PDA

View Full Version : backyard mechanic

BooBooMyKy
07-10-2008, 12:16 PM
anybody know any resonable backyard mechanics with know how to change a heater core in a 97 ford expidition .....i'm stuck and really don't want to put lots of money in to this truck cause it has almost 300k but i need somekinda way around ..so any and all suggestions greatly appreciated
cheers darren

cuteandcuddly
07-10-2008, 03:17 PM
I will ask my hubby when he gets home if you are still interested

Canwrench
07-10-2008, 04:42 PM
if you are short on the cash and want a temp fix just bypass the heater core so you can drive it

BooBooMyKy
07-11-2008, 01:41 PM
wellll i took the truck to a garage yesturday and they said it was the heater core ......i was talking to some ppl last night and they said that it was not cause if it was the heater core that it would've leaked inside on the floor so now i'm even more confused hmmmm ay suggestions

puppy
07-11-2008, 02:25 PM
heater cores do not always leak on the floor in the vehicle..so if the garage told u it was the heater core then it is..they can go and not leak on the floor..there is a way to check the hoses for the heater core...

Barry Morris
07-11-2008, 03:49 PM
The heater core is inside a "box". Usually it will leak inside the vehicle. Sometimes the coolant runs right down the firewall and UNDER the floor mats, so you wouln't notice it right away.

Another symptom is a mist on the inside of the windshield and an odor of coolant in the vehicle when on defrost.

If you DON'T have these symptoms, you may be losing coolant elsewhere.

What exactly Is going on??

BooBooMyKy
07-11-2008, 04:27 PM
k i took the truck to a guy and he said it was the heater for the rear heat so i told him to by pass it and all b good....then he calls me back and says theres no rear heater so it must be the heater core cause the only part it seems to be leakin is undernieth the truck by the front passenger seat.....i'm told it could be transmisson coolant but if i put water in my overflow container it will leak out. but i have no idea so any info helps and greatly appreciated.(widows never foged) have smelt antifreeze a little a couple of times)
cheers darren

Anapeg
07-14-2008, 09:09 AM
Canadian Tire or any reputable dealer sells a sealant called Aluma(sp) seal. Read the instructions and proceed. This should temporarily alleviate your distress until you can rationally make a decision regarding the heater core. I have successfully used this item on various occasions and find it far superior to Barr's leak and such. My personal "beater" survives today thanks to Aluma seal and just returned from Timmins without incident.