PDA

View Full Version : Violation of Ontario Building Code?

Cruel_Intentions
06-11-2008, 03:04 AM
removed by choice

lexilou
06-11-2008, 08:06 AM
http://www.city.sault-ste-marie.on.ca/Article_Page.aspx?ID=247&deptid=1
Click on property standards. Some are very interesting.

Cruel_Intentions
06-11-2008, 11:51 AM
All I found in the property standards by-laws was 5.5.2: Every wall requires protection of rigid or other types of insulation

I was thinking it would be more definded in the Building Code

lexilou
06-11-2008, 12:38 PM
I believe I just provided the building code for you. It is the same thing. It is a very comprehensive description of what is required by the city as per each property/building. I'm sorry if it does not support your assumption, but your opinion described above does not seem to be supported by the by-law.

The closest by-law I can find is 5.5.2 which I am assuming means that walls must be of adequate material. An example being it cannot be a hung sheet.

Cruel_Intentions
06-11-2008, 01:03 PM
that is not the Ontario building code, it's just City Bylaws that supplemnt the building code. Here's the link http://www.obc.mah.gov.on.ca/PageFactory.aspx?PageID=107

b&aMom
06-11-2008, 03:05 PM
Are you sure that they put the drywall right against the concrete, not against a stud wall, first? If they did attach it to the concrete, how did they do it? Drywall on concrete below grade would mean mold for sure, the drywall acting as a sponge in wicking the moisture out of the concrete, which would be wicking it out of the ground. Yes, you should have a vapour barrier, I believe that is code.

Isn't Macs in construction? Maybe he could be of some help in getting info.

hp2
06-11-2008, 03:09 PM
Well I will tell you IT HAS TO HAVE VAPOUR BARRIER of a certian thickness and the only reason I know this is our basment will be finished when complete.. and OUR vapour barrier inspection is very shortly... it also had to be calked with black tar type calking on all seams of plastic...

Cruel_Intentions
06-11-2008, 03:40 PM
sorry, should have been more specific, there is a stud wall. I just meant that there was nothing (insulation, vapor barrier) between the cement and sheet rock

Tutones
06-11-2008, 06:22 PM
Many building code requirements apply only to NEW builds and do not necessarily apply when retrofitting an older building... read carefully.