PDA

View Full Version : kind of a dumb question but don't hate me...

Giggle Squirt
07-12-2008, 06:54 PM
OK!!! today on the way home from work, I ran over a lovely wheel weight and put a hole in my tire... So i went to put on the spare.. which is not even the same size or brand as the other tires on my vehicle... the problem is that the vehicle is full time 4 wheel drive. The tires on it are a LT 225/75R16 My spare happens to be a LT 235/70R16... How baddly will i chew up my transfer case if put the spare tire on to limp it to a store to get new tires????? But seriously.. who gets a spare tire for a 4 wheel drive vehicle that is not even the same size as the other tires???? But i guess it is my fault that i should of checked the spare when i bought it... /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

J*B
07-12-2008, 06:58 PM
It'll be ok to drive to get new tires, you won't be going far just take it easy.

My truck has 31/10.50/15's and the spare is a 235/15 (3 inches smaller in diameter)..

Jack Butler
07-12-2008, 07:21 PM
The same is true with doughnut spares.
They are always smaller and acceptable for a short period.

fenderbass
07-12-2008, 07:46 PM
its all about the diameter of the tire. If its all wheel drive or Auto 4wd then the diameter of the tires all have to be the same.Prolonged use with tires that are not the same diameter will damage the transfercase internal parts. don't drive to long on the spare.

Giggle Squirt
07-12-2008, 11:53 PM
Well thanks for the reassurance, but I have had kind of an intelligent moment... I have decided to just jack up the vehicle, take the tire off, and then just bring the rim to get new rubber... Because knowing my luck, I would go to back the jeep down the driveway and it would blow apart on me...

J*B
07-13-2008, 10:05 AM
I was going to suggest that but when you said "to get new tires" I thought you were going to buy 4 new ones!

fenderbass
07-13-2008, 11:02 AM
I hope if you are buying one tire its going to be the same diameter..Just because its the same brand of tire and same size
on the side wall, Don't forget its NEW!! that means there is no wear on it like the othe three tires. Thats what i was tring to tell you in the above post. No more then 1/4 inch diff. anymore then that will cause wheel hop and put extra load on the transfercase..

Giggle Squirt
07-13-2008, 07:38 PM
ya no worries.. I know... two new tires for the same axle!!! i know that size really means nothing it is air volume held inthe tire basically.. different tread patters and such..