PDA

View Full Version : Mirena IUD

Giggle Squirt
07-04-2008, 04:10 PM
If anyone has had a mirena iud inserted please message me i have some questions. I got a regular copper T switched for a mierna IUD and i didn't think their would be any difference.. PLease pm me.

Teddy_Gurl
07-04-2008, 09:38 PM
Can you feel the IUD in there? I recently started the Patch for birth control, but someone I don't think it can be all that effective if it wrinkles and peels off easily. Was thinking of the Mirena, but wondered if it hurts being inserted. Thanks!

Giggle Squirt
07-06-2008, 05:45 PM
well tosay it is pain free is a lie. it hurts like bad period cramps but take midol before you go.... and then some tylenol after and it is fine no you cant feel anything.. I personally love iud's but i was reading on line and some people who have migranes really bad reported that their migranes got worse. I have had migranes since i was little and on the pill and such i got them really bad still but with the iud i have not had any..

kitca
07-06-2008, 09:02 PM
i had the mirena because i was having such horrible bleeding periods. the information i was reading was saying there are more hormones in mirena and it really helps with bad periods. i got the feeling it was more for problem cycles rather than birth control, but i could be wrong. anyway, it helped quite a bit.

however, i went to a different obgyn and they said that with the mirena i should have barely any bleeding, and what i was having was a more normal person period. anyway, mine dislodged and started to fall out after 3-4 years (i think it is only good for 5 years then you need a new one)

so far i have been ok, but if i need to i will get it again. i had no problems at all, didnt know it was in there (till it came out) yes, any iud is going to hurt going in, you get a really big cramp, then little cramps like maneater explained ,but it is not all that bad.

dladydi601
07-07-2008, 11:37 AM
i had mirena for bleeding also, it was done three years ago no problem, i didnt know it was for contraception either i just thought it was for problem cycles. i was told it's good for five years also, but don't know about another one after. if it where up to me i'd have every year it has helped so much. but i was told maybe within a year menstration would stop completly. it hasn't stop completly, but i'm happy hardly nothing anymore. it did pinch going in like period cramps but its worth the results.

lotsagifts
07-08-2008, 08:21 PM
I have a mirena as well. Been almost a year since insertion and after 3 months had no bleeding or maybe a small amount of spotting. I still feel crampy around that time of month though.

I had the mirena inserted because I have endometriosis. I have had surgery twice because of it and was looking at a hysterectomy. The mirena was that last option.

Thankfully I can say that I am a success story. I was very scared going into it because the regular IUD was a horror for me. It was absolutely unbearable, but now with the mirena I have an active almost pain free life now. I am so grateful.

As for the insertion, I did feel a quite a bit of pain but the doctor was also performing a uterine biopsy at the same time. I thought I was going to faint, but it passed. I don't think it was all due to the mirena though.

Also after the first six weeks, the doctor had to snip the end of the "string" off. (This is a little embarrassing to admit but you asked so here goes...it was noticable during sex and caused some discomfort to mild pain.) But once the doctor snipped it, it was all good from there /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif (Thank heavens, lol)

I guess I should also explain that the "snipping of the string" was uncomfortable but was nothing to worry about either. No pain at all. More embarrassing than anything to learn the reason why. lol

Giggle Squirt
07-09-2008, 10:03 PM
Ya, my doctor switched the normal idu out for a minera because i have PSOD... and instead of taking hormones and having the iud.. they put the mirena in which releases hormones on it's own. but i was just wondering if anyone has had any nasty side effects. And because of the PSOD i have not had a peroid since aug of 2006... but i somehow managed to get preggers in feb of 07...:P and nothing since...

Jackie B
07-11-2008, 11:36 PM
I was really hopeful about Mirena not only for birth control, but also because of it's regulation of PMS symptoms, and went for an appointment to find out more the other day. I found out though that it doesn't prevent an egg from releasing, so you can totally get pregnant on it, and your uterus is just not favourable for maintaining a pregnancy. The fertilized egg will just get flushed out of your system. For me that's not an option. Just wasn't sure if everyone knew that or not.