PDA

View Full Version : 3G iphone coming july 11th - for 199$

\m/ Rich \m/
06-09-2008, 03:55 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/09/iphone-3g-is-finally-official/

canada is one of the lucky 22 countries that will see these on launch day... pretty attractive price point as well.

mercifulpenguin
06-09-2008, 07:17 PM
lol i was just coming to post this, i've been looking to get a cell phone, i just might hold off
now, is that 199.99 WITH a 3 year contract? cuz that would suck. I checked Rogers' site and it just has a "Something BIG is coming July 11th". I'd sign up for a year and pay 200, but i'm guessing i wont be so lucky...plus, i wonder what the monthly plan will be, do you pay a ton more or is the same as a regular plan... /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif

mercifulpenguin
06-09-2008, 07:19 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: engadget</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Apple hopes to launch in 70 countries this year. 8GB is available for $199, 16GB for $299 -- and the 16GB comes in white. Both pricepoints require a contract</div></div>

dekedawg
06-10-2008, 12:31 AM
Rogers video in the churchill plaza is an excellent place to get the new phone when it is released

mercifulpenguin
06-10-2008, 07:35 AM
lol, is that so
do you guys..er...do 'they' know pricing yet? :p

mercifulpenguin
06-10-2008, 07:35 AM
lol, is that so
do you guys..er...do 'they' know pricing/plans yet? :p

\m/ Rich \m/
06-10-2008, 02:10 PM
sounds like "they" will be getting commission for sellin those buggers too..,

mercifulpenguin
06-10-2008, 04:48 PM
ouff, i was reading it'll likely be $70 a month to utilize the iphone's key features + talk. And that's in the US, so who knows how much Rogers will jack it up, being the only carrier capable of supporting the iphone.

dekedawg
06-10-2008, 06:12 PM
The iphone is competing with rim for the smartphone market. Good phones arent cheap or free but i am going to check the prices this week and will post

DeleteAccout
06-10-2008, 07:14 PM
The iPhone isn't a phone exactly. It's a smartphone on steroids.

It's a phone ... with 3G Technology.
It's got a map system WITH GPS.
Safari Web Browser which supports Youtube
It's a damn IPOD ... *shudder* ... ipod's are crap

It does and has everything lol. You're looking at about 50$ A month for it's features. That's bare minimum mind you. Limited space, and data usage. Unlimited packages are about 99 bones a month. Then on top of that ... iTunes. why anyone would pay for music you can get for free .... baffles me :P

\m/ Rich \m/
06-11-2008, 04:49 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tormented Soul</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The iPhone isn't a phone exactly. It's a smartphone on steroids.

It's a phone ... with 3G Technology.
It's got a map system WITH GPS.
Safari Web Browser which supports Youtube
It's a damn IPOD ... *shudder* ... ipod's are crap

It does and has everything lol. You're looking at about 50$ A month for it's features. That's bare minimum mind you. Limited space, and data usage. Unlimited packages are about 99 bones a month. Then on top of that ... iTunes. why anyone would pay for music you can get for free .... baffles me :P </div></div>

i see the word "jailbreak" is not part of your vocabulary.

Ultra54
06-11-2008, 06:17 AM
I'm looking at entering the 21st century and getting a phone. I'm curious about the "jailbreak" thing Rich, and also the poor cell phone coverage Rogers towers offer north of the city. Any comments?

DeleteAccout
06-12-2008, 02:51 PM
Piracy isn't a concern when you know loopholes lol. You just cant sell it andmake profit. I'd explain but that takes too much energy

\m/ Rich \m/
06-12-2008, 03:31 PM
basically Ultra - with a simply "update" the phone becomes unlocked to third party applications and functions. This means you can do more, making the iphone even cooler.

For those of you with an ipod Touch, the same idea applies... there's a softmod you can apply to turn the Touch into a working phone.

DeleteAccout
06-12-2008, 05:26 PM
just a lil reminder .... "softmodding" it will wipe out your warranty. Dont trry to get them to repair it if you botch it :P

Also ... it's not IDENTICAL to an iPhone .... but it's damn close. You only lose a few features.

DeleteAccout
06-12-2008, 05:28 PM
http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/itouch-modding/80381-ultimate-itouch-modding-guide.html

\m/ Rich \m/
06-12-2008, 06:50 PM
there is actually a way to revert the iphone to the original firmware if you brick it, so no need to worry about warranty.

dekedawg
06-12-2008, 08:35 PM
fyi - i wouldnt mod your phone or your warranty is pooched sol

DeleteAccout
06-12-2008, 09:04 PM
wow ... that's kinda cool. I wish there was a sure fire way to do that with a 360. Then I wouldn't be so scared to mod mine

\m/ Rich \m/
06-12-2008, 09:35 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tormented Soul</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wow ... that's kinda cool. I wish there was a sure fire way to do that with a 360. Then I wouldn't be so scared to mod mine </div></div>

there's a modded 360 on sootodat for 250 right now.

hemi_69
06-12-2008, 10:43 PM
those prices are on a 3 year contract there havent been any other prices released as of yet, not even retail prices, and as of right now unless something changes, for the first little while the will most likely run on the same packages as the blackberry currently does untill there is something more suiting designed specifically for the iphone, also I would hold your breath on too many of them hitting on launch date.

mercifulpenguin
06-12-2008, 10:50 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hemi_69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">those prices are on a 3 year contract there havent been any other prices released as of yet</div></div>

that's because they've gone on record to say the only way you'll leave the store with an iphone is having signed on to a 3 year contract

dekedawg
06-12-2008, 11:46 PM
down south they will fly like hotcakes

apple products dont come cheap

mercifulpenguin
06-13-2008, 07:39 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dekedawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">three yr deal 199.00 and to buy it outright 400 to 500

down south they will fly like hotcakes

apple products dont come cheap </div></div>
ya but in US other carriers can support the iphone, in canada rogers is the only carrier (and fido, but they own fido) that can support the iphone (gsm network or something?) i'm pretty sure it said you could only get it with a 3 year contract

Ultra54
06-13-2008, 11:35 PM
Doesn't matter anyway. Rogers wont work past the Trading Post so it is uselss to me. Can you set up a Touch to use Bell towers?
I just checked and most all those apps for the Touch have been shut down or unavailable.

tired-n-cranky
06-27-2008, 11:42 AM
iphone data plan pricing announced by Rogers.. and it is horrible....

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/080627/to363.html?.v=38

DeleteAccout
06-30-2008, 10:11 PM
Myself personally ... Im going to wait until I find a nice Smart Phone .... iPhones are crap. You cant even use the damn things here :S ... half the crap inside isnt operable /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

hemi_69
06-30-2008, 10:34 PM
if thats official pricing (which i don't believe it is) it's far better than blackberry or mobile 6 devices on the ogers network. and seeing as how only rogers and fido are able to carry the iphone, theres not a whole lot of option lol

\m/ Rich \m/
06-30-2008, 10:36 PM
http://ruinediphone.com/

hemi_69
06-30-2008, 11:34 PM
i can't access that link:(

tired-n-cranky
07-02-2008, 09:54 AM
Yes it is official pricing, see here at rogers.com for confirmation: http://www.rogers.com/web/content/wireless-products/iphone_voice_data_packages

(Jay)
07-02-2008, 01:36 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tormented Soul</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Myself personally ... Im going to wait until I find a nice Smart Phone .... iPhones are crap. You cant even use the damn things here :S ... half the crap inside isnt operable /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif </div></div>

I've been using an iphone for 7 months on Rogers, there's nothing thats not usable on it. In fact even though they weren't on Rogers until now (or next week I guess), the only thing you couldn't use on it was visual voicemail.

As for the pricing plans announced that are crap (I 100% agree), those are just the plans Rogers thinks are best suited for iPhone users. You can use your current plan with the phone. As nice as it would be to have edge available at all times, i've never had a problem with just having wifi as you can grab signal in a lot of places in this city.

Ultra54
07-11-2008, 09:30 PM
launch issues (http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/iPhone-3G-Launch-Day-Headaches-96025)

DeleteAccout
07-12-2008, 01:08 AM
video voicemail would be AWESOME!!!! Why cant we have AT&T here? Even somewhere CLOSE to where we are now? I'd move in a heartbeat.

And Ultra .... I am not sure if I'm scared, or interested by your display picture. When I was a kid, I used to call Ronald McDonald "Rotten Ronny". Kinda makes sense now :P