PDA

View Full Version : 96 sunfire wont start

eagles
07-16-2008, 10:24 PM
i have a 96 sunfire with a 2.2 motor. i got done putting a used motor in that did run. everything is hooked back up but i have no spark.the engine turns over and there is fuel. it does have new plugs and wires. the wires are in the right order as well. i am stuck on what it might be.

Barry Morris
07-16-2008, 11:25 PM
Get the manual fro the library and follow the instructions on troubleshooting ignition.

Before that, though, check every single wire and connection and make sure there's good contact on all spots.

eagles
07-17-2008, 08:10 AM
i have gone thru all the wires as well as a friend of mine. all the connections seem to be good. i was thinking maybe the cam or crank postion sensor.or maybe the ingntion control module.

Barry Morris
07-17-2008, 01:32 PM
The manual will show tests for all that. Tedious, but effective.

eagles
07-22-2008, 08:17 AM
ok here is what i have come up with so far in my research. the cps is different from my 96 to the new 97 motor i put in. i have also found out that the ignition control module is also different. now if i change them both out in theory the car should then get spark. i have had one shop tell me this would work and another tell me that the motor is different and it wont work any ideas......