PDA

View Full Version : Street Bike Riders Input Please

DeleteAccout
06-04-2008, 06:58 PM
Im buying a street bike next spring, and Im looking for input to as what to get. Im not a very big guy, so something over 750cc will prolly be too heavy, or too hard to keep the front end down. Im thinking, 600cc will be sufficient. 500cc is too hard to find now a days :S

Im thinking something like a Suzuki GSXR ... Suzuki Katana, Honda CBR, or a newer Kawasaki NInja.

What im looking for is people who have ridden bikes for a while, or currently do ride them, to give me some insight to as what I'm looking forward to with gas prices / mileage, maintenance costs, and so forth. Regardless of if I get a car, Im not going to be winter driving it, so Im not concerned about that.

What is a good intermediate bike. Something with style, moderate power, and decent cost

Barry Morris
06-05-2008, 09:36 AM
Wow, kinda surprised there's been no input here.

Do you ride already??

Jack Butler
06-05-2008, 09:24 PM
It's tuff to comment, not knowing the rider.
What do you want a cruiser or a sport bike?
New or used?
The first bike bought is often replaced after the graduated licencing is over.
Buy something that you can handle. That has to be determined by yourself.
Buying your dream bike first doesn't make sense, unless it's a small one.
Buy a small used bike between 500 and 750 that will take some bumps.
It's not if, it's when, and beginners see when more often.
It also depends on your riding.
Weight helps you at highway speeds as does displacement.
Your final driven test is much easier on a smaller bike.
Get on a dirt bike this summer, if you can.
You can push yourself and try stuff you wouldn't on the road without a big risk.
You have to decide based on your experience and need or want.
A summer on a dirt bike might change your wants?

DeleteAccout
06-06-2008, 06:14 PM
Well, to answer your questions in order ...

I do not currently ride no. However, I have been riding dirt biks from the time I was about 13 er 14, until recently.

I am looking into a sport bike. I have decided on either a Suzuki GSXR 600, Kawasaki Ninja, or a Suzuki Katana. My dream biks isnt what most think. I dont want a Hyabusa, or a nitrous oxide bike, or any of that crap. Im cool with a 600cc bike that's like 5 years old lol.

As per weight ... Im 5'10-ish and 160 pounds. Once I finish bulking up, I'm hopefully gonna be 170 to 185. I'll be doing a cross country ride once I get the bike just once with a friend. I want to go back to BC, and he's never been. Other than that ... straight up city driving with the occasional drive to somewhere like Sudbury, or Toronto tops.

Now, for the driven test, how do they do that? Get someone ont he back with you? or someone to tail you in a car? or do they have 2 bikes runnin down the road?

Jack Butler
06-06-2008, 08:39 PM
They follow behind you in a car.
You wear an ear piece they provide to hear the instruction on where to go and what to do. It can last over 45 minutes I'm told.
If you weight 185lbs a 500 would be small.
The sport bike riding position is not a natural position for the body. BC is a long way to go leaning forward.

DeleteAccout
06-07-2008, 04:38 AM
Oh I know man. I assure you, I find that comfortable. Perhaps 3,749 Kilometres MIGHT over do it .... but Im goin =). Cruiser bikses are more suited for long distance runs sure, but I dont like the look or the price tag on those lol.

I'm 160 now, and I was deciding on getting a 600. 750 seems to be over kill right now seeing as how Im a newbie. I want something I can afford, and something that isnt too hard on insurance. Atleast until Im 25.

Jack Butler
06-07-2008, 01:53 PM
The reason I say 750 is the extra weight, power was secondary.
The power in a 750 sport bike maybe, in a cruiser, no.
Luggage would be a consideration.
Do they make luggage options for the bike you are considering?
Clearing up swept exhaust can be a problem.
Sounds like you know what you want.
Good luck and remember, everyone else on the road drives like an idiot. Keep that in your head and you will be ready.
Shinny side up!

DeleteAccout
06-07-2008, 02:12 PM
They do in fact make saddle bags and luggage options for street bikes yes. Although not exactly .... HUGE ... It'll hld enough to get me by.
http://www.lockitt.com/images/dowcopic/DOW50109.jpg

What do you mean by "swept up exhaust". Swept up from another car? ... or from my own bike?

Also ... People drive like morons EVERYWHERE. It's almost as common as not washing your hands after you pee. Apparently something like 1 in 4 dont wash ... so ... nuff said.

Jack Butler
06-07-2008, 03:43 PM
Cruisers exhaust are normally low and parallel with the ground.
Sport bike exhaust are normally much higher at the rear wheel and considered up swept.
It's is in the way for some saddle bags.
The top bag is a good option as well as the tank bags and front fork bags.
Sometimes there are assemblies available that are just meant to be fasten too.
It's a series of bars that get fastened to the bike that lets you attach any type of arrangement or a designed system of bags.
Sport bikes normally don't accommodate luggage on the own.

DeleteAccout
06-07-2008, 05:19 PM
yeah I hear ya. I like the rear bags, and the tank bags. Although not very .... spacious lol. They wont hold a lot. Front fork bags I've seen ... but never on a sport bike. Something to definately look into. Thank you

Barry Morris
06-08-2008, 10:29 AM
They follow you in a car for the drive test?? That would be new.

When I took my test it was done at the corner of Second Line and Sackville, from the parking lot of the church.

The tester did some basic stuff, to make sure you knew something about riding, then he sent everybody out on the road, one by one. you made a left turn onto Second Line eastbound, turned around in the Atlas Auto Parts lot, came back west,left turn onto Sackville south, right on to White Oak, right on North St, and right on Second Line, to end up turning left on to Sackville north, and back into the church lot.

The tester could see what you were doing for most of this test.

washawee
06-08-2008, 12:29 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barry Morris</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They follow you in a car for the drive test?? That would be new.

When I took my test it was done at the corner of Second Line and Sackville, from the parking lot of the church.

The tester did some basic stuff, to make sure you knew something about riding, then he sent everybody out on the road, one by one. you made a left turn onto Second Line eastbound, turned around in the Atlas Auto Parts lot, came back west,left turn onto Sackville south, right on to White Oak, right on North St, and right on Second Line, to end up turning left on to Sackville north, and back into the church lot.

The tester could see what you were doing for most of this test. </div></div>

Yup, that's how it's still done.

FBI
06-09-2008, 06:12 AM
Does anyone know the # for the safe riding couse for new riders . just got my bike. heard it was a good idea.

V Code
06-09-2008, 10:10 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: polaris</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barry Morris</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They follow you in a car for the drive test?? That would be new.

The tester could see what you were doing for most of this test. </div></div>

Yup, that's how it's still done. </div></div>

that would be how it is done for the M1-M2 test. the M2 exit test is done via a ear peice and they follow you in a car. this way they can take you more than around the block as it is a highway test in some cities.

Good luck with insurance tormented .. HAHAHAHAHA

DeleteAccout
06-09-2008, 11:04 PM
285 a month sadly. I looked into it lol

V Code
06-09-2008, 11:31 PM
youd be best in a car
think of how much gas you could waste with $285

DeleteAccout
06-10-2008, 06:51 PM
car insurance for me is pretty high too bud. Im only 22. It doesn't drop until Im 25. Im paying 200-300+ regardless