PDA

View Full Version : Dumbest Car Owner

Barry Morris
07-08-2008, 09:43 PM
Anybody got any horror stories. Mboy shoud be good for a few.

Had a guy come in and say something was wrong with his brakes. I popped the cap off the master cylinder and the rubber cap seal inside popped out the size of a dinner plate. Seems the guy put automatic transmission fluid in there. Oh well, about a grand later.

Canwrench
07-08-2008, 10:59 PM
Rubber hose with 3 clamps for brake lines and wounder why cant get a peddle out of it.
Every thing you can think of but water in the master cylinders
oil in the windshield washers
single flars on brake lines that are only half done
rotors on 2wd trucks and leave the inner bearings out and drive it in with the rotors falling off

People should just not be able to work on or fix cars at home

Jack Butler
07-09-2008, 12:15 AM
Need I say more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpnXIXgstMQ

washawee
07-09-2008, 09:29 AM
was at a gas station and a guy put gasoline in his diesel jetta.. thought that was kind of funny

Barry Morris
07-09-2008, 09:37 AM
Funny? My wife did that once to OUR car. Rats.

hp2
07-09-2008, 11:05 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: polaris</div><div class="ubbcode-body">was at a gas station and a guy put gasoline in his diesel jetta.. thought that was kind of funny </div></div>

what about the gas attendent that puts deisel in a truck thats gas...

ERRRRRRR it was really much an annoyance to clean it out and get things back to running properly again...

Boss
07-10-2008, 06:48 AM
changed a idler arm on a vehicle, released to customer and he came back a short time later saying that now the vehicle would not idle! "Here's Your Sign!!"

CrowellPhotographs
07-10-2008, 10:18 AM
When I was working for Ontario Parks, we had a camper who had 6 large gas cans 3 with 32:1 mix for his old outboard motor, 3 straight gas for his van. Guess which ones he filled his van with.
"I couldn't remember if I drew a star on the mixed gas ones or the others"-camper

CrowellPhotographs
07-10-2008, 10:23 AM
45 minute tow to chapleau........300$+
flush of gas lines.......................400$+(I don't really know, I've never been that stupid)
Dumbest Camper of the year award.....you got it...........PRICELESS

Timbit
07-10-2008, 10:59 PM
can't put diesel in a gas car...the gas pump nozzle is too big won't fit...however the gas will go in a diesel...that's scary stuff... lol poor Barry :P

Barry Morris
07-10-2008, 11:13 PM
Then there was the guy who had one of those diesel Oldsmobiles years back, converted to gas, whose buddy thought it was still diesel. Oh well.

_daynzy
07-11-2008, 09:24 AM
saw an old lady last summer riding around on two donuts in a red caravan.. one on the front right, and another on the rear left.. i lol'd

hp2
07-11-2008, 10:15 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Timbit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">can't put diesel in a gas car...the gas pump nozzle is too big won't fit...however the gas will go in a diesel...that's scary stuff... lol poor Barry :P
</div></div>

WRONG... ask the hubby about the old 76 dodge we had... HE WILL TELL You as he gets pissed doing it.. THE only time we loaned the truck out and it come back like that.

which I will add it was not the drivers fault as he is also very mechanically inclined.. and was quiet upset also.. THE gas station were ****s to deal with as well and we have never been back..

fenderbass
07-11-2008, 09:24 PM
Lets see i had a car come in for poor fuel milage and no power
when i checked the air filter i had found it was still in its plastic rap..Yes the guy was Italian but he was not happy to see plastic on his filter..I've seen fuel filter installed backwards
lots of times. I think the best i've seen is a valve body on a trans installed with silicon. Yup it didn't shift at all it was towed in. The best red neck fix i've seen was a drive shaft that sheared in two. And the owner was in the bush he used a baseball bat and gear clamps the reassemble the shaft and limped out of the bush so he could get it towed in. When i seen the fix i was amazed it worked. Although he said he couldn't drive very fast and had to put screws throught the shaft into the batt..I think he was more p issed about the batt.

Jack Butler
07-11-2008, 10:04 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fender bass 60</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lets see i had a car come in for poor fuel milage and no power
when i checked the air filter i had found it was still in its plastic rap..Yes the guy was Italian but he was not happy to see plastic on his filter..I've seen fuel filter installed backwards
lots of times. I think the best i've seen is a valve body on a trans installed with silicon. Yup it didn't shift at all it was towed in. The best red neck fix i've seen was a drive shaft that sheared in two. And the owner was in the bush he used a baseball bat and gear clamps the reassemble the shaft and limped out of the bush so he could get it towed in. When i seen the fix i was amazed it worked. Although he said he couldn't drive very fast and had to put screws throught the shaft into the batt..I think he was more p issed about the batt. </div></div>

The baseball bat is brilliant.
That definitely racks right up there.

fenderbass
07-12-2008, 03:27 AM
yes logers will do anything to get out of the bush..i have more and will post them

Barry Morris
07-12-2008, 10:53 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jack Butler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fender bass 60</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lets see i had a car come in for poor fuel milage and no power
lots of times. I think the best i've seen is a valve body on a trans installed with silicon. Yup it didn't shift at all it was towed in. The best red neck fix i've seen was a drive shaft that sheared in two. And the owner was in the bush he used a baseball bat and gear clamps the reassemble the shaft and limped out of the bush so he could get it towed in. When i seen the fix i was amazed it worked. Although he said he couldn't drive very fast and had to put screws throught the shaft into the batt..I think he was more p issed about the batt. </div></div>

The baseball bat is brilliant.
That definitely racks right up there.

</div></div>

That IS brilliant!! Way better than walking!! Or coming back to your truck gutted!!

mboy67
07-12-2008, 12:33 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Timbit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">can't put diesel in a gas car...the gas pump nozzle is too big won't fit...however the gas will go in a diesel...that's scary stuff... lol poor Barry :P
</div></div>

Wrong had a customer once have his car towed in to the shop. He had a 1970 Mercedes (older cars don't have the small nozzle hole). The kid at the gas station filled it up with diesel and when asked why he said he thought all Mercedes were diesels. needless to say the owner of the station paid for us to empty out the tank clean the lines and get it running again on Gas lol.

fenderbass
07-12-2008, 07:55 PM
When i was in WAWA the MNR had bought three new AWD Safari vans from us. One van was towed back to the shop with an oil leak
it had about 5000kms on by this time. The driver of the van had thought AWD was 4WD. She had sheared the front lower valance of the van slammed a hole through the oil pan and poked a hole through the transfer case. But she still tried to drive out and it wasn't long before the motor gave up and the transfercase was dry. Yup now thats using your brains!!

corn316
07-12-2008, 10:40 PM
when i lived in t.o i was working at a good year tire shop and this east indian fellow came in and said my motor is making noise so we brought it in and inspected it we discoverd that it was a brand new van qith 35 000 km we check the oil and it was black and tar like we ask him when he change his oil last and he said ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO CHANGE OIL the oils was more sludge than anything els he was lucky that the motor didnt blow due to lack of oil changes

Barry Morris
07-13-2008, 10:08 PM
I worked on some cab compny vans a few years back that ran right through the warranty without an oil change.

And how many guys have just put their heads down when the wife comes in and says, "Dear, that little red light came on last Thursday and it still hasn't gone out!"

07-17-2008, 11:43 PM
When I was working at a gas station, an older couple came in complaining that their car wasn't running well, and was there any whay I could help them out, or at least give them advice.

I went out, and it sounded like there were at least 3 or 4 connecting rods ready to make an appearance through the block.

Turns out, the guy had done his own oil changed, and ran some enjine flush through before draining the old oil. The instructions had said to rev the engine up for 4 minutes before draining.

He admitted that he put it to the floor to rev it and left it at the floor for the full four minutes.

"Here's yer sign!"