was home alone, so I called an ambulance to come and get me ... The female attendant asked me if this was my first pregnancy and proceeded to tell me how often this occurs in first pregnancies. Once they got me into the ambulance we had to drive across the 401 in rush hour traffic at 5 p.m. ... I was screaming and crying in pain. She told me that it didn't really matter because they wouldn't have a bed for me anyway. I told her I was going to throw up. She fumbled around looking for something for me to be sick in. She finally dumped out a bunch of stuff from a container and gave that to me. When we arrived at the hospital ... both attendants proceeded to chat with the emergency room staff about some party they were all attending and then she nonchalantly passed her paperwork over to the nurse. They sat me in a wheelchair and put me in the waiting room. (Don't get me wrong. I understand that I was not dying, but I was in the process of losing a baby and they plunked me in the middle of a full waiting room by myself.) My sister came to stay with me and after about 2 hours I said that I needed to use the washroom, so she stood me up and we started for the bathroom. The blood was running down my legs at this point, so my sister approached the triage nurse and said that they should probably move me into a bed. They moved me into a room and gave me a towel to clean up the blood. The doctor came in about one hour later, didn't examine me and said ... I could sleep there and get a d-and-c in the morning. I opted for a shot of Demerol and proceeded to go home. My sister and I got 10 feet outside the emergency room door and I felt something drop. She rushed me back into the bathroom and I had the miscarriage in the toilet."

KRP
06-02-2008, 09:45 AM
I hate to say it but the staff at the hospital here are not that much better then some of the nurses and doctor listed in that story. I know that much from my own experience with a miscarriage at the hospital.

Verotik
06-02-2008, 09:46 AM
she was already having a miscarriage the hospital was full up, but you would think they would have the courtesy to find a spot for her

SusyQ
06-02-2008, 09:53 AM
Well my experience lastnight at the ER was awesome. The nurse took her time out and played with my daughter. After all was said and done my daughter went there scared and left happy. I've always been treated decent in our ER. Kudos too the staff.

Jackie B
06-02-2008, 09:58 AM
I had a miscarriage in December, and was shocked and disgusted with the treatment I received at emerg as well.

Punkin
06-02-2008, 10:50 AM
I had a miscarriage once.. I went down with abdominal pain and they took me in right away. I spent NO time in the waiting room even though it was full.. and spent maybe 2 hours in the room, only because I had to wait for blood work. I went home that night & miscarried through the night, but was OK the next day. However the day after that I was hemorraging (Sp?).. and again they took me RIGHT in.. about 9am.. and I was in surgery 2 1/2 hours later. The treatment & care of the nurses were amazing!! I feel sorry for the girl in the story!

KRP
06-02-2008, 11:20 AM
I went down and they brought me into a room right away, I didn't wait as soon as they heard that I was pregnant and bleeding. Mind you after I was brought to a room in the ER I stayed there for over 5 hrs before I was sent home. The entire time bleeding and in pain and my husband was cursing loud enough for them to hear. The doctor sat at the desk across from the room I was in laughing with the nurses and reading the newspaper. We could see him because he was just outside the door. He came in, sent for blood work, almost 2 hrs later came back and checked me and said I had what he called a threatening miscarriage. Either I could carry on with my pregnancy normally or end up having a miscarriage. I was sent home and had to return the next day for a U/S at the hospital. The entire time bleeding and in pain, I go for my U/S and end up having a miscarriage during the U/S.

Sophie's_Mommy
06-02-2008, 12:26 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackie B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a miscarriage in December, and was shocked and disgusted with the treatment I received at emerg as well. </div></div>

i have to agree, when i went in told them i was bleeding ( this was a couple yrs ago) they put me in a room right away, but i sat there for 3 hours before anyone came in,the doctor came in and half way threw telling me that the baby had no heartbeat a nurse came int he room said phone call to him he left to talk to his wife im assuming about a camping trip they were taking that weekend, then came back in said oh the baby has no heartbeat u r miscarrying go home relax, and left...i was so pissed, e and the hubby are both balling our eyes out in the room and he could not care less is the way it seemed.
I guess some have good experiences and some have bad, well i had a bad one, and i hate our emerg. that was my 1st pregnancy. Im due to have a baby in 19 days and 2 months into this pregnancy i started to bleed, i did not go to the hospital, i stayed home and said to hubby if it happens i ll deal with it alone at home like i did a couple yrs ago cause i was in o way going back there where they really dont give a [censored] about u and leave u alone anyways and send u away to deal with it at home...but thank god everything turned out ok, i did not loose the baby this time and she will be here in a couple weeks /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
i feel really bad for that women to have to go threw that alone, least i had my hubby there with me, she was alone and those people dident give to craps about her..who cares if it happens in alot of 1st pregnancies, this is devastating to a women and they should have a little more compassion.

Jackie B
06-02-2008, 01:55 PM
I had bled with my two previous pregnancies around the same time, so when I started spotting, I didn't think anything of it. The last time I saw an older doctor who was very nice, and preserved my dignity by ordering an ultrasound instead of doing an internal.

This time I was still bleeding the next say, so I dropped my kids off at gramma's within about 20 minutes of waking up, and headed to the hospital without showering or shaving. I was totally embarassed when a young male doctor did an internal on me and ordered blood work instead of sending me for an u/s, then he sent me home. By the time I got home I was pouring blood, and knew I was losing the baby. I got a call a while later from the doctor confirming that.