PDA

View Full Version : pressboard painting questions

MissMuffett
06-04-2008, 06:51 PM
I want to paint an old armoir and night table for my sons room and i have sanded it down to the wood.. but it is press board.. Im unsure how i should paint it. I would like to have it an oak color to match his bed.. does anyone have any suggestions. i do know that the paint will soak up but there has to be a way to paint it..

bluekrissyspikes
06-04-2008, 06:52 PM
prime it first

opinionated
06-04-2008, 06:57 PM
I second that...

I've painted pressboard before, and it will soak up coat after coat after coat....ridiculous.

Macs II
06-04-2008, 07:03 PM
You need to prime it with a stain blocker such as Zinsser and then just paint it.
Press board has glue in it and it will eat through the paint. Regular primer won't do.

If any of the surfaces are rough you can put a light coat of joint compound on and then sand smooth,prime and paint.

Super Gram
06-04-2008, 11:17 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Macs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You need to prime it with a stain blocker such as Zinsser and then just paint it.
Press board has glue in it and it will eat through the paint. Regular primer won't do.

If any of the surfaces are rough you can put a light coat of joint compound on and then sand smooth,prime and paint. </div></div>

Listen to Macs, he knows what he is talking about /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/beerchug.gif