PDA

View Full Version : internet ??

cybolynx
07-15-2008, 05:22 AM
meh take it as you wish ... just something interesting i think not all far fetched if you really think about it .. :S

http://ipower.ning.com/netneutralityold

Hans
07-15-2008, 07:17 AM
Does not matter. 2012 is the year the worlds is going to end, according to the Mayan calendar.

Madmax
07-15-2008, 11:57 AM
There is a new movie to be released next year called 2012.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1190080/

Asparas
07-15-2008, 01:54 PM
wouldn't doubt it. everything's a money grab nowadays.

rmkryan
07-15-2008, 08:08 PM
Not far fetched... have a hard time believing it though.

Hans
07-15-2008, 08:17 PM
Impossible, it's not a business model that would work. How many web sites are there currently available?

GenX
07-16-2008, 03:29 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hans</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does not matter. 2012 is the year the worlds is going to end, according to the Mayan calendar. </div></div>

The Mayan also popped so many mind-altering drugs that they died out as a population. They were so high, for so long, they couldn't run a basic civilization anymore.

I'll pass on accepting the Mayans as people to be trusted.

tired-n-cranky
07-16-2008, 03:56 PM
You people who don't believe it can happen.. well.. it can.

Rogers, Shaw, Bell, and soon to be Telus have all installed DPI boxes for inspecting/managing traffic. The machines are capable of much more than currently being used.

For example, the boxes Bell has installed, right now are only being used (that we know of) for throttling torrent traffic. BUT they can be used to keep a profile for your traffic, where you can go, what you can see, what kind of traffic you are allowed to use.

It is things like this why Net Neutrality is a MUST in Canada, just as it is being fought for in the USA, and around the world.

You pay for your connection, it should be speed based only, not what content you can or can not use over it.

Hans
07-16-2008, 04:58 PM
But Netdawg : how many web sites are available to a user atm? (Rough estimate)

mboy67
07-16-2008, 07:30 PM
Just look at what is being done in China, thier government is using both software and equipment to limit what is seen.

Hans
07-16-2008, 07:32 PM
Yes, but in the western world there's a lot of money to be made hosting web sites. That number is huge and part of a business model. Charging to access let's say CBC or CNN will just have others take over that market in a heartbeat, since nobody is going to pay to access that information.

tired-n-cranky
07-17-2008, 09:21 AM
It does not matter to the major ISPs.

They will have tiered pricing, where the "utlimate" package provides "semi" unhindered access to all websites.

Semi meaning that they will of course still filter out those "illegal" sites.

We are of course talking about the ISPs which also have a vested interest in television services, because they have been losing a lot of money because of the internet believe it or not.

Hans
07-17-2008, 10:33 AM
I do not believe it will ever happen, because you would have to take away to much.

cybolynx
07-19-2008, 12:33 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hans</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do not believe it will ever happen, because you would have to take away to much. </div></div>

you don't think for one reason our governments wouldn't allow this ...

heck they would endorse it and pocket all the extra cash ...

Hans
07-19-2008, 01:42 PM
What extra cash? You honestly think someone is going to pay extra to get to cnn?
Let me tell you what will happen if they try this : someone will develop a program that creates live proxy's of all the premium sites. It would be similar to P2P, but to share web sites. And sure, they can throttle P2P, but they can't completely cut it out.