PDA

View Full Version : LAPAROSCOPIC TREATMENT FOR REFLUX DISEASE (GERD)

LettuceLady
06-14-2008, 10:48 PM
Has anyone had this surgery with any success? I am taking Nexium right now (40 mg once a day) and Domperidone. Ive only been on the Nexium for 3 weeks and its "ok" so far - the Domperidone for almost a year. I have 3 more weeks to go on the Nexium. I have been on quite a few medications in the past 9 years since showing symptoms. I am beyond fed up and would just like to be able to enjoy a meal for once. So far I have been told not to have caffeine, tomatoes, citrus (including juices), cranberry juice, greasy foods (which is fine because I havent eaten them in years), liquor, onions and chocolate. Because being vegan isnt hard enough now I have those foods/juiced to add to my list of things to not eat /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif
I have been having a few very small meals a day and that works for the most part. I find that when I am stressed or anxious, its a lot worse as is when PMS kicks in.
Any help is appreciated.

pokey
06-15-2008, 02:10 AM
Hi LL, I don't remember the medical name for it but are you talking about the laparoscopic surgery where they basically wrap the top part of your stomach around your esophagus so that the acid can no longer go up causing the burning etc.?

If you are, I had that surgery a few years ago with amazing results. I had the same symptoms as you and the same meds with no relief for years also. I went thru periods of just eating cream of wheat because it was all that didn't give me heartburn.

The surgery was not bad at all, five very small incisions, but had to be on a liquid diet afterwards for I think three months(its been a while now) then had to slowly introduce soft foods. Now I can eat anything I want without getting reflux. It really has made such a difference, I can't believe that it was so bad before. I take no meds at all for it now and had been on diff. pills for at least 15 years.

Let me know if you have any more questions, I'm your cousin in the Soo in case you don't know my soonet name /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

(looked it up and is called 'laparoscopic Nissen fundoplication surgery')

Sophie's_Mommy
06-15-2008, 04:41 PM
i have real bad heart burn all the time, my doctor prescribed me pariet and they work awesome, since the very first night i started taking it i have not once had heartburn. But seeing how im going to be breast feeding i can not take them then. So back to rolaids which sucks [censored].
As for the surgery i dont know anyone who had it done, but i do know pariet works wonders..

LettuceLady
06-15-2008, 05:37 PM
I have been on Pariet already /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif
Domperidone can be used if you are breast feeding.

kitty&mimi
06-16-2008, 02:16 PM
i had it bad this past winter, although i didnt know what was wrong with me, i had just general abdominal pain, i guess it was indigestion/acid reflux so i went on zantac which works amazingly well for me
i weened myself off, and occasionally i get it and i either take zantac or (i have discovered recently) apple cider vinegar works great too, it has to be organic,....u might be beyond the apple cider vinegar for help but hey, wouldn't hurt to try right?

LettuceLady
06-17-2008, 09:26 PM
K&M, I was at Romes today and bought the pills. I doubt that it will cure me but I am hoping that it will atleast help. It seems to do a lot of other things too, not just acid reflux. I did hear of it before but didnt know that it came in a pill /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif It makes it a lot easier to swallow although it smells /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

kitty&mimi
06-17-2008, 09:46 PM
ya im not sure what works better--pills or the actual stuff, but the real stuff is nasty, so it must do something! LOL