PDA

View Full Version : 2nd baby shower

BooBooMyKy
07-12-2008, 10:22 AM
Is it true that a lot of people still don't beleive in have a second baby shower? We had one for the first and it was quite large....infact almost to large but for the second my mother wants to have a small one at her house, however we have been told by one person that a lot of people don't beleive in them. Everyone else that i talked to says is fine, that all babies deserve a celebration. What do all of u think?

Simba
07-12-2008, 10:23 AM
I think it's normal to have a second one. I had 3!!! LOL!!

Peety
07-12-2008, 10:34 AM
One women had 4 kids and she had a shower for each.The other women were calling it a gift grab.
How much stuff can one baby use.
My showers were 20 years apart.
I thought was quite nice,,I did't have one baby item.

BooBooMyKy
07-12-2008, 10:45 AM
The second one we are having is very small and i didn't register for anything beacase i don't need mush. We are calling it a diaper and linnen party. I dont want the people to feel obligated in any way. I just wanted to have a gathering and celebrate the new baby.

Verotik
07-12-2008, 10:47 AM
we had one for each of the first two, then the third didnt get a shower

Tutones
07-12-2008, 10:48 AM
Baby showers are traditionally held for the first child only. If someone else wants to put on a shower for you for a second child, they should try having a 'casserole' shower where everybody brings a precooked frozen casserole (enoough to feed the family) and stock your freezer for the new baby's arrival. Having healthy pre-cooked meals is more precious than gold when a new baby arrives and you are too tired to cook for the family!

Peety
07-12-2008, 10:53 AM
I think the older women think its only for the first.
I also think that is you have one shower you end up with alot.
Most people are prepared along time ahead.
I know I bought everything I needed it was hard for people to buy gifts for me.

yoda
07-12-2008, 11:59 AM
I held a 2nd baby shower for my daughter in law and we invited just the immediate family. It was held at home and everyone showed up. It was wonderful to have the family together to welcome the little one into the world and enjoy each others company (something we rarely have the time to do). Go ahead, do it!!

BrAt
07-12-2008, 01:16 PM
I had a shower for each of my 3. Of course, my children are boy, girl boy and the 2 boys are 12 years apart so..

Each of my showers were small with only very close friends and family and it was really more just to get together and have a good time. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I see no reason for having these huge wedding and baby showers where everyone under the sun is invited including family you don't interact with, friends of friends, friends of family etc. To me, that's just greed. I also don't see the need for more than one shower for one baby (unless the 2 families do not get along).

But, go ahead and have your small second shower.. it will be nice to get together and visit with everyone you care about while you still have the time to do it. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

bluekrissyspikes
07-12-2008, 01:19 PM
i didn't have a baby shower for any of my kids but if you just want to have a small celebration to welcome the baby, why not?

Intangible
07-12-2008, 02:07 PM
I think Who?Me? has a great idea. Speaking from experience, the casserole idea would be superb! Other than that, having a big shower for the second child sounds greedy. Immediate family, okay. It would be nice to get them all together.

AngelOnHigh
07-12-2008, 02:16 PM
I had a shower for each of my kids... but they are ten years apart and i was starting all over again! lol.

it is up to you what you want to do.

Sophie's_Mommy
07-12-2008, 02:21 PM
i think 2 baby showers are fine, my mom is having one for my side of the family then another one for friends and hubbys side of the family. Then the house is not overly packed and everyone can meet the baby. I like having a baby shower after the baby is born, then they can meet the baby and know what is needed and what the sex is.

07-12-2008, 02:38 PM
I know a girl who had 3 baby showers, and the 3rd child had 3 showers itself!

BrAt
07-12-2008, 04:36 PM
Horrible.

goodasgold
07-12-2008, 06:49 PM
I had a baby shower for my first and my third. Since my middle was another boy I didn't think it was necessary. My third was a girl and I wanted the girly stuff for her, so it was known that big items weren't really needed. More of the pinks for clothes and bedding.

Barry Morris
07-12-2008, 07:16 PM
In my experience, the second and third child is lucky to get a BATH, let alone a shower!!!!

she
07-12-2008, 07:20 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barry Morris</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In my experience, the second and third child is lucky to get a BATH, let alone a shower!!!! </div></div> /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif

she
07-12-2008, 07:23 PM
I found the following info online....

"What about a baby shower for an expectant mother who already has one or more children?
Traditionally, a baby shower is given only for the 1st child. Most mothers have most of the essential baby items after the 1st baby (like a crib, stroller, child safety items, baby monitors, etc). But each child is special and unique, and so it is very common for an expectant mother to receive a baby shower for each child. And there is just something about a baby shower that makes having a baby more exciting and the mother feels strengthened and loved. Regardless of how many children a mother may have, pregnancy is hard and scary EACH TIME! A baby shower helps in many unspoken and unseen ways. Because a 2nd time mommy already has the "big" essentials, gifts of diapers, burp cloths, baby lotion, formula etc. are excellent. Also, gifts to pamper the expectant mother are wonderful and fun ideas. "

Giggle Squirt
07-12-2008, 07:33 PM
I had a shower for my first son, and for my second son... it was called a shower but it was more of a meet and great. Guests were told that they didn't not have to bring a gift, but some did. It was more of a lunch buffett thing. Either way, i think each baby is special and deserves a celebration for it's arrival... Not all mutiple showers are out their as a money grab. Even with my first shower, i didn't get anything big.. It was aagin more about the baby himself. Once you have the baby none cares about you anyways LOL it is all about the baby.

CyLixx
07-12-2008, 07:36 PM
I had a second shower...they were 6 yrs apart...But when I had my shower I told ppl that I dont need anything ...But if they insisted on getting something, then I asked for everyday things to help stock up ..

So ppl bought me wipes and diapers and creams ...soaps and stuff like that..Just everyday things...

Giggle Squirt
07-12-2008, 07:40 PM
When i had my fist son, i asked for everyday things like diapers and wipes and stuff like that. It really helped me because i didn't buy any dipaers till my son was 6 months old... /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif But i went to my friends shower and she got no practical gifts.. I know she was only asking people for practical stuff like diapers and wipes and such when they asked what she wanted lol but no one listened and she got nothing like that LOL.. she ended up with 4 diaper bags and ton's of clothes that the baby didn't even fit it when it was born because it was so big.&gt; i am sure all the gifts were well intended... but i always try to bring or give something practical...

chase_me
07-13-2008, 06:15 PM
I had one for my first, then not one for my second, they were 22 mths apart and both boys. then one for my third, 7 yrs younger then my middle child and a girl.

But if you were not sure and wanted to you could put on the invitation, gifts not necessary.

Or have a diaper shower letting peopel know IF they want to buy a gift they can buy this size of diapers. SPlit up the sizes so you end up with a bunch of different sizes