PDA

View Full Version : world's fastest supercomputer

Hans
06-12-2008, 11:49 AM
A machine that for the first time has performed 1,000 trillion calculations per second in a sustained exercise.

To put the computer's speed in perspective, if every one of the 6 billion people on earth used a hand-held computer and worked 24 hours a day it would take them 46 years to do what the Roadrunner computer can do in a single day.

The interconnecting system occupies 6,000 square feet with 57 miles of fiber optics and weighs 500,000 pounds. Although made from commercial parts, the computer consists of 6,948 dual-core computer chips and 12,960 cell engines, and it has 80 terabytes of memory.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/06/09/fastest.computer.ap/index.html

I wonder how Crysis runs on this system.

maltb
06-12-2008, 12:12 PM
doesn't really impress me much, multi core systems, and interconnecting cell engines, have been around for a long time now. The parts and components keep getting better and better, the concept of multi core or running a bunch of cpu's in series is nothing new. The first supercomputer was The ENIAC which was first developed back in 1949 and it took the world by storm. Originally, it was built to solve problems that would ordinarily take several months or years to figure out. This is why some of us use computers today but ENIAC was build with a single purpose.

Really if you have PS3 or even xbox 360 for that matter, your running a mini supercomputer...the PS3 or 360 can do a crap load more work than any consumer computer, even with quad core architecture...at this rate game consoles potential are huge leap above what a household computer can do. I'd like to know what the FPS would be on Crysis, or better yet a bunch of highed vid cards running in SLI or Crossfire mode, lol...i bet the FPS would be wonderful, lol.