PDA

View Full Version : BLACKFLIE repellant??

yoda
06-07-2008, 01:28 PM
any suggestions for tried but true repellant. They are just terrible this year. Certainly can quash a nice day.
Thanks.

EyelashExtensions
06-07-2008, 05:17 PM
They are really bad this year!! We bought a skeeter vac seems to have helped quite a bit so far.

gouligann
06-07-2008, 11:21 PM
On a hot day or warm evening on your patio, (if you have a small gathering) get yourself a big fan and turn it on towards the table. The wind keeps them blown away.

bluekrissyspikes
06-08-2008, 01:53 AM
if your going in the bush or something try deep woods off. it's slimey and smells like $hit but it's better than being eaten alive. they'll still get you though.

hp2
06-08-2008, 02:44 PM
OK as silly as this sounds.. vanellia works.. also got an email the other day that says straight listerine works.. now dont know if its true or not.. but Heard from a few people whom work construction.. they use it.. and say its the best they have ever used....

*Angel*
06-08-2008, 06:36 PM
My mom uses regular mouthwash (Listerine) sprayed around where you are sitting...works good she says

intuit
06-08-2008, 07:46 PM
received that email about listerine the other day..so we tried it at camp...your suppose to spray the area not yourself...well, honestly, 15 mins later...there was 500000 housefiles all over where I sprayed..........so not sure if it worked....for myself...deep woods off ( the more deet in the product the better) it works great...even keeps the wife away lol.............

Xzavia
06-09-2008, 11:53 AM
We were out in the boonies on Saturday night, it was a spur of the moment kinda thing and we didn't have any bug spray. The people we were visiting brought out the listerine, as they heard it worked. Works alright, must've been a million flies with minty breath after sinking their teeth into us! Thank god for after bite!

kitca
06-10-2008, 09:18 PM
i checked out that listerine and other home concoctions on snopes.com. they say that the only thing that works is deet. adults can use 30% deet and kids under 16 20% and kids under 5 10% and none for kids under 6 months.

we had the no name wallyworld brand this weekend and it was great. no bugs for about 2 hours then they started back again, and we reapplied and they were gone again. they were pretty thick too, if you took a deep breath you'd be inhailing some, lol!

MaO3
06-11-2008, 10:50 AM
A couple of suggestions - the off lamps work well for an area like a patio. They have a little packet that you insert into the top and a candle in the bottom.
http://www.offprotects.com/mosquito-repeller/

Also I just heard yesterday at the vets office (NOT FROM THE VET) that a mixture of - Tea tree oil, vanilla, citronella oil and water in a spray bottle will keep them away from you and your pets. Its safe to spray on animals.
Going to do some research into this and if I can find an actual recipe I'll post it

tippikitty
06-11-2008, 11:23 AM
Well I'm coming to your house JB..../ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif

MaO3
06-11-2008, 11:26 AM
Here are a couple of recipes for both Human and Dog repellants

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Mosquito Repellent for People
I like to use a based of fractionated coconut oil. It is light enough that you can put this formula in a spray bottle, yet it stays on better than something water based. And hey, if my skin can get a little moisture out of the deal then that is a great bonus in my eyes.

60 drops catnip essential oil (this is a 5% dilution)
20 drops lemon eucalyptus essential oil
10 drops lavender essential oil
2 oz. fractionated coconut oil
You can add whatever you like to help this smell better from the list above, but be sure to keep the total percentage of essential oils under 15% for safety.

Tick Repellent for Dogs
Never use essential oils on cats, but this blend has been effective on my dog for years. Ticks seem to dislike the minty / herby / woody scents the most. Always use a water-based solution for fur.

15 drops tea tree essential oil
15 drops lavender essential oil
10 drops cedarwood essential oil
4 oz. distilled water
Always shake well before applying, and avoid your dog's face. Spray liberally elsewhere and repeat as needed. My dog has never gotten a tick while wearing this blend and it smells fabulous.
</div></div>

These are taken from the webdite: The Scentual Life

tippikitty
06-11-2008, 02:34 PM
Awesome!!! I hate freaking bugs!!!

Jackie B
06-12-2008, 07:22 PM
I went to a birthday party in Goulais on Friday. When it was time to leave, I went and opened up the van doors then went back into the house to get the baby and bags and stuff. Holy moly, when I came out, there must have been 200 black flies IN my van. I was having a fit. I could barely see into the car, they were covering every window.I never tore out of m friend's place so fast in my life. LOL Windows down, back hatch up, it must have been quite a site. LOL I stopped at Bellevue Valley Road and 556 and closed er' up. I was going to go to my friend's to "camp" tomorrow, but I can't deal with the flies. *shudders*

Jackie B
06-13-2008, 11:37 AM
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too! I think I'll stick with good ole downtown Sault Ste Marie. For now, anyway. LOL

Jackie B
06-13-2008, 01:14 PM
You selling? You got a house picked out downtown? Didn't you have a house near the mall you talked about selling last year?