PDA

View Full Version : Help from bassplayers

fenderbass
06-23-2008, 07:51 PM
Ok so I'm thinking of an upgrade on my P-Bass. But i'm stuck at
what Pickups i would like. I've used basslines from Seymor Duncan
but not the Quarter pounders. and now i'm thinking of active
from EMG P OR BASSLINE Lightening rods. What i'm asking is if you have or would upgrade what would you chose and why. I know a good bit about pickups but just want input! thanks

STB
06-23-2008, 08:32 PM
I think it would depend on your pre-amp. Actives are going give you that thump but not that warmth that the passives get.I have a nice bledable tube/ss pre so I can dial in thumpy. I also use passive quarter pounders on my P. So if you've got a nice pre I would go with overwound Lindy Fralins. I've heard nothing but good things about these.STB

Greenman
06-24-2008, 07:11 AM
Carey Nordstrand makes the best pickups period. I'd go NP4's.
http://www.nordstrandpickups.com/bass-pickups/traditional/traditional.html

Saultman
06-26-2008, 05:51 PM
I use EMG's (soapbar 35P4 I think...) through a Yorkville YDI-1P passive DI Box. No effects just straight into the box and have had many a sound guy comment on the great tone that they get from my bass. Maybe the tone is coming from my fingers? (Yeah right, its the pickups trust me! lol) Anyhow, these are active pickups, full volume 1 and 2 and tone all the way up as well. EMG does make the p-bass pickup as well as I am sure you know by your post. They sound great through my amp as well but that is not as true a tale as being direct to front of house. I've had nothing but positive comments about the EMG's. So if you want something that is plug and play for big shows (kinda like a 58), will give you great tone and keep the sound guy happy go with EMG. Now if you are heading to the studio and want a distint sound thats another thing for another thread. P bass I would go with the EMG's J bass Bartolini, but it all comes down to personal tastes I guess. Maybe head to the local music stores and try some basses with different brands of pickups in them. Ask some bass players from around town to try their basses even. Good luck and keep the music live!

fenderbass
06-26-2008, 10:21 PM
thanks to all of you ideas. but i have ordered a set of seymor ducan quarter pounders. I've had good luck with Seymor Duncan in the past. I had almost ordered the EMG-P Active pickups. but they aren't out till July. And i need them before the July 18th show we are playing.

HBomb
06-27-2008, 12:51 AM
I don't know a thing about pickups but I have some 1/4ers in my P-bass and I think they sound great.

OU812
06-27-2008, 11:26 AM
i've used bartolini's (in my curbow), emg's (in the spector ) and the quarter pounder (fender p-bass). the stock fender pickup does lack. the quarter pounder is much better and warmer. now, the actives blow any of the passives i have. i don't think it's a matter of punch as much as it is definition and clarity on the entire spectrum ( lows, mids, and highs). you may be able to configure actives without routing , but then you need access to the battery. not easy. good luck . i've rodded everything i own and i'm an electronics tech so feel free to ask if you need any advise. later

Greenman
06-27-2008, 05:58 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OU812</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> i'm an electronics tech so feel free to ask if you need any advise. later </div></div>

Here all along I thought you were a moose hunter. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/computer.gif

Happy birthday young fellow.

fenderbass
06-27-2008, 09:58 PM
I just went with the name i trust. I've had EMG's before and never had problems with them. But if i was going to spend the money on EMG then they were going to be active. But batt. access was going to pose a problem. So passive it is