PDA

View Full Version : Circumcision

rmkryan
06-29-2008, 12:40 PM
Hey

I was just wondering what peoples opinions were on circumcision for adults or kids and why or why not you think it should be done.

bluekrissyspikes
06-29-2008, 01:32 PM
Well, as a woman i think that it just looks better if it is circumcised. I personally think foreskins are gross but that's just my opinion. There are some things i just wouldn't do with a guy who is not circumcised. That being said, i have 2 boys that are not circumcised because i did not want them to go through that pain, even though they would be too young to remember. I would also be worried that the doctor would take off either too much(i have seen this before along with some pretty bad scaring) or not enough(then it's kind of pointless) skin and the effects this could have on the child in the future. i've also heard some pretty bad stories about babies getting bad infections because of the circumsion. it is a lot more common now to not have it done than it is to have it done. I've also had a couple guys tell me that they wish they hadn't been done and i considered that as well when i decided not to get my boys done. it was kinda funny, i asked what they would wish for if they could have anything and got the answer 'my foreskin'...lol

puppy
06-29-2008, 01:34 PM
http://www.soonet.ca/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=365655&page=10&fpart=1

here are some other opinions on it from before

Intangible
06-29-2008, 05:02 PM
My opinion is that it is not necessary and I chose to not circumcise my son.
I think it originally was done for religious reasons, and then it became so common about 30 years ago, that people didn't question it. It was just done and that was it.
Today, more people are questioning it, likely for the reason that it isn't covered by OHIP. It is not medically necessary. If you teach your son proper hygiene, he can keep it clean. Just like you teach them to clean behind their ears, you teach them to clean their foreskin. I also believe that more boys are not done today, compared to those that are, so I don't think they will look any different from the majority.
Finally, I couldn't stomach the idea of having my newborn son strapped down and having his foreskin cut off while he is awake and screaming (local anaesthetic or not, that has to hurt).
That being said, I do not think that anyone who chooses to have this done is a bad person, or wrong. It is a personal decision, and this is just my opinion.

no name brand!
06-29-2008, 07:43 PM
well in my opinion my son is not done either,could not do it to him..and i never dated anyone not done,and really avoid it. Until i met my BF..i have no issues with it now, he is way more sensitive than any other guy, i have been with..freaky sensative compared to cut guys...I am glad i left my son as is..and its true,keep it clean..no issues..I may have not got to know the great guy i have now had i stuck to my idea.

DeleteAccout
06-29-2008, 07:59 PM
Reasons Many Parents Choose Circumcision

Research studies suggest that there are some good medical why your son should be circumcised. These include:

Circumcision lowers your sonís chances of getting a urinary tract infection (UTI) in the first year of life.

Although a rare condition, cancer of the [censored] is essentially eliminated in circumcised males.

Research shows that males who are circumcised have a slightly lower risk of getting sexually transmitted diseases (STDs).

Circumcision eliminates foreskin infection that occur at the peak ages of 3 to 5 years.

Circumcision prevents phimosis, a narrow opening that makes it impossible to retract the foreskin at a later age.

Genital hygiene, which is particularly important in unsanitary conditions, may be easier after circumcision.

Reasons Many Parents Choose Not To Circumcise

There are also good reasons why parents choose NOT to have their son circumcised. Circumcision may be more risky if done later in life. Parents should try to make a decision about circumcision before or soon after their son is born and not wait until later.

As with all kinds of surgery, circumcision has some risks. Although uncommon, complication such as local infection and bleeding can occur as a result of the circumcision. On rare occasions, the foreskin may be cut too short or too long, or circumcision may heal improperly. Since many parents see circumcision as a cosmetic procedure, they choose not to have their son exposed to these risks.

Many view the foreskin as an important part of the human body that is necessary for the protection of the [censored]. If the foreskin is removed, the exposed end of the [censored] may become irritated and cause the opening of the [censored] to become too small. This may cause difficulty in urination and may need to be surgically corrected.

Many also believe that the removal of the foreskin can desensitize the tip of the [censored], causing a decrease in sexual pleasure later in life.

Almost all uncircumcised Boys can be taught proper hygiene that can lower their chances of getting infections, cancer of the [censored], and sexually transmitted diseases

ALL INFO TAKEN FROM http://www.pedsurology.com/circumci.htm

My personal opinion on the matter ... I was circumcised. Im glad I was. Reasons being ... yes ... I think it looks better. I dont like my body a whole lot as it is ... but that's one thing I can think of that'd make it worse. Also ... As you can see from the above ... UTI's and STD's are more likely to be contracted .... again ... another plus.

It's all a matter of personal preferation..... didnt they change it from free at birth to a small fee back in the late 80's?

Larimar
06-29-2008, 11:45 PM
ooh, I don't believe in having that done for a lot of reasons, I'd rather PM if anyone is really really interested in my thoughts (probably not lol), but I'd rather not get too deep into this contraversial/personal issue lol.

(okay I did in a post-but only b.c the myths were killin me)

Chaotic Chick
06-30-2008, 07:58 AM
I just think it is unnecessary. My husband and I are strongly against circumcision and have had some heated arguments with people about it lol. At least against circumcision of babies. If an adult male needs to be circumcised for medical reasons, that is a different story.

When I was pregnant with my son, I had so much anxiety over whether or not I would have the procedure done. I had 3 girls before him and it was never something I had to think about. So I researched it on the internet, talked to doctors, family members, etc. Had I not talked to family members, I would not have heard the horror stories about what happened to a couple of my cousins. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif Their circumcisions were "botched". It may not have affected them physically as adults but it certainly did mentally. So that was one thing that changed my views about it.

I also could not even stand to think about purposely letting my son go through pain, as brief as it was. People who were for the procedure kept telling me that he was "only a baby" and wouldn't remember it. That did not make me feel better! They also told me that I should have it done for hygenic reasons. My doctor told me that should not be an issue, and to just teach him how to clean himself when he was very young. That way, he would probably never get an infection. (He is 9 now and so far, he did not have thrush as a baby and has not had a UTI).

When I asked the doctor about circumcision, he told me how much it would cost. I asked why it was no longer free and he told me that was because it is not a necessary procedure which made me think it over carefully as well.

Those are just some of the many reasons I decided against it.

DeleteAccout
06-30-2008, 03:07 PM
Once again, It's all a matter of personal opinion. If you prefer to wear a turtleneck all year round, giver. Myself, I enjoy wearing my cut off shirt :P

givememore
07-01-2008, 10:03 AM
But if your mother dressed you in a turtleneck, you wouldn't know what a short sleeve shirt felt like!

rmkryan
07-02-2008, 03:50 AM
Has anyone gone through the procedure as an adult and have some insight?

MissMuffett
07-02-2008, 10:43 AM
http://www.circinfo.com/prepandcare/pac.html

hope this helps /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

MissMuffett
07-02-2008, 10:54 AM
I am all for circumcision in babys and adults. I personally will never ever sleep with someone who was uncut! My personally preference. and im not keen on getting cervical cancer, nor do i want my son to give his wife cervical cancer! I have done plenty of years of research and spoken to both sides of the argument and i am 100% certain that it needs to be done! Every procedure has a risk! I want my son to be able to pee straight, i want my son to not smell under his forskin, i want my son to not transmit virus under his forskin and give it to his wife or partner. There are many other reasons why i agree to this procedure , i wish it was more accessible to have it done.. Im sure once the american board of pediatrics reviews their stance on circumcision it will be more available to have this procedure done!

bluekrissyspikes
07-02-2008, 11:38 AM
that cancer myth is not proven. there are just as many sites saying it's not true and there's no proof as there are sites saying it's true. if you aren't sleeping around you wont get hpv and hpv does not necessarily lead to cancer

blueeyedgirl
07-02-2008, 01:05 PM
Even someone who is not sleeping around can get HPV.
There are many sites that prove and disprove all the reasons that eyezofanangel has pointed out. For my son we chose not to have it done for many different reasons. If he wants it done then he can do it when he is an adult and can make the choice for himself.

puppy
07-02-2008, 01:42 PM
i got circed and never have a problem at all...i think it is a good thing to have done..lot easier to keep it clean and less chance of diseases hiding in the foreskin...

blueeyedgirl
07-02-2008, 02:43 PM
And my son is not circ and so far no problems here. Easy to keep clean if you teach your child proper hygiene. I will never tell someone what they should not do or should do with their child because that is not my place. It is up to each parent and person to educate themselves and make their decisions based on what they beleive is the right thing for their child. No matter where you look you will find info to support both sides.

Larimar
07-04-2008, 04:58 PM
Intact males shouldn't feel gross or unclean, b.c they are totally normal-Many people are intact now! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sunflower.gif
It's natural, they were born that way, and everyone should be diligent in their hygiene-Males who are circumcized and would be untidy have lowered the risk by insignificant amounts. Those that are intact and keep clean are statistically at the same risk level as those circumcised (Translation: There is no difference worth a doctors care). There is no known cause to cancer in that area (There is speculation about the cancer being associated with other symptoms) and it is such a rare disease that it isn't worth worrying about.
You hear how it lowers the risk of cancer, but by how much?
The studies I've found were about men who already had HPV and had multiple sex partners. The circumcized men were only 25 % less likely to pass on the virus to ever result in a cancer later on. That's not even half! That's statistically irrelevant! For those that aren't statistically inclined..this means the study failed to prove anything.

Keeping clean is appropriate for all humans, and just b.c someone is circumcized won't necessarily mean that they have no STD's or are cleanly.
It is not a preventative and anyone can have unprotected sex and not tell the next person.

What does this translate too? - It's better to be with an intact male who is faithful and clean then it is to be with a circumcized male with multiple partners.

I'm so tired of people who are under this false impression that intact males are unclean-That's the same impression other cultures have on intact females-Thought Process is the same.
I'm all for the belief that circumcision is a personal choice and that it has it's pros and cons.
-I would though, like to make a point of letting people know that intact males shouldn't have to feel less clean.

And for the record..There is no such thing as a cancer that is contagious. There are viruses, HPV's, but not cancers. The viruses are contagious by unprotected sex or from blood to blood contact-It has nothing to do with whether someone is intact or not. The foreskin actually contains cells that fight against infections-the risk of HIV (tho probably also insignificantly) increases with the foreskin off. Circumcision is not without its downfalls health wise.

buh byes /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

rmkryan
07-05-2008, 09:45 AM
Has anyone gone through the procedure as an adult or no someone who has?

Intangible
07-05-2008, 12:05 PM
Dreamspirit: "The circumcized men were only 25 % less likely to have cervical cancer."

How does a man get cervical cancer when men don't have a cervix?

The only cancer stats I ever found surrounding circumcision involved penile cancer. It is an extremely rare cancer in the first place, and not statistically significantly higher in uncircumcised men.

Larimar
07-06-2008, 12:39 AM
Sorry about that intangible, I must have meant to give it and was watching TV while writing :p

error fixed ! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I agree that cancer there is rare-here's more info

"Preston established quite clearly that there was little evidence to support a relationship between lack of circumcision and penile cancer, cervical cancer, or cancer of the prostate in 1970 but he was unable to identify the causative agent at that time,6 while Leitch7 did the same in Australia.

Gellis (1978) said there are more deaths from circumcision than from cancer of the [censored]."

"Boczko et al. found numerous reports of penile cancer in circumcised men, thus conclusively disproving Wolbarst's false claims of protection from penile cancer by circumcision"

"In "Circumcision: An American Health Fallacy," Edward Wallerstein writes14: "If infant circumcision reduces penile cancer we could expect to see proportionately less penile cancer in circumcising nations as compared to noncircumcising ones. No such difference is found." Wallerstein reports that, for various years between 1966 and 1972, the annual rate of new cases of penile cancer was 0.8 for the United States (which circumcises), and 0.5 for Finland, 0.9 for Denmark and 1.1 for both Norway and Sweden (all of which do not). None of these differences is statistically significant. Further, within the same time frame, both France and the United States had the same rate, 0.3, of deaths due to penile cancer"

http://www.cirp.org/library/disease/cancer/

rmkryan
07-12-2008, 06:47 PM
Would anyone recomend getting it done if it's tight and at times painful to pull back? I was told that may get worse with age.

bluekrissyspikes
07-13-2008, 09:50 AM
i'm not a guy or a doctor but if it's causing you problems that will only get worse i'd certainly consider it.

Anapeg
07-13-2008, 03:55 PM
I know of a good friend who had the procedure done while in his forties. The pain in his words was incredible and lasted a week or two. He was forced to wear loose fitting jogging pants and no tighty whiteys until the healing was complete. I'm all most sixty and all the play ground equipment is complete as ordered with no obvious malfunctions as yet. I neither have nor have I caused cancer in my bride of almost forty years.

rmkryan
07-14-2008, 03:32 PM
Did he feel it was worth going through the procdure afterwards when everything healed?

margie
07-14-2008, 03:40 PM
sure its alot cleaner being circumsized although temporarily painfull, its cleaner when you wash down there

Anapeg
07-14-2008, 11:30 PM
I really don't know how he felt we never discussed it. It never came up, so to speak. As for being a lot cleaner "down there" I resent the implication. If a person showers, baths, and or washes "down there" with any regularity one is as clean as the other.

rmkryan
07-15-2008, 11:16 AM
Has anyone willingly had it done as an adult or know someone who has? Did they feel it was the right thing to do and worth it?

bluekrissyspikes
07-15-2008, 11:18 AM
maybe you should try looking on a medical forum instead of a local forum. i bet there are a lot of people willing to share that information but they don't seem to be on here.

tippikitty
07-17-2008, 01:54 PM
I had a boyfriend who had it done when he was 20....OMFG I've never seen anything that looked so painful in my life. I wasn't allowed to go near him for weeks. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif Waking up in the morning with a pee hard on was brutal too.

But after all said and done, it was great, for him too. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif

rmkryan
07-17-2008, 08:08 PM
So after all the pain and everything he felt it was worth it? Was it for you? May I ask the reason he got it done?

tippikitty
07-17-2008, 08:16 PM
Yes it was worth it for me! and who cares about him! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif just kidding. It was worth it.

The reason he had it done was because the foreskin was too tight and it would become painful at times.

Seeing and being a part of that process made it easy for me to decide that if I ever had a boy I would definitely get it done at birth or shortly after. Just not worth it IMO.

Sophie's_Mommy
07-17-2008, 08:22 PM
i ve watched it being done on you tube and these poor baby boys are in so much pain, they do not even numb them or put them to sleep, it is horrible to hear them scream bloody murder like that, it hurts them so much, i would never do it to my son if i had a boy, after watching the pain and hearing them scream kit would be mean of me to do so, i have had bf's who have a foreskin and there is no problems with them and sex is no different with someone who is circumcised and someone who is not. those who are not circumcised and have problems later in life are very rare. I think it is mean. watch a video on you tube of it being done, then ask yourself after watching it if u would do that to your baby. JMO

hp2
07-17-2008, 10:04 PM
Well I watched my son get done 5 yrs ago.. as I was told I had to be in the room.. as for straping down that little body formed thing YES THEY DO DO IT.. only at feet as I was at the other end.. HE was almost 1 month old.. they froze it with a cream then numbed it with a local.. was he awake. YES he was.. LAUGHING and smiling.. Did he scream NOPE he did not.. Did it affect him after NO... I SEEN MY SON GET DONE and its not what them videos show..

with my other son.. they took him Put the cream on him as well and froze it takes less then 5 mins to do and No affect after NO different then getting his 2 month needles.. drove all the way home from elliot lake with him..

If I ever had another baby I WOULD tape it and post on here for all to see MY SONS neither of them CRIED...

Maybe I was lucky....

MissMuffett
07-17-2008, 11:35 PM
My son was given a creme as well and was frozen.. He only cried @ the end when they gave him a bottle and it was empty. LOL.. we took him home and he never ever flinched when changing his diaper and he never had any issues from his circumcision. and im 100% certain that i would do it again!!!!!

Anapeg
07-18-2008, 09:55 AM
I had no idea they now numbed the area. That would relegate my only fear for the procedure to oblivion

Cherry Sweet
08-25-2008, 05:46 AM
http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=77&ContentID=92426

http://www.mcgill.ca/newsroom/news/?ItemID=26068

http://www.physorg.com/news86339340.html

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1141513

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/fishman/2006/circumcision.html

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15593753/

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2007/07/27/circumcision-sensation.html

http://www.circinfo.com/parents_guide/gfp.html

http://www.modern-psychiatry.com/circumcision.htm

even the World health Organization is recommending it now: